Close

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-03-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

The Mad Fab 80s sprinter is almost complete and I shelved the F1 T Bucket until I get inspiration to finish it. Don Edmunds offers plans and a cut away of his Offy midget from the 60s, along with his super and sprinter from that era. So I'm going to buy the midget plans, they're cool and there has been discussion about midgets before. I would like to build this car and take the time to show how I build this from scratch. it is a lot of stopping and picture taking and I would gladly do that if you guys are interested in this. Just let me know, I'm ordering the plans today and will start in the next few weeks. 1/8 scale, 110 cu.in. Offy in a cage-less 4 bar chassis. I think I can make this a killer project. A some point we need to decide what historical midget it should look like when it comes to painting and all that. However, if you've seen enough of the circle track stuff, I understand. Ken

Build Photos

Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-edmunds-offy-midget-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Do we want to see the build in progress

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I concur and how about #98. I know the Agajanian Sprint and Indy cars run that number back in the 50s and I think the midget did too.

I tried to Google for the plans but could not find them. Cost?
    Last edited by sydeem; 06-03-11 at 01:24 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    go for it Ken I'll be real interested in watching the progress.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Syd, the plans are $47.50 for two sheets plus a cut away drawing of a 4 bar car. Spring cars are a little cheaper but no cut away. They're on his web site so Google his name or midget plans. Aggie had some great cars and drivers for sure. I remember going to a bunch of races he promoted. Big white cowboy hat, mustache, chewing a cigar. So, cool, I'm stoked about doing this. I think it will be interesting for all of us. All input and constructive criticism is welcome so please comment and thanks. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. bobjeffreson's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Bob
    sydeem,
    Here's the link to the plans.......

Don Edmunds Autoresearch
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Ken
    I wish you had mentioned this a couple of years ago as I had several sets of Edmonds plans along with some of Grant Kings plans. I gave them to a friend and if you get stuck on anything, I may be able to get some copies made.

Another source, if you ever intend to do a King racer, is the old AMT Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget 25th scale kits of his cars. They are fairly accurate and can often be found on Ebay.

I may have mentioned this before but if you can ever get to Fresno California in mid March, the Sabatini family put on a great tether car and model car show featuring Don Edmonds and many others who build model racers. In addition, the Sabitini family has some very exciting old sprint cars and midgets and everyone is invited to view their collection as part of the weekend.

Its a must do deal for guys like us.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Sounds like a thread that I would read! I am really getting into the scratc h building thing! Any thing with wheels I wanna see it!

I read somewhere about a thread regarding scratch building an engine from styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget , can anybody help me find it if it really does exist?
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    David: It's on page 5 of the building tutorials. Scratch building is a ton of fun. Syd: if you want to build this car I will make copies and send you the plans just send me your address through my PM. Rick; just my luck huh? I've seen some of the Sabitini collection and your right about it being a must. I lived in Fresno in the 50s when it was a hot Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget bed for racing. We pretty much lived at Kearney Bowl or Clovis on the weekends.
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 06-04-11 at 08:14 AM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. jarrow's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    What do they mean when they say "Single tube" or "4 bar"?

Thanks,
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    The four bar frame has two cross mounted frame tubes front and rear. These contain the torsion bars. One end is secured with an adjustable stop and the other end has an arm that sits on the axle. Single tube has one cross bar at each end that a cross buggy type spring attaches to suspend the axle. A lot of times torsion bars were used in the rear and a buggy spring was used up front. If you get a chance to look at the cut away drawings, on Edmunds site, the sprint and midget are 4 bar and the super has a spring front with torsion bars at the rear. Today's sprints use four bar and six bars or coil overs as do midgets. The latest is having four torsion bars up front, top and bottom of the axle on non wing sprinters. Is this way too much information? Sorry.
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 06-06-11 at 12:06 PM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. jarrow's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Thanks for the explanation.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Still waiting on the chassis plans so I have done a ton of research on the 110 cu.in. Offy motor. There's a web site that has dimensions and a guy in New Mexico builds these things and gave me a bunch of photos of every angle. I took all that and drew the motor to 1/8 scale and now have something to start building the engine with.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101e0552-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Excellent drawing! Now if you had just laid a ruler down there we could have copied it and any of us interested could scale it to actual size. It is good enough to be saved for a future project by all.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Or Syd, if you want a copy I'll mail it to you, same as the chassis plans( when I get them). Anyone that is serious about building one of these cars, I will help. I'm honored to do that.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #15