Close

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 05-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-sb00-jpg Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-4motorbodyoff-jpg

I built this model as a young lad with my father's help at times and have been intrigued by it ever since and always wanted to scratch build Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Building four engines from scratch just seemed a task that I was not ready to tackle. Recently I have been extremely busy building, designing and developing model ship kits fro M.E. and have been looking for a personal project to keep me from going KNOTS. Anyway I came across a site offering a 1/8 scale Buick Nailhead cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine and after a little discussion reached a fair deal to purchase four engines knowing that some parts would require significant modifications.

In doing research, I discovered that the Showboat itself underwent changes as it evolved to its final configuration as seen above along with an image of it in its earlier days with no body. Could very well be test runs. I also discovered on the H.A.M.B. site photos posted by the original builder and the replica builder which will be my reference resource. The Revel kit while in its day a good model but has a few major discrepancies the greatest being the oil pan configurations. I have also seen the die-cast model as well which is also creative in some details. Working from photos only and my own research I may also have to get creative with some small details.

The initial build challenges I for see are the alignment of the four engines and the centerline of the 14 exhaust pipes; two point down on the left bank of engines. Hopefully, Mr. Geometry and Mr. Physics will help me along the way.

First will be the clean up, drilling and milling of the cast parts. Since I have not done any extensive work with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale I will now have a new learning experience and this will be a mixed media build. If anyone out there has any information or detailed personal pictures please share I will need all the help I can get on information.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    The parachute release handle was next which I fabricated the handle using aluminum and brass tube and wire, getting the little rod to index in the handle was a little tricky.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-parachute-handle-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-parachute-handle-02-jpg

Next I made the rear end shield using .010 sheet brass and polished it for chroming later. The retaining pins were formed using .032" rod.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-shield-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-shield-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-shield-04-jpg

I then pondered my next step and decided to make the clutch shield gauging the size from photos and bolted in two places using 00-90 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale bolts. With the shield in place I can now start the cockpit body work which after doing a couple of test parts using .010" sheet and was not happy with the results; too much oil canning that thin so I have ordered some 206 .020" sheet brass.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-shield-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-shield-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-shield-04-jpg

Next onto the body work.

Attached Images Attached Images Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-shield-02-jpg 
    Last edited by xken; 03-12-20 at 07:02 PM.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Was the original parachute released by a cable or by a rod? For this application I would have used a cable, less tricky to adapt to the handle!
    At your scale, using brass sheet .010 is not recommended, especially if the finished part will be polished the way you did.
    QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger yes it was a cable, I just do not have any cable that small and only need about 6 inches. If I ever find some I can always retro fit. What gauge would you recommend? I am almost complete with the body work now with no major issues so far. When I used the .010” I had a great deal of problems with oil canning on the flatter surfaces. The suppliers only other choice was .016” so I went with the .020 Type 206 General Purpose and working great so far, of course it must be annealed first.
    The polishing is only for parts that will be chrome plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale , best results are attained when polished before platting.

Last edited by xken; 03-13-20 at 10:23 AM.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #94

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Years ago, I bought a cable roll of 50 meters (54 yards) for the emergency brakes for my models. The diameter is .3mm (.012") and that cable can have a load of 9kg (19.8 pounds). If that's good enough for you, I can send 10-20" in an envelope if I have your address.
    QUOTE QUOTE #95

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger, that would be fantastic and very kind of you. Here is my address:
    Ken Foran
    1318 Hillcrest Drive
    Morro Bay, CA 93442
    USA
    Here is a sneak peek of where I am at so far with the body work.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-dscn5586-jpg
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-dscn5566-jpg
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-dscn5549-jpg

I am using glazing putty Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale to level off the tiny hammer marks.

Also what gauge of metal do you use for your body work? For really complex shapes I use copper which can also be soldered to brass.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #96

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I'll send it to you early next week.
    I used 0.4mm for the body work (.016"); for part of the trunk lid and hood, I used cooper with the same thickness. I don't remember if I silver soldered the brass hump to the main lid or if I used soft solder. I should go back to my pictures…
    As a general rule, I'm using silver solder as much as I can; if a part is complex and is asking several sub assemblies, I'm switching to soft solder just before I have a silver solder mess with brass.
    QUOTE QUOTE #97

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Thanks again and please let me know any expense you have so I can reimburse you for your efforts.

Thanks next time I will order .016" to try. So far I have found the Staybrite solder to be strong enough for all my applications except for a joint line that has to be hammered then I use silver solder. What I like about the Staybrite is that the flux is cleaned with water and it does not gum up files as much as soft solder. I am also married to a Silversmith with a BFA degree and taught silversmithing for 10 years at college level, so I have great access to tools, advice and criticism.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #98

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Reviewing all your work is a pleasure and an education!

You’ve made it look easy!

What’s next on your “to do” list?

A “Birdcage Maserati”?
    QUOTE QUOTE #99

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Reviewing all your work is a pleasure and an education!

You’ve made it look easy!

What’s next on your “to do” list?

A “Birdcage Maserati”?
    Right now I still have a great deal to do yet on this build and have not thought that far ahead. Do you have a picture of the Maserati?

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #100

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Google image Maresati tipi 61, or “Birdcage Maserati” and look at its chassis.

Quite the challenge!
    QUOTE QUOTE #101

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Maserati
    QUOTE QUOTE #102

12. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    In another forum, there's someone scratchbuildingbuilding a Birdcage Maserati in metal, in 1/24 scale. It's pretty amazing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #103

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Interesting but rather than that I would finish the E Type roadster I started of which the engine build is here somewhere. I had to stop due to model kit commissions and then sold my E Type due to both medical and move to California. Perhaps search this on this site, or someone better skilled could post a link to it.
    BRASS BUILD 1962 JAGUAR XKE ROADSTER

Last edited by xken; 03-14-20 at 11:11 AM.
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #104

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Oh yeah! I forgot about your Jaguar!

Yes, of course you should continue with that project! It was a beautiful start!

Thank you for all that you have shared!
    QUOTE QUOTE #105

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by xken View Post
    I am also married to a Silversmith with a BFA degree and taught silversmithing for 10 years at college level, so I have great access to tools, advice and criticism.

Well, I don't have this chance! I had to learn sometimes the hard way, but I think I'm still not to the level from your wife!
    The cable is going Monday at the post office. I hope there are still planes going to the US. I checked the cable, it's virus free!
    QUOTE QUOTE #106