Close

Thread: A Wild Find

Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-04-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

When I was visiting family up in rural Illinois, I found something I never knew existed. Back in the late 70's or early 80's, Mattel, the maker of the famous Barbie Doll put out a Barbie 57 Chevy convertible. From what it looks like to me, it's pretty close to 1/8 scale if not right on it. I'll have to do a little measurement comparison to make sure but it's definitely bigger than the Revell A Wild Find 1/12 scale model. The body looks pretty good and the chrome parts like the bumpers are not bad at all. It has an interior which can be used to make a new one but there's no engine. It's basically a curbside. With some scratchbuilding and slight modification, this can be made into a pretty convincing model. Besides it only cost me 28 bucks. It's going to be a future project.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. danhay's Avatar Established Member
    HAHAHA! Yes! My sister had one of those.. let's just say that when she wasn't home, Barbie became quite the daredevil, jumping anything and everything with wooden ramps I made in the driveway..
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm glad someone knew of that car. I'll get some pics of it and show the body. Then I'll ask everyone what they think of the proportions and what mods they would make. I want to build it like the one in Eddie and the Cruisers. I'll have to go look that one up first.

A Wild Find
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    That Mattel '57 Chevy is a 1/8 scale... All the Barbies and the the GI Joes are based off of that scale. You can add a G.I. Joe to a Deuce roadster and throw Barbie in there also. It would be a perfect match! Ken??.... I don't know no Ken.
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 01-05-08 at 02:55 PM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Wheeeeeee....you guys need to go build somethin". The Barbie '57 is gonna take some work to get it where Jeff wants it to be. It's big but the proportions are out of whack.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Exactly. The body will need a few bits of surgery but at least it's closer than trying to scratchbuild one. The body isn't styrene A Wild Find so I think I've got some designs to work out. The engine and rolling chassis should be less of a problem. Time to get out the ruler and calculator.

A Wild Find
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6