Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-03-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

The Mad Fab 80s sprinter is almost complete and I shelved the F1 T Bucket until I get inspiration to finish it. Don Edmunds offers plans and a cut away of his Offy midget from the 60s, along with his super and sprinter from that era. So I'm going to buy the midget plans, they're cool and there has been discussion about midgets before. I would like to build this car and take the time to show how I build this from scratch. it is a lot of stopping and picture taking and I would gladly do that if you guys are interested in this. Just let me know, I'm ordering the plans today and will start in the next few weeks. 1/8 scale, 110 cu.in. Offy in a cage-less 4 bar chassis. I think I can make this a killer project. A some point we need to decide what historical midget it should look like when it comes to painting and all that. However, if you've seen enough of the circle track stuff, I understand. Ken

Build Photos

Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-edmunds-offy-midget-png 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken what is your source for nuts and bolts and Heims?
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I don't permanently install the motor until it's almost done, just trail fit a million times. Doing the suspension next is the right approach, getting all that ride height and wheel base thing done as well as really supporting the car. The shocks will help and glue the torsion bar arms rigid. The motor's crankshaft and the quick change pinion all have to line up within a few degrees so that's why I trail fit the thing so much. Are you going to use that big Offy?
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    AN Scale detail parts has heims as well as an E-Bay guy just put in 1/8 scale model parts and that guy should show up ( they call em rod ends). Scale Hardware is one source for the bolts, nuts and washers. Get the 1mm and up size as the smaller ones look like file shavings and are useless to me.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    I think I want to keep the offy engine for display so after seeing your builds I'm thinking a small block chevy steel motor with Hilborn injection- I like the velocity stacks thru the hood.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I'm with you Joe, I like that look, also. I started on the frame, finally. The first picture shows how I, now, make radius main frame rails. I started out building frames from brass only and by necessity I evolved into making them out of styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget and brass tube. Locally I can only buy brass tube in 12" lengths which is usually a few inches short of what I needed. So now I just make the bends with brass, then plug them into the same size styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget tube. You putty Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget in the small joint before painting. The results are a much lighter frame, with better looking connections and far less filing and sanding Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget with no solder joints to clean up. It is also much faster. I don't use a jig to put it all together. I tape the tube to the plan and use a square to line everything up as I assemble the frame. Square up all the parts and check it several times as your going. Once the two sides are completed, including the torsion bar tubes that project outside the rails, I tape it to the plan view and put in the cross pieces using the square to check vertical alignment and the plan for horizontal alignment. Then start putting in all the brackets and gussets, etc. The whole thing took about 6 hours total to get the point it is in the last picture. As I've said before, I am constantly checking out how the motor fits. I haven't reinvented the wheel here, but I have found building frames like this is the easiest way so far. This one, I tried bending the styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget , for the hoops, and it worked okay. Need more practice though. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0666-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0669-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0670-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0674-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0682-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken, When you join styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget to styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget do you use the liquid styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget cement that is supposed the "melt" things together or CA or what? I seem to get some "cold" joints with the styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget cement even though I give it 24 hrs.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Joe, I have found that the cement works good laminating the styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget but the CA is the thing to use to attach parts and pieces, brass, aluminum or styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget to styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget . I also found it bonds almost instantly so you have to work fast, although you can pry it apart and try again. By the way your Don Branson Champ car is a work of art. I am building the Schroeder steering box with brass tube and styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget . Here are some shots up close of the front shock hoop bracket and radiator bracket and in the back; the oil tank support, roll bar support bracket and gussets. You can see where the brass and styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget meet (lower left picture) there is a chamfered edge at the joint that is easy to fill with putty Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget . Also note a small tube running through the torsion bar tube that lines the side and middle together and gives something to attach the bar arms to, just like the real guys. One last thing is that drawing I did and somebody made a blueprint out of is very cool. Thanks to whoever did that. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0687-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0690-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0693-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0692-jpg 
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 06-20-11 at 06:57 PM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Ctype's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Bill
    Ken,

This is really great work, especially for a beginner like myself, have subscribed to it from the beginning.

Can I ask how much time you put into a session? I'm really impressed with your progress. I've been working on my SB Chevy for over 2 weeks getting in an hour or two a day, maybe 4 hours on the weekends, and am just now finishing up the details on the block. Learned alot so far on this thread, and others, don't suppose you can tell me your speed secret.

Great work, keep it up.

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Thanks Bill and I'm sort of a beginner myself, in that I started building models 9 months ago. I'm a very lucky guy that has found an enjoyable hobby building the things that I love, race cars. I also am blessed with the fact that I'm retired and very little of life gets in my way of building, so I can easily put in 5 to 8 hrs a day, everyday. That's huge because your always thinking of the next move. I also spent 41 years building and designing things for other people; making their dreams come true. It's my turn to make my dreams come true. The more you do this, the better and faster you'll get, just like anything. Good luck with your project, enjoy every aspect of it. Thank you so much for the kind words. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Ctype's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Bill
    Retirement is good. I'm also retired, but do some part time work. I look at it as a paid exersize program. Have a few other items on my plate that use up some time, so maybe I'm not going as slowly as I thought. Looking forward to what's next in your build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken, It looks in the photo like the spuds for your pickup points for the radius rods are mounted on the gussets- am I seeing this correctly? Since you built the steering sector as 1 piece will it be permanently installed at the same time as the second support bracket? Have you got any drawings for a Chevy S.B.?
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Bill, I think you're right, we both spend about the same hours to get something done, I just can get more hours in during the day. Joe; The radius rod spuds are drilled through the gusset and glued; that's the way the drawing shows it. That's not the way it's done today as now we make those attachment points part of the vertical tube members. I don't have any drawings of the Chevy motor but found a ton of dimensions and pictures on Google. I also used a motor from a Big T as a template. If you want to borrow the block, heads and valve cover I will send them to you.Here's a shot of the steering installed as one piece. That is the way we used to do it only with clamps. I installed the motor (very tight fit), front motor mount,firewall/torque plate and painted the frame. I'm now building the radiator with brass sheet and styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget sheet and 1/8" tube. I'll cover the tube with small screen. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0704-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0694-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0699-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0703-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0706-jpg 
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 06-22-11 at 11:15 AM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Joe: here is a closer shot of the radius rod spuds and steering gear. Radiator tubes painted and a piece of mesh laid over it. I started on the in and out box by laminating .80 styrene Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget circles together. Test fit the radiator and installed spark plugs and wire boots. 115 degrees here today so there will be lots of indoors time. Between the extreme heat and high winds the whole state is on fire. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0713-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0717-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0711-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0707-jpg  Article: Re: Edmunds Offy Midget-101_0709-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken check my gallery for additional photos showing my progress. If you see things that are incorrect please mention them as it is easier to change things now! Your progress looks great. I may take you up on the motor offer but let me see if I can upscale from the 1/25 kit motor.
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    I talked to my daughter & granddaughter from Phoenix Monday and she said it was 112 there, well I don't want to rub it in but about 72 here today slightly overcast and a nice breeze. Relative to the steering sector it looks like you made the holes in the gussets slightly oversized so the shafts could be fanagled in. Does the rear motor plate serve as part of the firewall or is there a completely separate firewall?
    QUOTE QUOTE #46