Close

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 05-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-sb00-jpg Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-4motorbodyoff-jpg

I built this model as a young lad with my father's help at times and have been intrigued by it ever since and always wanted to scratch build Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Building four engines from scratch just seemed a task that I was not ready to tackle. Recently I have been extremely busy building, designing and developing model ship kits fro M.E. and have been looking for a personal project to keep me from going KNOTS. Anyway I came across a site offering a 1/8 scale Buick Nailhead cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine and after a little discussion reached a fair deal to purchase four engines knowing that some parts would require significant modifications.

In doing research, I discovered that the Showboat itself underwent changes as it evolved to its final configuration as seen above along with an image of it in its earlier days with no body. Could very well be test runs. I also discovered on the H.A.M.B. site photos posted by the original builder and the replica builder which will be my reference resource. The Revel kit while in its day a good model but has a few major discrepancies the greatest being the oil pan configurations. I have also seen the die-cast model as well which is also creative in some details. Working from photos only and my own research I may also have to get creative with some small details.

The initial build challenges I for see are the alignment of the four engines and the centerline of the 14 exhaust pipes; two point down on the left bank of engines. Hopefully, Mr. Geometry and Mr. Physics will help me along the way.

First will be the clean up, drilling and milling of the cast parts. Since I have not done any extensive work with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale I will now have a new learning experience and this will be a mixed media build. If anyone out there has any information or detailed personal pictures please share I will need all the help I can get on information.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Seeing how small that seat is, I bet even little Tommy was thankful the commute to the finish line was short!
    QUOTE QUOTE #122

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here he is in it, it was not a street cruiser.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-0bb41670-e9de-41f0-9d78-c25e3b397a70-jpeg

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #123

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    After finishing up the seat I chrome plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale all the parts and nuts and bolts as needed. That is why I like the Caswell Copy Chrome parts can be plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale quickly as I assemble.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-01-jpg

I will assemble the cockpit area first then the front end then finally the engines which will require extensive rework. When chroming nuts and bolts a holding fixture is needed so as to add more mass otherwise the bolts being so small will burn up.Learned the hard way.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-02-jpg
    I then added the brake system with wheel hubs and disc pads.Next came the torque tube after the gas pedal was added first to the bracket and then the clutch pedal. I also started adding the seat belts.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-04-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-05-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-06-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-07-jpg
    Next will be the seat belt hardware

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #124

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very very nice!

Thank you for posting! -have you ever tried to "Brush Plate"?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #125

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Oops! Another question? When your plating your Brass, are you first plating Copper, and then the final metal?

With my radiator shell, originally I thought to make the shell out of Nickle-Silver, and may still, but my sheet stock is a little too short! -So, I've proceeded with Brass, but I also want to add some bulk, structure into the shell, keep all parts in a state of "dry-fit" as long as I can, and when all questions are resolved, then finish the assembly. Tank plating or by brush, just the shell.

Your opinion?
    QUOTE QUOTE #126

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I usually copper plate first, the reason is that solder will leave a shadow if only chrome plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale . I use Staybrite solder which plates better than the 50/50 and it is much stronger. I generally use the dip method when plating and regulate the current strength by how much of the wand is in the solution. Yes I have used the brush method if the part is too large for dipping, like the brake lines one end in the dip and use the wand to rub at the solution edge to minimize a hard line then reverse the other end and rub the joint line to blend.

Can you post a picture of the part?

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #127

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks Ken! I still have a lot of fiddling to do, but before I do any plating I'll post a picture or two, and definitely seek out your advise. -Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #128

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here are the seat belt working hardware early on. I used leather from an old wallet which was very thin and supple and easy to work with.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-08-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-09-jpg

Then I copied instrument images and reduced to 5/32" size and printed on glossy photo paper. The glossy paper has a film when the paper is peeled away after soaked in water leaving a thin image to set into the aluminum bezels. The steering wheel rim was painted with the Krylon Camouflage Black #4290, it has the luster of rubber per the original. The clutch holding handle an rod to pedal was added. This held the clutch pedal down to be able to push the car around without someone sitting in it.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-10-jpg
    Next I added the torque tube with the gas pedal attached to it and then the gas pedal linkage to the bell crank.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-11-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-12-jpg
    I then assembled the front end and while do so realized that I forgot the kill switches.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-13-jpg

After the front axle was assembled I made the four kill switches with the covers being able to be opened.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-14-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-15-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-16-jpg
    I received the micro three strand steel wire from Roger Zimmerman in Switzerland and then added the release cable to the parachute.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-17-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-18-jpg
    Sitting back I then added the rear wheels just to get a feel for the assembled cockpit area.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-19-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-20-jpg
    Next I will add the front end and then set the engines in place to finish up some components.

Thanks again Roger for sending the steel cable it really adds that sense of reality.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #129

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Super build; glad to have a very, very small contribution to it!
    QUOTE QUOTE #130

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger, thank you again and that is what is great about this site is the fact that people work in support of each other rather than in spite of each other. Not sharing knowledge and experiences with others would be such a waste.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #131

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I added the assembled front axle to the chassis and adjusted the wheel alignment. I then set the engines in place to be able to fabricate some needed details. First I made the throttle shaft that rotates in pivot arms attached to the frame and block and added the arms drilled and tapped that will link to the engine linkage. Next I re-sized the rear engine braces and re- plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale them. I fabricated the front brace that also had an additional extension for further strength. I adjusted the fit of the clutch shield and re- plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Next came the temperature senders and timing indicators in two different configurations. After them I made the oil fittings in the blocks for the gauges. I used 1/16" hex bar. The fitting for the right rear engine is different than the rest due to the fitting of the clutch shield. I then added the four oil filters and all the plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale bolts for the oil pans.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-21-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-22-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-23-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-24-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-25-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-26-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-27-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-28-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-29-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-assembly-30-jpg

From here on out will be just a great deal of fussing and fitting of components with the next being all the gas lines that will be polished aluminum tubing.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #132

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    QUOTE QUOTE #133

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I bought 4 matching M&H Racemaster Dragster cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale tires online. When they arrived I discovered that they were too narrow by 1/4" otherwise fantastic castings with the tiniest lettering readable. Anyway I contacted the supplier and he indicated that the pattern was one that his father made back in the '60's. Anyway I decided to keep them sliced them down the middle by first making a guide cut around the centerline using the jeweler's saw for accuracy and then the miter saw. I then cut the two center filler parts using 1/8" plywood which I had on hand with the center hole matching the wheel center for indexing. They were all glued together the outer surface sanded, glazed and sanded a couple of times to get smooth surface. After that I added a 1/4" bass ring mating to the inside surface of the tire (sorry no picture) to further index and support the wheel. Once satisfied with the outer surface finish I painted the tires first with a light coat of black primer Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale and then Rust-Oleum Camouflage #1916 Black which has the luster of real rubber. This shows the finished front wheel and tire.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tire-4-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tire-5-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tire-6-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tire-7-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tire-8-jpg

Now back to car wiring.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #134

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    It's frustrating when one has to modify new parts!
    QUOTE QUOTE #135

15. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Fantastic work on the tire Ken! The color is spot on.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #136