Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-30-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I was gabbing with Rick t'other evening and discussing what's coming up for '08 and the forum.......
      A valid point was brought up and we thought about it for a bit and here's what we wound up with...

We have a number of very talented, experienced modelers that contribute a wealth of information and inspiration to the forum as well as new techniques....some of the best I've seen.

Rick and I thought maybe we were so caught up in all this that we might be overlooking the guys that are new to large scale modeling and the folks that might be a little intimidated by tearing up a new kit to build something a little different than every other T kit.

I need your feedback to determine if enough of you would like to do a step by step build along.
      Here's a quick overview of what you'll need if you want to have some fun....

T-kit (any flavor)
      Hobby shop sheet styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" and misc. plastic.
      Hobby knife C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" and blades
      Sandpaper
      Putty C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"

I'll sketch out the patterns for the body pieces and post them...there will be a ruler at the bottom of the page so that you can size them and print them out. Use them as patterns to cut out the pieces....the rest is easy...I'll go step by step through the assembly and you will be able to use it with your kit built T chassis and suspension etc. Any modification to kit parts will be minor.

So, as easy as pie. you can scratch build C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" a custom C-cab body or a custom C/cab Surf Woody....(balsa wood or craft store stuff, no exotic woods unless you want to personalize your version)

We won't be using lathes, drill presses, computer drawings or any of that stuff....just old school modeling.

So let me know and I'll pull up some of the old pics of the prototype I was working on to give you an idea of what it would look like.

C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I stopped at a mom an' pop hobby shop on my way to work yesterday and bought a 1/25 scale AMT C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" 1929 Ford Woody/pickup 4n'1 kit. This one has the woody panels and all kinds of stuff including a 20" bike with a banana seat... Ya remember those?? I could get all my dimensions off this kit and do the math work on it and convert it onto a T kit.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    .... One other thing... Who in the lower 48 states is looking for a brand new R-M 3n'1 T kit # 2617???
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    If you want to sell one Guido, put it in the classified section....Otay?

Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    OOPS!! My bad ... I'll work on it!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'm working with new parts, if you have a frame that was previously assembled stick it in the freezer for a while....if the glue is old enough it should separate easily with out breaking the plastic parts.
    Now is a good time to go ahead and build your long block, you'll need to be able to place it in the chassis to fit the body and firewall. I'm using the 327 I built in another thread using the kit small block. Any engine will do but it would be best to decide now.

First photo:
    The frame is held together with rubber bands and I'm establishing the ride height with my hi-tech jack stands.
    Second photo:
    Checking the oil pan clearance...looks good.
    Third photo:
    Don't forget to remove those cast in gussets.
    Last photo:
    I'll post patterns and dimensions this weekend to make your own front spring perch (that way you can decide on how much drop you want), or you can use either the standard or dropped kit perch that come in the kit.

Attached Images Attached Images C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-kiss-002-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-kiss-004-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-kiss-003-jpg  C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T"-kiss-005-jpg 
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    How many of you guys have noticed how much the front 1/3rd part of the T kit frame looks like modified Deuce rails, huh? Deuce rails with a Model A kick up welded to the rear. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. unknownname's Avatar Active Member
    Don, just the newer Big T kits, and the original kits have this kick up in the front. The Street T kits don't have it as bad.
    To me the Street T kits look more like a z'd model A frame.

Skippy
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Guido...I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse.
    If you can't print out the patterns....I'll do it and snail mail 'em to ya. So start gatherin' up the parts you want to use, you can work on this for fun and stress relief from the Citroen.
    Sure Don! I'd like that offer. Just don't ship me a 50 pound sack of cement (to make shoes out of) and don't make me swim wit' da fishes.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I picked me up some .040" styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" sheet stock and ready for this build. I'll be using a spare chevy 6 carb intake manifold from a PE-62 engine kit and carbs from a Lindberg dragster kit for the motor.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    .040 is a good all around stock. I try to keep .020, .040 and some .060 on hand along with tubing, angle and half round in various sizes.
    I use more .040 than anything else.
    I'm leaving it to you guys to use whatever you want for an engine and suspension, my goal is to show you how to make basic one off C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" bodies easily and have some fun. I'll give you options along the way to personalize your individual builds......when you're done, it will be "your" creation.
    Steve said he was in on this build and I'm sure he'll toss in a bunch of more advanced building techniques for those that want to take it up a notch.
    We're not going to race through this build so work on it when you feel like it....no stress, no deadlines, no complicated building and detailing unless you want too. You can't fall behind because all the info will be here in this thread...just print out the patterns as I post them and have fun.
    I'm sure I could get Mario to gladly do drawings in a hi-tech fashion but that would be missing the point to this thread.
    I'll hand draw the patterns with dimensions in old school inches for us analog guys and include a ruler at the bottom of the drawing. All you will have to do is size the ruler on a printer and you will have a full size pattern to transfer to the sheet styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" .
    Just to clear up any future confusion....the patterns are yours....copy 'em, use them, post them wherever you want, they belong to you.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Let's wake this thread back up.
    Everybody got the frame and engine sorted out?
    Nows the time to decide if you want to cut up the T body or make your own cowl and save the bucket for another project. We can go either way as these are custom bodies and we don't have to follow any set rules.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Either way Don, I'm not building the frame yet. Instead I'm waiting for the meat and potatoes. I wouldn't mind seeing how you mate the new body panels to the T cowl but I am intrigued by the possibility of an all new cowl. Either way - I'm still in.

Stevie
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Start posting away!.... I got all weekend off from work. I'm ready to build something.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Don. Like Stevie said "I am still in this build", but with the deuce as a platform rather than the T, which I am keeping for another project that I've got planned in the future. I have also got to replenish my supplies of styrene C-Cab/Surf Woody for the Big "T" , glue, paint etc.

I am going to start building again in the New Year, as it gives me more times to decide upon which style of body that I want to build.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Rob you will probably need to modify the Deuce frame and make some running changes with the dimensions I post but we'll help you along the way. You should wind up with a very unique build.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #31