Close

C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"
Accepted Payment Types

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-30-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I was gabbing with Rick t'other evening and discussing what's coming up for '08 and the forum.......
      A valid point was brought up and we thought about it for a bit and here's what we wound up with...

We have a number of very talented, experienced modelers that contribute a wealth of information and inspiration to the forum as well as new techniques....some of the best I've seen.

Rick and I thought maybe we were so caught up in all this that we might be overlooking the guys that are new to large scale modeling and the folks that might be a little intimidated by tearing up a new kit to build something a little different than every other T kit.

I need your feedback to determine if enough of you would like to do a step by step build along.
      Here's a quick overview of what you'll need if you want to have some fun....

T-kit (any flavor)
      Hobby shop sheet styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" and misc. plastic.
      Hobby knife C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" and blades
      Sandpaper
      Putty C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"

I'll sketch out the patterns for the body pieces and post them...there will be a ruler at the bottom of the page so that you can size them and print them out. Use them as patterns to cut out the pieces....the rest is easy...I'll go step by step through the assembly and you will be able to use it with your kit built T chassis and suspension etc. Any modification to kit parts will be minor.

So, as easy as pie. you can scratch build C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" a custom C-cab body or a custom C/cab Surf Woody....(balsa wood or craft store stuff, no exotic woods unless you want to personalize your version)

We won't be using lathes, drill presses, computer drawings or any of that stuff....just old school modeling.

So let me know and I'll pull up some of the old pics of the prototype I was working on to give you an idea of what it would look like.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by EstebanLoco View Post
    Either way Don, I'm not building the frame yet. Instead I'm waiting for the meat and potatoes. I wouldn't mind seeing how you mate the new body panels to the T cowl but I am intrigued by the possibility of an all new cowl. Either way - I'm still in.

Stevie
    Well in that case let's do both.
    I'll try to suggest options along the way, some basic beginner techniques and a few that require a little more skill. That should give everyone the opportunity to add their own creativity to this project.

Let's decide on the firewall.....I'm going to use the kit firewall as a pattern and trace it onto a piece of .040 or .060 sheet styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" . You can use the one in the kit as is if you like or sand C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" the details off. I want a smooth molded in look so I'll make one. If you decide to make one, don't include the frame notches or the tranny cut out yet.....just cut straight across the bottom. I'll post pics later this afternoon.

Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Firewall.......
    If you're using the new T kit firewall the first photo has an arrow on it.
    Near as I can figure that's supposed to represent a bell-crank, linage arms and return spring for the mechanical throttle linkage. The kit firewall also has fuel block for 6 carbs, the kit engine has three, and an indicated fuel line that should go to the fuel pump....that 45 degree bend in the fuel line is a NO, NO.

The second photo is a resin C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" casting C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" but it'll give you an idea of what a sanded down kit part would look like.
    If either of the above work for you, that's what you should do. My next post will be for folks that want a bit more that, we'll make one that better suits our needs.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-sw-001-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-sw-002-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    This is a really cool build. I won't be able to paricipate but I'm following it along like everyone else. there's a lot to learn here that i don't want to miss. You're doing a great job here, Don.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks Jeff.....feel free, building or not, to post your pearls of wisdom.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'm using .060 styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" for the added strength but .040 will do if that's what you have to work with.
    I traced the kit firewall onto the styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" ...the dotted line is the artsy fartsy bell-housing cut-out and frame notches. If you just want a smooth molded in look you can cut out the dotted areas.
    I'll cut mine out using the solid line, that way I can control how deep I want the notches to be and set the cowl height where I want it to be.
    The bell-housing opening will be circular and I'll make a bell-housing cover for the inside.
    I never have liked the way the kit piece just angled out one side of the opening to clear the starter. Click on the thumbnail if you want it larger.

Next post, I'll have mine cut out and we'll move on to mounting it and cutting the kit body.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-sw-003-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    These pics should pretty much explain where I'm cutting the bucket body.....
    I be using a coping saw but use whatever works for you. Don't throw away the piece you cut off, never know when you might need a chunk of curved plastic.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-buc-001-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-buc-002-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-buc-003-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-buc-004-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    It's all becoming clearer now oh wise one. Keep it coming.

Stevie
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    If you aren't going to use the exhaust pipe opening in the body, don't fill it yet. It'll be easier to take care of in an upcoming step.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Looks kinda' like a Jeep.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-001-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I traced a wheel rim on the firewall and cut out the bell-housing opening. Cut the notches for the frame rails with my favorite tool....the nibbler. Steve turned me on to this tool, it's cheap and is a real time saver, do yourself and favor and get one if you don't have it already.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-002-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Trace the inside of of the firewall onto a scrap of 020. styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" and cut out...sissors will work on this thin stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-003-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The first photo shows the inner and outer firewall pieces.
    2nd photo.......glue the outer firewall to the cowl.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-004-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-005-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Trace the firewall and frame notches onto the inner firewall, cut out and cement to the inside of the body.
    This should give us a good strong joint that won't crack later, and add some stiffness to the body.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-006-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-aaa-008-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'll give the assembly some dry time and then do a little sanding C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" so that I don't have to do it all at once later.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Time for a mock-up to make sure everything fits and set our stance.
    Mock-ups are an important part of scratch building, they allow you to make adjustments and tweaking before it turns into a real problem.
    I'm using the 327 (based on the kit engine) that I built in another thread that has a 4-speed Vette trans......well, case in point, I need to modify the cross member to drop the trans tail shaft down a bit.
    I want a slight nose down attitude and plenty of ground clearance for the oil pan.
    This is the point where you need to decide on tire size, suspension, engine & trans etc.
    I'm keeping the bottom edge of the body flush with the bottom edge of the frame.
    Here's a few pics of the mock-up.....please don't skip this step!

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-mo-001-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-mo-003-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-mo-005-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #46