Close

Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window!
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window!
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-26-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi;
      Been a long time since I posted anything, but I have been hanging out here from time to time!
      Been interested in the stuff Dan has been doing.
      I recently bought a couple of his bodies. Both seconds, a 3 window and a phaeton!
      In this post I will show what I am doing to the 3 window and down the track I will show the phaeton.
      Firstly as described in Dan's ad in the classifieds the 3 window's body sides were bowed. The right side bowed out and the left bowed in, each side around 1/2". Dan's ad said this could be easily fixed with a heat gun, so I thought why not; so I went ahead and purchased this body. Well when I recieved the body, I thought what have I got myself into! But after an hour or so of careful heating on the low setting with my heat gun and manipulating by hand I was able to get the sides of the body into the shape they should be and lower edges conforming to the '32 chassis. So all was good. Sorry I forgot to take images of the body before the fix.
      Whilst working on the body and generally eyeballing it I noticed that the decklid and top of the quarter panel on the top left side was low. So I also wanted to rectify this. What to do? I decided that I would need to heat this area also and push it up. But because of the roof I had to do a relief cut above the body mold to allow the area that I would be heating, to move upward in the way I wanted it to. The image below shows the relief cut and the area after I had heated and push it up. Another good result, I was on a roll
      [/IMG]
      So I am working around the back of the body and I am not happy with the rear window I reckon it was a little lop sided to start with and is even more so since I did the fix on the deck lid. So this will have to be addressed also.
      When I ordered this body I didn't realise it had a chopped top. So that was a bit of a bonus when I got it, but for me it wasn't chopped enough, so that was the next thing on the agenda! Chopping the top more will also aid in the repositioning of the rear window.
      With this chop I would be laying the A pillars back so I decided that I would first remove the tops of the door frames before I removed the top as such. I did this because I felt it would be much easier to lay and realign the A pillars when the top comes down.

In the interests of me not messing up I will post this and continue with another post as I proceed!
      Geoff aka whodaky
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    So moving right along I have always like the Rolling Bones 3 windows out of New York state. As would have it I just happen to have a couple of how to articles on how these coupes were chopped so I decided to use these articles as a bit of a reference. The tops on these coupes were chopped a bit differently than what has become what is considered to be the traditional way ( although I think this new way is becoming a bit more common ). Basically this doesn't go straight through horizontally through the A and B pillars and straight across the back of the roof as you will see from the images!

As I said in the first post I am not happy with the rear window in the body, so this is the perfect time to work towards rectifying this. So I cut the lower section out and will refit it after the lowered top is back in position. Well that was part of the plan, I will also now be cutting out the top half of the rear window also and repositioning it slightly higher in the body; but this will happen after I have done all the cutting and got the roof top in it's finally position but not attached!

Will post this and do the next installment!
    Geoff aka whodaky

QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    So now with the top off the body it is time to take the amount off the pillars for the chop, I decided around 6 millimetres ( 1/4' ) would be about what I wanted. But instead of marking 6 millimetres on the pillars I marked 5 millimetres, this would give me a bit to play with for clean up etc. As you will see I only took this amount off the pillars and not the lower part of the roof section at this stage.

After this I trimmed the lower part of the roof until the pillars came together with no gap. When I got the roof into this position I decided I wanted to take even more out of the chop, so I took and 3 millimetres (1/8"th ) form the pillars; So basically the top came down around 9 millimetres (3/8"th). Of course lowering the top this much meant that the A pillars no longer line up and were sitting around 3 millimetres out of alignment. So this was the next thing to be addressed.
    To line up the A pillars I am going to have tilt the lower part of the pillar back and the upper part forward ( sorry I forgot to take an image of the misaligned pillars ) I wasn't keen on using the heat gun on the area of the lower pillars to get them to tilt back. So I decided I wanted to make a pie cut Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! at the base of the pillar. But unfortunately the door was in the way, so basically I cut down through the door gaps front and rear to the marks shown in the following image and this allowed me to carefully pry the door out and make the necessary cut at the base of the pillar. I also at this stage cut the corner off the front of the door, as this will also need to be laid back when I refit the door frame. When I did the piecut to the base of the A pillar I didn't cut it right off, I left it still attached to the body. In this state the pillar is very fragile and could easy break from the body so care must be taken when laying the pillar back, actually when I did the left side the pillar broke off on me. The top part of the A pillar on the roof section was easier to do as I used the heat gun to warm the area enough to allow the pillar to lay forward! With the roof just sitting on the body I am still going to have to do a bit of filing and filling on the A pillars to get them right, but I am pretty happy with where they are at , at the moment.

