Close

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 09-27-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here are a couple of shots of the large scale hot Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project rod I'm building.
      The body is styrene Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project sheet, the frame is steel tubing, and the engine block is mostly "VisableV8" with a lot of mods. The suspension is aluminum and steel.

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-front-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-pipes-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    David, your hot Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project rod looks fantastic......would love to see more photo's of it!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I 2nd that request.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    More pictures of the coupe build. The body is made from styrene Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project sheet, polystyrene Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project foam and body filler.
    All of the suspension is machined from aluminum and steel. The carbs are cast in urethane Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project resin Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project . Exhuast
    pipes are plastruct bends with "welds" made of super glue and talc mix. The front wheels are printed and
    cast in polyurethane resin Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project . Chassis is steel tube. The bits you don't see, don't get built such as underneath
    and interior. Thanks for looking.

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-axle1-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-axle2-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-body1-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-body2-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-front-wheels-castings-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-wheel-mold-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    David, this thing is amazing. Its clear you've been at this some time. Do you have other projects you could share with us. Some of your older builds perhaps.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Man...this thing is COOL! More photos...more descriptions...more of everything please!

Awesome job David.

Doug
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    This is really cool!
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Yeah - that front end suspension is mind boggling.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. jfonticobal's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Javier
    Nice nice nice. How did you do the body?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    Thank you for comments, I've uploaded a few photos of the body construction. It's the old school method. I was going to use a cnc router I built to do the master in pieces but it is at another workshop and this method can be done at home.
    The carburetor venturis are disposable wine glass stems cut on the lathe. Also pittman arm, coil, and fuel filter.
    I was going to mold the body and lay-up in tissue but I will use the master as the finished piece. Since it will have dark tinted windows to hide the lack of interior, I can use this body. Still have to add window surround details.

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-bits1-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-body-construction1-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-body-construction2-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-venturi-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    Wow is all I can say! Fantastic looking model and the machine work is top notch.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. bobjeffreson's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Bob
    Beautiful work dpride, Reminds me somewhat of the work of German sculptor Martin Heukeshoven.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    Thanks guys for replies.
    @ Bob, Martin Heukeshoven's bus reminded me of this model we (model crew) built for a children's series for television. I brought it back from our storage area to restore and display. It is the biggest of three different scale models for motion control filming. It has mounts (under removable panels) at four different angles. It is too heavy to sit on it's wheels so I will make a stand. It was a "flying bus" and had working lights, smoke plumbing Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project , and a balloon for lift.
    I'll photograph some of the other projects soon.
    Thanks for looking.

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-bus1-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-bus2-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Dang! Now that's what I call large scale. I'm glad to see someone breaking the 1/6 barrier to 1/4. I can just imaging the detail and working features you'll put in.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I learned a new one today. Never even knew about Heukeshoven. Thats one Ill have to look into.

@David. This built is just to cool. Cheap plastic wine glasses for velocity stacks, now that's building outside the box.

How about those wild headlights, where did you find those ???
    QUOTE QUOTE #15