Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-02-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I was at HobbyTown a few days ago, checking out the “After Chrismas” bargains (there weren’t any!!!) Anyway, while I was there this kit caught my eye:

I was planning to scratchbuild an early-style dragster using the Big T as a starting point, but this model is exactly the type of car I had wanted to do…so I had to have it! The box is huge…almost 3 feet long! The kit stuck halfway into the aisle…it was pretty hard to miss. Anyway, when I saw it I had to have it.

This is the reissue of an older version that used to be motorized. This reissue doesn’t include the motor anymore, but all the associated shafts, gears and linkages are still here…even the battery box! The cool thing is, even though the motor isn’t included, the parts that were originally motorized still work. You can turn the kit’s rear wheels, which are connected to the crankshaft, and the blower belt will turn!

The model has enough parts included to build either a single engine car or a twin-engine version. The rear end has internal gears that work (!), the blower pulleys and belt turn…it even has an operational clutch!There are options of open chassis or enclosed bodywork, 2 sets of front wheel/tire combinations, single or dual fuel tanks, and [B][I]5[/I][/B] possible intake options: blower with fuel injection, blower with triple-carbs, front-mounted blower (like the Orange Crate setup), and normally aspirated 3 or 6 carb setup! All the required scoops, intake manifolds, linkages, etc. for all 5 versions are included, along with ignition wiring, all fuel lines, even wire to create the fuel tank hold-down straps, chute release cable and emergency fuel shutoffs! And a very nice vintage-style decal Coolest model I've seen in a long time! sheet, too, complete with 2 sets of gauge faces-black or white background.

This thing is [I][B]too cool![/B][/I] If you’re into vintage drag cars, do yourself a favor and buy this kit. You’ll love it! The possible variations here are incredible...and if you throw in some leftover Big T or Big Deuce parts, you'll come very close to blowing your own mind!!!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    That is a cool kit.. Love the box art! It's better than the old one. What color styrene Coolest model I've seen in a long time! did they use this time? The ones I have are all white with the black engine componants.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    This one is molded all in white, plus the chrome parts. Strangely enough, the chrome parts are molded in black plastic!

Coolest model I've seen in a long time!
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Welcome to Lindy Land Harry. All you need now is their Tall T coupe and an exacto knife. Slam the top on the T and tub out the back...toss it on that rail, and hang on for the ride.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. mdlrk
    mdlrk's Avatar Guest
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lindberg-Extermi...mZ350011172752
    Seller has them for $83.35 shipped. Can't find one cheaper at this time. Hobby Lobby wants more for them, too. No deals in Denver!
    Last edited by mdlrk; 01-02-08 at 11:18 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Welcome to Lindy Land Harry. All you need now is their Tall T coupe and an exacto knife. Slam the top on the T and tub out the back...toss it on that rail, and hang on for the ride.
    Mr. Garret, you're beeing needed at IM!! :)'
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Get on the hobby lobby web site and check the weekly coupon! Alot of the time they will have the 40% off one item coupon! There is your exterminator!!!! Also guys I think I have one the orig. RED METAL FLAKE Coolest model I've seen in a long time! exterminator bodys. If anybody needs or wants it trade me some other goofy parts for it. Any body have anything that could pass for a bubbletop canopy in 1/8? I want to get really out of the box!!!!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've got a couple of older reissues done in white plastic. I forgot to check for a motor. I could have sworn the instruction sheet included one.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillbilly Rich View Post
    Get on the hobby lobby web site and check the weekly coupon! Alot of the time they will have the 40% off one item coupon! There is your exterminator!!!! Also guys I think I have one the orig. RED METAL FLAKE Coolest model I've seen in a long time! exterminator bodys. If anybody needs or wants it trade me some other goofy parts for it. Any body have anything that could pass for a bubbletop canopy in 1/8? I want to get really out of the box!!!!!!
    Rich....check out the R/C stuff at the Hobby Shop. You can find bubbles for aircraft and helicopters in almost any size or shape......hee, hee you could do like I used to and cut a section out of a clear plastic pop bottle, the 2-litre size has some interesting shapes.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillbilly Rich View Post
    Get on the hobby lobby web site and check the weekly coupon! Alot of the time they will have the 40% off one item coupon! There is your exterminator!!!!
    The Hobby Lobby by me doesn't carry this kit...

"What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    I think that after I build this one, I'll gather up all the extra parts, combine them with all my leftover Big T and Big Deuce parts, scratchbuild a frame out of plastic rod, and create a real "homemade", low-budget dragster. And after I do that I'll probably STILL have parts left over!!!

Ya gotta love 2- and 3-in-one kits!

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Think about all those extra parts. Way back when, that's the start of the old parts box. That's how I used to build mine up when I was a kid.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlrk View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lindberg-Extermi...mZ350011172752
    Seller has them for $83.35 shipped. Can't find one cheaper at this time. Hobby Lobby wants more for them, too. No deals in Denver!
    Get yourself a 40% off coupon that pops up frequently on the Hobby Lobby website.

Be aware that the kit is noticably smaller than 1/8th if you're planning on kit bashing Coolest model I've seen in a long time! .
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cline View Post
    Be aware that the kit is noticably smaller than 1/8th if you're planning on kit bashing Coolest model I've seen in a long time! .
    The engine block is almost exactly the same size as that in the Big T kit. Same with the magneto, valve covers, headers, etc. Looks to my eye that parts would be directly interchangeable. I don't see how it's noticably smaller than 1/8...unless the Big T is also smaller than 1/8.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Apples and oranges....the T engine is a small block Chevy, the engines in the Lindy kit are supposed to be early Fords. They really shouldn't be the same size.
    If you scale the parts in R/M's kits they are pretty close...Lindy on the other hand has their own special ruler. Case in point would be the wheels. They should scale out to 15' full size.
    Anyway, all I'm trying to say is if scale is a prime factor in your build, Lindy leaves a bit of room for improvement.
    Just my opinion gang, I kit bash 'em all the time, some cool parts.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15