Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-18-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Okay, I've decided to do a thread on my first 1:8 scale build. It is a "Big T" and even though you are probably tired of seeing them I hope to be a bit different. I will figure out how to upload photo's but probably not for a while.

All that is done so far is the finishing of the TDR Another "Big T" build. IRS to primered, the modification and finishing to primered of a TDR Another "Big T" build. IFS and custom V.C.'s, timing cover, oil pan and "functional" Dominator carb for the TDR Another "Big T" build. 350. I'll be ordering a 4 speed shortly.

Build Photos

Another "Big T" build.-mockup8-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Half shafts and wheel mounting hubs are mocked up, today shocks, brake pads and pistons for the calipers. TONIGHT I hope to have pics of a completely mocked up IRS!!!

Building with 1 1/2 hands is a slow process!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    PICS AT LAST! It's going to look really good once it is all dolled up and has the aluminum parts!
    USMC, Retired

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    USMC, Retired

4. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    That looks great. You're getting in to this scratch building stuff, huh? The cool thing is you can build anything you can think of or have a picture of. Nice work Marine. Ken(Army)
    Old Sprinter

5. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Ken, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. I have done some scratch building in 1:24/1:25 scale but this is MUCH easier actually. But I have to agree, yes, I am getting into it big time in 1:8 scale.

After my Big T is done I am going to build my '65 Vette Pro Street/ Pro Stock...kinda in the middle of those two phrases somewhere. Out of the kit I plan on using the body after opening the doors and tilting the front end, the hood after building a variant of a Stinger scoop with power bulges for the twin turbo motor, the dash board after it is modified to accept digital guages and the glass, for use as a template to make thinner Another "Big T" build. , more realistic glass. The rest is about 30% aftermarket and 70% scratch built Another "Big T" build. . It should be done sometime in 2016, LOL.

The next round of pics for this IRS will be when it is all primered and ready for molding. I'll do assembled and exploded pics so all of the parts can be seen. If you count each part down to the individual dust caps for the u-joints there are 77 pieces.

The finished product will be available in all resin Another "Big T" build. except for the springs all the way up to aluminum rotors (Slotted and cross drilled.), outer hubs, halfshaft yokes, dust caps and shocks.

Mine will be all dolled up with the aluminum pieces, I can't wait to see it done!
    Last edited by spinellid82; 06-23-11 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to put in some aluminum pieces.
    USMC, Retired

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Filling and sanding Another "Big T" build. and priming OH MY....

And so the tedium goes. Sometimes I wish I weren't such an anal retentive perfectionist. But then I look at a scratch built Another "Big T" build. GT40 or a brass Model T or '69 Camaro and remember that at least I am not alone in that aspect. Now if I were only as good as those guys.

Someday perhaps.
    USMC, Retired

7. semijoe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    joe
    the rear is nothing but perfection, love it man

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mighty fine David....lock & load brother.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Just imagine what I'll be able to do with [B]TWO[/B] good hands!
    Last edited by spinellid82; 06-29-11 at 09:45 AM. Reason: major typo
    USMC, Retired

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Went camping over the fourth, got food poisoning from some shellfish I ate on the way home...WANTED TO DIE! Better now so the finishing of the IRS resumes. Some of it is in primer Another "Big T" build. now and I did find the springs so it is gonna look AWESOME for the next round of pics.
    USMC, Retired

11. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    David; being "back on the block" has not been kind to you. Broke your hand flying a kite and got food poisoning camping! Ease into it.LOL I spent a week in the hospital for a sprained back and then dislocated my shoulder all within the first month after I got out of the Army. You build some cool model stuff, for sure. Ken
    Old Sprinter

12. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Well Ken, I have actually been out for about 5 years, after almost 6 years of surgeries and physical therapy. According to the Dr. that did the first 2 surgeries I am not even supposed to be walking...silly Navy Dr., MARINES can do tricks! It took me almost 4 years to get out of the chair and I'll more then likely end up back in one before I am dead but between now and then I plan on wearing out as many shoes as I can!
    USMC, Retired

13. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    David, thank you for serving and the sacrifices you made for our country. I want you to wear out a hundred pair of shoes or more. I'm truly sorry for my bonehead joking. I'm full of metal parts and use a cane (all non military stuff) so I can appreciate how it feels to be able to simply walk. Keep up your awsome work, buddy. Ken
    Old Sprinter

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I read no bone head joking Ken and I knew the risks when I signed up for the job. You had no idea and I was just letting you know a bit of my history. It's all good my friend!PS. I can still put a 30 caliber hole in a silver dollar from a half mile away! I love doing that! LOL
    USMC, Retired

15. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Been a long two weeks! Got a lot of stuff done, not necessarily all related to modeling. Making progress on the enigine for the T and doing some work on the '63 vette. Even managed a couple more days at the coast and built a shed in the back yard. THAT could have waited until the hand is stronger! Just before the site went down IO started a new thread on my 1:8 '63 Vette Prostreet...it disappeared so that is what I am doing next.
    USMC, Retired