Close

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-28-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I didn't start on it last weekend because of "Day of the Drags", but this weekend there was nothing going on, so here is what I've done so far on my next build.

I did a pie cut Dan's Deuce Take 2 in the front of the rails to sweep them upwards, as well as pinched the nose so the rails will tuck neatly behind the grille shell. To make the car appear lower, I also did a slight channel, but not too much because I like the look of the frame rails showing. I will need to section the radiator to get the hood to sit level, but I'm not sectioning the grill. That way the bottom of the grill should be almost to the axle to make it look really low.

Also, as you can see, I got some heads from the great Don Garrett (thanks again) and I'm going to modify the 6 deuce setup from the poncho to fit the ARDUN.

I plan to delete the stock gas tank and shorten the rear rails to stop with where the body ends, as well as retain a chrome spreader bar. For taillights I was thinking of using some 1/25 37 chevy headlights on the end of the frame instead of the 39 teardrops for something different.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    I really like what you've done with the chassis so far, especially the modifications that you've made to it.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Those are some good looking Arduns. How much lowering does the pie cut Dan's Deuce Take 2 alone give you?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thats going to be a nice build Dan. Have you considered takeing a slight pie cut Dan's Deuce Take 2 out of the cowl? Doing that will take the body line down towards the grill.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. danhay's Avatar Established Member
    HFC: I'm not exactly sure how much it lowers it, I measure by 'eyeball' ... also, the fact that I narrowed the front crossmember also brings it up a bit because instead of cutting it in the middle, I made two cuts on either side, so in turn that moves the center section upward.

RICK: that sounds like a cool idea, but I was sweating bullets cutting on the frame, I wouldn't be able to take the stress of cutting on the body! plus, the left frame rail is not holding too well where I glued it back together, I'm trying some creative reinforcing as we speak.

Dan's Deuce Take 2
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Dan, you might try cutting some scrap styrene Dan's Deuce Take 2 and stack it in layers inside the frame rails...finish it off by boxing the frame. It'll be plenty strong enough to support the car.
    Cutting up a new kit can be a bit intimidating but you're doing fine. Remember what Alfred E. Neuman always said "What Me Worry?"
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. danhay's Avatar Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Dan, you might try cutting some scrap styrene Dan's Deuce Take 2 and stack it in layers inside the frame rails...finish it off by boxing the frame. It'll be plenty strong enough to support the car.
    Cutting up a new kit can be a bit intimidating but you're doing fine. Remember what Alfred E. Neuman always said "What Me Worry?"
    I did that on the right side, and it's holding fine, however on the left side I made my cuts straight through the mounting bosses for the steering box... so I couldn't stack the styrene Dan's Deuce Take 2 . My next move is to grind out the bosses and lay in the plastic and either re drill the holes, or just make sprint car style steering where the steering box is under the dash and the pitman arm is on the cowl...

Dan's Deuce Take 2
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Dan.......many builders will take a 2" pie cut Dan's Deuce Take 2 out of the cowl and an almost equal amt Dan's Deuce Take 2 out of the grill shell to make the body lines flow, especially when running a hood. Cutting the body can be very intimidating but if you're only takeing out about about a 16th of an inch, its not tht big a deal. Carefull measurements and planning get the job done, and it would make a great tutorial. Anyway Dan, you're on the right track, just take it one step at a time.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Kinda like the sounds of the cowl mounted pitman arm....if you go that route try to keep it as low as possible on the cowl and parallel with the radius rods.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. danhay's Avatar Established Member
    Here's a pic of what I'd like to do with the steering. Only problem is I will have to fab an authentic looking Thomas or Halibrand steering box. These things are cool, my dad had one on his T bucket years ago, and my uncle has one in his T modified.

Pic of the steering box, mounts under the dash.

Dan's Deuce Take 2
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great pics, Dan. When you have the steering box installed, please take a pic of it so I can see how it looks in place. Thanks in advance.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Give it a try Dan, doesn't look too hard to fab...you could use the steering gears from the kit. You just might surprise yourself. If it doesnt work out all you've lost is a little scrap plastic.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    I think that is the way to go, as it will look really cool.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    If you break down the steering box into its component parts, it shouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild with various bits and pieces of rod and sheet styrene Dan's Deuce Take 2 .

However, if you want the box to really work...well, that might not be so easy. But since it's tucked up under the dash and not really visible on the finished model, you could always mount the kit box there.
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Dan. Any more progress on your build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15