Close

Thread: deuce chop....

Builder Last Online: Jan 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-24-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi, while the clear dries on my Big T coupe project, I thought I would get started on the deuce project. I have a 3 window coupe resin deuce chop.... body that I have had for a bit, and I wanna chop it. Kinda scared I will screw it up, so any help with where to cut, and how much I can get away with would be appreciated.... Saw standing by......
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey BigN, if you post a picture of the body from the side back and front, I can show you where to make your cuts. I'll use a little Photoshop work and mark the body. Chopping a deuce coupe is way easier than chopping a Merc or a 40 Ford. The big thing you need to worry about is after you made your cuts and removed your material, that you compensate so that when you put the top back on, all the pillars line up. Go ahead and get the pic and I'll mark it quickly for you.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    There's a couple of ways to chop a Deuce.
    You can remove a section all the way around and and then lean the posts to make them match up.
    I prefer to remove a section and quarter the top adding filler to adjust the width and length without altering the posts. As you know model cement won't get the job done on resin deuce chop.... ....you can use CA or epoxy deuce chop.... but the joint will be fragile, here's an old fiberglass repair tip....put a few widow marks on the posts when you have them lined up and drill some small holes in both surfaces to be joined....put short lengths of wire or tubing in some of the holes and epoxy deuce chop.... the two parts together, the holes that don't have wires in them will give the epoxy deuce chop.... something to anchor to, when set the epoxy deuce chop.... that oozed out of the joint will act as filler when you sand deuce chop.... . The wire or tubing connecting pins will give you a very strong bond. I usually remove the back window intact as a section and replace it after the chop has been completed, that way I can control how big I want the window to be....you don't have to have a mail slot back window just 'cause the lid has been hammered. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 09-24-07 at 07:08 PM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Not bad at all, Don. That's the way to do the job. Thanks for the help.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4