From here I will be preparing the roof for refitting using alignment pins for strength and position, but before the roof is attached solid I will be removing the upper section of the rear window for relocating! Oh and of course once the roof is reattched I can then do the upper door frames!
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited by whodaky; 10-05-08 at 04:13 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. mdlrk
    mdlrk's Avatar Guest
    Hi Geoff, I'm watching and learning. I am not planning on chopping my Deuce any more than it is. Yours is looking good. Rick
    I'll add this: very impresive tutorial and fast work getting to this point! I may change my mind and chop a little out of mine. Can't wait to see what else is up your sleeve on this build.
    Last edited by mdlrk; 04-26-08 at 11:30 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Thanks Rick, actually in between cutting on the 3 window I have been doing some serious work on the phaeton body as well. But I will leave a post on that until maybe next weekend!
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited by whodaky; 04-27-08 at 04:16 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Wow, what a great tutorial
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Nice to see you posting again Geoff, you're well on the way to a cool build. Don't forget to enter both car's in the Show& Shine, finished or not.

All you guys whacking on three windows have inspired me to build another Deuce so here's a couple of spy shots of the "Jagster". The body has been wedge sectioned and the wheel wells moved way up. I've chopped and sectioned a Jag roof that's about to be molded onto the deuce body. I've got a lot more plans for this car, including a wild Jag engine, but you'll have to wait until the Show & Shine to see it rolling.

I really hope that all the cars being built for the Show & Shine will inspire more of you (including our Moderators) to start building again. C'mon guys, you've still got over a month!
    Attached Images Attached Images Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window!-p1010005-jpg  Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window!-p1010006-jpg  Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window!-p1010007-jpg 
    Last edited by Rick; 04-27-08 at 05:57 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh wow!! That's on the order of my Frankendeuce but with a bigger chop and more extention on the backlight. That's got to look outrageous when it's done.

Hey Geoff, good to see you here again. That chop is perfect. I'm sure you've done the real thing a few times.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Since my last post with images on this thread I have drilled the body and roof pillars for alignment pins. Because of the angle of the 'A' pillars I didn't want to fit the alignment pins vertically. So they were going to be fitted running with the angle of the pillars, this meant that the pins in the rear section of the top would also have to run at the same angle,to allow the body and roof section to come together easily and with out introducing any undisirable stresses! I thought it was going to be a real pain doing the angled alignment pins in the rear of the body. But after thinking about it and then doing it, it was quite easy. Basically I chose what I considered to be the best place to have these in the rear of the body and it's adjoining roof area. Then on the body I eyeballed and drew a line on the body running at the same angle as the 'A' pillars. This would be the guide for the angle I would drill the alignment pin holes at.

The second image shows the pins in the rear section of the roof, the pins are in the body section of the 'A' pillars.These pins will be glued in when I am gluing Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! the bottom of the body to the roof section. That way I still have some degree of movement. Note in some cases this degree of movment may not be necessary, just in this case I think it is desirable!

For pins I used 1.2millmetre aluminium TIG wire. The aluminium is soft enough to allow some 'bending movement' when all 4 pins are in positon. To also allow a bit of 'give', after drilling the alignment pin holes slightly oversize; I tapered them slightly top to bottom to give me a bit of 'lead in' when bringing the body and roof together. It really is amazing how this pinning Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! method secures the two halves. It allows one to have a free pair of hands whilst not having the body stuck back together. Which is good because there is still a lot of eyeballing to do before I do finally reattach and secure the body and roof back together.
    Also whilst I had the roof off the body I took the opportunity to sand Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! and even out the inside of the roof section. No one will probably ever see that I have done this, but I did it anyhow.
    At this time I have also cut the top section of the rear window out of the body. The upper and lower sections will be joined together as a unit. After the the bottom and roof sections are stuck back together I will refit the rear window back into the body in correct alignment!
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited by whodaky; 10-05-08 at 04:17 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Yesterday in the afternoon I commenced the sticking back on of the roof. Because of the thickness of the resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! body the attachment points of the roof to the body have a fair amount of surface area to apply what I would using to stick to, to permanently reattch the top to the bottom; so to speak. But me being me I wanted just that little bit more.
    To do this I ground slight slots in the areas going around the lower rear of the roof and on the roof piece . I also ground in a concave rounded depression on the mounting points of the 'A' pillars in front of the locating pins. This may well and truly be overkill, but for the time it took I think it was worth it ( I use this technique on the 1/18th diecasts I modify, mainly because, with those I am working with way less surface areas )
    The image below I have put a dotted line in the area where I have ground in the slot. You can make out the slot in the vertical section of the pillar, but it can barely be seen in the horizontal area, hence the dots! ( just poor photography by me I guess! ) The bigger darker dot indicates the location of the locating pin hole, I mentioned in my last post!

