Close

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-28-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Posting the 32 stock flathead engine reminded me of my original desire for a Pocher like stock 32 or 34 coup with mechanical brakes etc. I even tried to scratch build Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? the suspension but could not handle the shock and spring mounts and some other challenges. I think this would make an excellent classic detail model. Anyone else want to chime in and try to get TDR Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? interested? Doesn't seem like it would take too much design time would it?

Resin Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? bodies are already available. Might even have enough scrap or left over deuce frames laying around to simplify what needs to be designed.

This is where I died. Plus I didn't have the $400 plus for the after market wire wheels.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Interesting.....
    I think what you are asking about with this post Syd, is a trans-kit to convert the R/M Big Deuce to a stocker.....correct?

If TDR Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? were to do a scale replica it would be from scratch and as close to dimensionally correct as possible......as you know from working with the prototype TDR Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? Roadster that requires a tremendous amount of design, coins and labor time, etc.

A trans-kit would be far simpler, but by using commercially available donor kits the replacement parts would have to be designed to fit the existing kits and the accuracy would be lost. Most production kits have a large margin (fudge factor) due to mass production costs and all that built in before the kits hit the market.

Anyhow, see if you get enough response to your query to raise TDR Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? 's eyebrows.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:55 AM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Yeah - I didn't think it all the way out. Thinking back to what I did actually the Deuce kit with an existing resin Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? body or the kit roadster would cover the majority of the requirements. Just a new front axle, maybe the front spring, the shock mount, shocks, mechanical brake drums, pan, manifolds (in and out), carburetor, etc. The rest would be up to the builder to scratch like wire for brake rods and maybe some accessories. We could plan out the transkit in detail if there is enough response.

Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit?
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:56 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    don't the Lindberg T's have stock style shocks?
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:56 AM.
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Don't think so? This is the shock we would need.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:57 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I did kludge up a front axle assembly that Dan then cast in resin Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit? and may still have some around. That gimmick in the top right was my attempt at a shock mount.

What drives me on this is the beauty of a classic 1934 three window coupe. I had one in high school (1948-1949) and as was usual back then screwed it up by bobbing the rear fenders and using half of the spare tire cover rim as a front fender.

Do you ever wish you could live your life over again and fix all the mistakes?

Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:54 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Syd, the shock you have pictured is a "friction shock". Some of the Pocher kits have them but they may not be the scale you need.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:57 AM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Definitely not the right shape but they would be 1/8 scale.

Besides the beauty, the advantage of the 34 over the 32 is that the kit carburetor could be used whereas a new carburetor would have to be designed for the 32.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:58 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    These are the Lindberg springs (part #69P in the latest Custom "T" kit). The arm portion is molded as part of the front axle assembly but the 'rear shock arms' (part #120P) appear to be the right shape and size. You might be able to combine the two parts to make a complete shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit?-lindy-ford-springs-01-jpg  Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit?-lindy-ford-springs-02-jpg  Stock '32 or '34 Coupe Trans-kit?-lindy-ford-springs-03-jpg 
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 11:59 AM.
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I really appreciate the response and especially the shock solution. I had to make mine from scratch,

I just wish I could edit the title of this thread to "Classic 32 - 34 Coupe Transkit" so readers would understand what we are asking: Is there any interest in a transkit for a classic early Ford with mechanical brakes and other features?

It would put the Pocher kits to shame.

Last edited by Don Garrett; 03-30-11 at 12:00 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Syd....I changed the thread title a bit for you. :)'
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11