Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 09-27-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here are a couple of shots of the large scale hot Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project rod I'm building.
      The body is styrene Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project sheet, the frame is steel tubing, and the engine block is mostly "VisableV8" with a lot of mods. The suspension is aluminum and steel.

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-front-jpgArticle: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rr-pipes-jpg

Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    @ Jeffery, I built this 1/4 scale so I could put one of the 1/4 scale girls I have built with it.
    @Daniel, The lights were on the ceiling of our house when we bought it. (faux art deco)

I have to spend some time at a real job for a while so the car will have to wait for a few weeks.

QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    I've been away working on a 'real job' for a few months. Here are some pictures of recent progress. The body is almost finished. Window sill and hinges are done. The sill moldings were customwood (mdf) pieces milled, routed, and slotted on the back to allow bending to match the body curve. I turned the front tire master from mdf and primed and sanded smooth. Rubber mold and slush molded the tire halves. The rear slick (just the wall) is being printed now because I wanted to have the "nostalgia" white wall style. To machine the letters would be quite a setup to mill so printing is much easier. More soon.

Attached Images Attached Images Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-view-jpg  Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-front-tire-mold-jpg  Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-front-tire2-jpg  Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-body-3-4-rear-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. mad mike's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by dpride View Post
    @ Jeffery, I built this 1/4 scale so I could put one of the 1/4 scale girls I have built with it.
    @Daniel, The lights were on the ceiling of our house when we bought it. (faux art deco)

I have to spend some time at a real job for a while so the car will have to wait for a few weeks.
    YEAH! Girls and cars - ultimate combination!!! Can't wait to see those girls of yours, I have made some 1/8 gals too and they were the main reason I started with eight-scale cars in the first place, just to have something nice in the background
    I have to do some nice photos with them someday...

Anyway, keep going with that monster rod! Looks great!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Wow....that looks great!
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    that is incredible!!!!!!!! i have just one question. where the heck do you put that thing when it's done? you'll have to build a 1/4 scale garage for it. hehe.
    never poke a sleeping bear with a pointed stick!
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    Thanks for comments, I'm back into it now for a couple of days. Done front tires, paint and windows.

@ mad mike, I have a cabinet full of 1/4 scale girl models but I still have to make another one to fit with the car.
    I think rockabilly style will fit. Most of the girl will probably be printed. I have nearly finished the Zbrush model of her.
    Would like to see what you came up with.

@ comp1839, I'm building another cabinet for the car......a 1/4 scale garage....hmmm.

More pictures when the sun comes out.

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. mad mike's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by dpride View Post
    Thanks for comments, I'm back into it now for a couple of days. Done front tires, paint and windows.

@ mad mike, I have a cabinet full of 1/4 scale girl models but I still have to make another one to fit with the car.
    I think rockabilly style will fit. Most of the girl will probably be printed. I have nearly finished the Zbrush model of her.
    Would like to see what you came up with.

@ comp1839, I'm building another cabinet for the car......a 1/4 scale garage....hmmm.

More pictures when the sun comes out.
    AWRIGHT! It's getting better by the post. A whole cabinet full of girls!!
    And you're scratching them too! I am just getting started with zbrush, up until now I've been converting Japanese figurines.
    This is a little teaser from my first car diorama (more will follow as soon as I find the time to take better photos)

Now it's your turn, let's see 'em gals
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Scratchbuilding the girls? Now that idea is something I could like. That reminds me of that movie Cherry 2000 with Melanie Griffith where they were building the robot women.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    Here are a few pictures of the ones I can show (adults might be watching) and at least there is a vehicle in the shots (some people may be able to spot it).

The "Bazooka Girl" is a 3D print (except clothing and props) and the biker was modeled in Super Sculpy.
    The bike is mostly heat formed styrene Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project and the tires were printed in low res styrene Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project .

Attached Images Attached Images Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-girl-models-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. mad mike's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Yep, that ride's famous. I'm missing that coat of stickers though

And for the girls - wow! You'll be able to make some reeeally nice photos once you've got your Rod done.
    Can you give me some advice about doing the hair and clothes?
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    I have a few more parts on the car and it should be complete in about a week.
    Here is photo of wheel and tire molds and the almost finished assembly.

mad mike, I don't know if we should discuss hair and fashion on this forum.

Attached Images Attached Images Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-rear-tire-wheel-molds-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. mad mike's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Guess you're right, this is not the place for that kind of modeling.
    Do you have any other places where I can have a look at your GREAT work?
    Maybe in the Dioramas section of this forum?

And those wheels look great. The rims and tire face were printed? Can you tell me which machine did those?
    Did you have lots of finishing to do? The lettering looks really good!
    And what kind of resin Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project do you use? For such high-volume parts, I can recommend "Feather Lite" from Smooth-On,
    it has only 0.7 density and is therefore cheap and easily machineable.

I really have to salute someone who tackles such a big project with that detail grade and speed.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Guess you're right, this is not the place for that kind of modeling.
    As long as they are BIG SCALE!
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    mad mike, the wheels (front and back) were done at Shapeways because they are big enough to stand the slight sandy texture that the "cheaper" material has. It works because the wheels are cast "nostalgia mag type" 1/4 scale helps also. The rear tire was stereolithography @ 16 micron layer and was not cheap. The molds are Smooth-on and they work okay but the resins from them have not worked for me as they are full of bubbles when cured. I use BJB TC808 and it is not the cheapest but I don't have to use a vacuum chamber. It has a pot life of 2 1/2 mins so you don't have time anyway. The grill shell, front and rear wheels and tires, and carbs are all TC808.I also use it to slush cast the heads of all the figures so the heads are hollow to allow the German glass eyes I use to be set in from the back. The clothing is old stocking pieces soaked with superglue and the hair is either real human or good quality fur fabric........and they're not dolls (said in a deep voice)

Ton.....I have made bigger ones.

QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    I have another rig (real) to design, so I am posting progress pictures untill I can get back to finish it. Still have windows, wiring, weathering Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project and rear axle to go. I looked for weeks for a suitable weird radiator badge and it was right in front of me all the time. The little logo on my briefcase.........rip. The paint is automotive "duco" with flatting agent. It is the base for the weathered look. The whitewall part of the slick is the white urethane Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project casting Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project protected during spraying with masking Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project fluid. All the surfaces are a bit too squeaky clean right now.
    I finally figured out what Christmas means....the stores are closed!
    Hope everyone has a good one.

Attached Images Attached Images Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-dec-1-jpg  Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-dec-2-jpg  Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-dec-3-jpg  Article: 1/4 Scale Rat Rod Project-dec-4-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #31