Close

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-31-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

While watching Syds roadster build, I noticed that the kit rack and pinion looked pretty good. I managed to talk the good guys at TDR TDR Rack & Pinion into selling me two samples.

The catalogue R&P, shown in the bottom of the photo, is big and bulky and looks out of place when fitted to the TDR TDR Rack & Pinion IFS. On the other hand, the roadster R&P is a beautiful piece and almost perfectly scaled. When I get the time, I'll be adapting the new R&P to the IFS on my Willys and on my Deuce.

Lets hope that TDR TDR Rack & Pinion replaces the catalogue R&P with the new one AND that they adapt it to their IRS. This is a very well done product.

Build Photos

TDR Rack & Pinion-001-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Rick, they are 2 different styles of the rack & pinion unit. The lighter "looking" one is more in keeping with the design of the Roadster where as the other is a unit you'd expect to see under an earlier production Mustang etc.
    The heavier unit isn't going to be dropped from the catalog however.

If I was building a something like a '49 Merc, I'd want the heavier unit with the larger steering gears......besides, having the 2 allows builders a choice depending on what they are doing.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Don,

So it is okay to order the lighter version from TDR TDR Rack & Pinion ?
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Steve...just send a note to TDR TDR Rack & Pinion directed to Tim's attention...tell him what you need and he'll take care of it from there. Are you having fun yet?

BTW...did the stuff I sent show up?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Don, I'm having a blast. Your stuff arrived as well as my last TDR TDR Rack & Pinion order. Needless to same, I am chomping at the bit with new ideas. Thanks again.

Steve
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Another thing to remember about the two rack and pinion units is that the thin one, the one from the roadster, is a manual rack and pinion.

The larger one is more in line with a power steering rack and pinion. With power steering you have to have room for a hydraulic cylinder to help with the steering. That is why it would be fatter.

Oh, please drop by and visit us at the NNL East. we will have a table set up in the vender section

Tim
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6