The 2 shots below show the roof reattached permanently. In the first of these images, you can see a small piece of paper in the door gap adjacent to the join in the 'B"' pillar. This door gap was cut right through earlier in this top chop to allow the door to be pryed out slightly for the reworking of the 'A' pillar. I put the piece of paper in the door gap to stop the adhesive being used joining this area back together. Because it may be an advantage to me later for this area in the door gap not to be permanently glued. For me thinking ahead is an essential part of my model building. Well actually an essential part of anything I do!
    Also at this time of reattaching the roof I took the opportunity to use the excess of adhesive I was using to apply as filler on the external surfaces of the 'A' pillars!
    [/IMG]

I mentioned on my first post about chopping this body, that this chop wasn't being done in what may be considered the 'traditional way'. At this stage we can see with the roof reattached that we don't have a joint lining up with the joint in the 'B' pillar going around the vertical section of the roof ( this join would be in the area of the red dots). This means we don't have an area in that section of the roof that would require to have filler added. With the joint running around the base of the vertical roof section in the area of the body mould, means that there is virtually no filler required. Although in my case because I have cut the rear window out, I will have to add filler when I re place the rear window.
    I just read all I wrote and hope it all makes sense!
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited by whodaky; 10-05-08 at 04:20 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    OK, I can hear Don talking to his computer screen, reading the above post! Saying, but what did you use as an adhesive/filler?
    Well firstly let me say working with the 2 1/8th resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! bodies as I am at the moment is the first time I have seriously worked in resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! ! So I needed a bit of guidance, so I got that from one of Don's posts, re working with resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! !
    For me one of the greatest revelations in modeling for a long time, was learning from again a post by Don, was being able to weld plastic. Unfortunately you can't weld resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! !
    So with the information from Don, re working with resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! I hit the hardware store and the adhesive section.
    My supply fo JB weld was getting low, so got more of that. Some other model friends had said they use Loctite superglues in some of their model building, so got some Loctite Quiktite Gel. Also looked at other stuff and got some Selleys Knead it epoxy Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! multi-purpose putty Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! .
    For reattaching the roof on the 3 window I used the JB weld, because I have used it extensively on my Diecast models and know that it is very versatile and is very workable because it doesn't set 'rock-hard'! It also works great as a filler material.
    In my thread on the phaeton I said I added material to the inside of the body to reinforce the corners of the tub section. What I used there was the Selleys Knead it putty Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! .
    Prior to that what I used to glue the piecut section described in the phaeton thread was a mixture of regular super glue and resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! dust. The glue flowed into the joint and resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! dust added. I need to mess around abit more with how I do this though. Also at this time and before I added the Sellys putty Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! I put an application of JB weld on the inside of the glued pie cut Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! joint.
    As I said working with resin Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! is all new to me. So I am sure the more I work with it and have to stick more stuff together I am sure I will develop a better idea of what is best to use for the application I am working with at the time! it's all a learning experience!
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited by whodaky; 08-23-08 at 07:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. danhay's Avatar Established Member
    Wow! That chop reminds me of 3W Larry's Deuce on the HAMB... I don't think I have a pic, but I bet if you search you can find one... This is a compliment by the way, Larry's coupe is one of the greats!
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Hey Danhay, I am familiar with the 3 window you are talking about. Yes it is great car, I am not a fan of the bombers seats though. But he had a concept and stuck with it, got to admire that!
    Not sure what style and direction this 3 window will take. I may only just get the body into shape and it will sit. I tend to do that a lot. But hey we will see!
    geoff aka whodaky

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Got a bit done on the 3 window body this week. I have reshaped slightly back window surround. I have now glued the 2 halves back together and will do a little sanding Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! and filling and it will be ready to re-attach to the body!
    I have been sanding Someone Else Cutting Up A 3 window! on the 'A' pillars and this morning I did some filing and fitting of the right hand door window frame.
    So I thought I would take some images and while I was going to do that why not do a bit of a quick mock. For inspirational purposes. This may not be the style the coupe takes though!
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [/IMG]

Last edited by whodaky; 05-09-08 at 10:21 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I like it Geoff! Why not keep the rest of the work under wraps and roll it out (even if its unfinished) at the Show & Shine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15