Close

Builder Last Online: Nov 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 11-13-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

I have been obsessed with Ed Roth's Mysterion since first seeing it in Rod & Custom in 1962. When it disappeared I was devastated having never seeing it in person. I eventually fulfilled the dream of building a clone in 2018 and just finished building a 1/8 scale scratch build 1/8 scale Mysterion of it this year. Here are some snapshots.
      1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1045small-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1042small-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1041small-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1038small-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1037small-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1036small-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_1035-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    scratch
    Very cool!

I'm assuming a Fiber-Glass body?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Here's a link to what reportedly happened to the original. Apparently it lives again in replica form. Great build by the way. Funky machine!

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/09/26/even-after-replication-ed-roths-mysterion-remains-well-mysterious

Last edited by JunkGTZ; 11-14-20 at 11:17 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    scratch
    Ah-hem! (cough cough)

It might just be a coincidence, that a Jeff Jones built this model, and another Jeff Jones built the excellent replica?

Roth worked at these cars almost like a chef creating something from, "ooh this looks cool, and Ford gave me some engines, so it gets Ford engines!" There were not any blueprints. And I bet relying on old magazine articles and grainy photos was pretty hard!

Excellent effort!

(A Webb "Golden Sub" is on my list. I have the research material done, just not up (skill wise), to making the body.

Again, excellent work!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. jeff jones's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jeff
    Yes, both are my cars, I started the model in 2001, carved a body pattern, made fiberglass body, and blew bubble top. Then found out I didn't know enough about the car to finish the model so put it away. Collected parts and info on the car 'til I had enuf to build the full size one and finished it in 2018. Mark Gustavson asked me to give a lecture on the Mysterion model at the GSL in May which was the prod to finish it.

I wrote the book about the big car in '18. Sold the car @ Sotheby's auction in Hollywood in December 2018. It now resides @ Stahl's museum in Michigan, a great home for it.

1/8 scale Mysterion-final-mcfarland-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-p3220003-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-pb140212-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_0694-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_0854-jpg1/8 scale Mysterion-img_0890-jpg

1/8 scale Mysterion
    Last edited by jeff jones; 11-14-20 at 09:11 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5