Close

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 05-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-sb00-jpg Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-4motorbodyoff-jpg

I built this model as a young lad with my father's help at times and have been intrigued by it ever since and always wanted to scratch build Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Building four engines from scratch just seemed a task that I was not ready to tackle. Recently I have been extremely busy building, designing and developing model ship kits fro M.E. and have been looking for a personal project to keep me from going KNOTS. Anyway I came across a site offering a 1/8 scale Buick Nailhead cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine and after a little discussion reached a fair deal to purchase four engines knowing that some parts would require significant modifications.

In doing research, I discovered that the Showboat itself underwent changes as it evolved to its final configuration as seen above along with an image of it in its earlier days with no body. Could very well be test runs. I also discovered on the H.A.M.B. site photos posted by the original builder and the replica builder which will be my reference resource. The Revel kit while in its day a good model but has a few major discrepancies the greatest being the oil pan configurations. I have also seen the die-cast model as well which is also creative in some details. Working from photos only and my own research I may also have to get creative with some small details.

The initial build challenges I for see are the alignment of the four engines and the centerline of the 14 exhaust pipes; two point down on the left bank of engines. Hopefully, Mr. Geometry and Mr. Physics will help me along the way.

First will be the clean up, drilling and milling of the cast parts. Since I have not done any extensive work with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale I will now have a new learning experience and this will be a mixed media build. If anyone out there has any information or detailed personal pictures please share I will need all the help I can get on information.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    After a few hours of detective work reviewing dozens of photos I think I have now added all the supporting fittings that are added to the frame. The only challenge was soldering the small body mounting flanges which i fabricated first and tapped with 00-90 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale threads, I saw cut to a breakaway point and used the parent strip as a handle for soldering.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-03-jpg

I then moved onto the clutch pedal and clutch bell crank brackets. The bell crank linkage will work both clutches at the same time.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-04-jpg

I then moved onto the brake system which is only to the rear wheels and I was able to have the hand brake arm pivot and move the plunger forward in the reservoir. Geometry even works when reduced in scale. I also hand turned the ball knob on the end of the handle.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-06-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-07-jpg

Here is a breakdown of the parts.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-08-jpg

The handle pivots and moves the plunger back and forth as the handle is moved.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-09-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-10-jpg

Next I did a CAD drawing of the dashboard of which I had a great reference picture from Bruce and drilled the holes for the 2 1/4" Stewart Warner gauges. The four center ones are the oil pressure 0-100 psi gauges for each engine and are mechanical, with a oil line to each engine. I also first then had to add the dashboard mounting brackets and then the kill switch panel while in the area. This panel is behind the dashboard.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-05-jpg

​Here you can see the access to the kill switches.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-11-jpg

Here is an overall view and I think I have added all the fittings that I could identify from photos.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-frame-fittings-12-jpg

Next will be the gauges and then onto steering linkage, slow going but fun.

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice! Strange brake system; I suppose that kind of vehicles are using "out of the box" solutions.
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Yes Roger and also a parachute as well. In pictures you can see the rear wheels lift off the ground when the parachute is deployed.

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    The steering linkage started with the steering wheel. I turned a stand off tube with a flange for tapped holes and ribs with the length being the distance being that between the steering wheel and dashboard.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-01-jpg

I then hand formed the rim after annealing the rod and butt soldered the joint. I then indexed the rim on a fixture and marked 15 degree increments for the finger grips and then filed notches to locate the split rings while being soldered in place.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-03-jpg

Once soldered the top and sides were filed away leaving the bottom finger grips.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-04-jpg

The center arms were then cut and bent for the dish and drilled with clearance mounting holes to match the flange and soldered in place on the center of the rim.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-06-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-07-jpg

The center hub was turned from aluminum and mounted to the steering wheel inserted into the center tube.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-wheel-08-jpg

I then made the steering wheel mounting bearing attached to the frame then cut the linkage tubes from the wheel to the front steering gear. The tubes cleared the exhaust pipes when in place and can be turned with the steering wheel.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Interesting method to do the finger grips!
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I have formed an opinion over the years that modelers generally fall into three groups.

Those that approach problem solving as an engineer might, will proceed on a track of addition, building onto some basic form, “assembling” or “growing “ their components. Which are further assembled into more complex structures.

Second are the modelers who work as a machinist does, in a subtractive method of removing material

And thirdly, are the nonlinear “artist” modelers, who readily accept growth and then tear- down
    to realize their objective.

Each group must accept the ways of the other group, an “engineer-type” will add body filler knowing that he will be sanding Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale much of it away.

And the “machinist-type” will assemble his machined parts into a more complex whole.

And the “artist-type” will admit that the other two ways are usually the more productive, but his way is sometimes the better for replicating
    “organic” shapes.

Modelers wear many hats, and come from many disciplines. Happy convergence.

It’s a great hobby!
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-03-20 at 12:16 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I turned the eight gauges of the four in the center are oil pressure the other temperature. I drilled the line holes while in the lathe and turned down to thin wall for the lines to be inserted into as seen in the rear view.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gauges-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gauges-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gauges-03-jpg
    Next I cut the brass foot pedals along with aluminium inserts. The aluminum blanks were then placed on a semi course flat file and hammered flat into the file teeth making sure they stayed in place while hammering. They were then trimmed again to match the brass blanks. While not exactly matching the original texture; visually it works well when in place in the car.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-pedal-01-jpg
    Next came the foot guards with the gas peal being different with horns for the linkage. I drilled and tapped a 00-90 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale hole for later use. I then test fitted in the center hole and later changed to the last hole once the clutch hold down was added.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-pedal-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-pedal-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-pedal-04-jpg
    I could not figure out what the switch next to the steering wheel did and have no images clearly showing it. I contacted Bruce and he said it was a clutch pedal hold down that enabled the car to be pushed around without someone having to sit in the car. He also shared that threaded hex bar was used which enabled adjusting as well as strength to hold the position over extended time if needed. When in the adjusted position a jam nut locked it in place. The switch also was in the orientation of the tang which helped in setting it. Someone had to be in the car to both set and release the hold down due to the amount of pressure on it. Keep in mind the two clutches are on the same linkage.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-pedal-05-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-pedal-06-jpg
    The gas pedal pivot is mounted to the driveshaft torque tube. I will have to make the right engine bell housing that the torque tube is mounted in place to.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Interesting method to get the texture at the gas pedal!
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Looks great ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I fabricated the bell housing using a combination of brass and carved wood in the two main parts which bolted together. I drilled holes for the clutch arm location and added brass tubing for the fitting. I painted it to replicate aluminum.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-bellhousing-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-bellhousing-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-bellhousing-03-jpg
    I moved on to adding the clutch pedal linkage. I checked the location of the bell crank support bracket and realized that the drilled hole was too far to the right in order to align down the center between the engines which necessitated drilling a new hole to the left about an 1/8". I then made the bell crank with the end holes tapped 00-90 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
    to hold the tie rod ends. Rods were cut to the needed length with drilled and tapped ends to be able to adjust the tie rods and hold with jam nut. The center rod to the right bank of the clutch arm which will also carry the center rod to the front clutch arm of the left bank of engines.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-04-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-05-jpg
    Next will be the torque tube from the bell housing to the rear end which looks like it will be a bit of a challenge. The gas pedal is attached to it.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #87

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I finished up the clutch linkage by drilling the front shield and soldering a through rod for the clutch shaft. Added the clutch arm with rod connecting to the rear clutch arm.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-06-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-clutch-linkage-07-jpg

I then moved onto the torque tube and it proved to be as challenging as I thought it would be with compound angles. I started with 7/16" diameter tube with short sections from the rear end and the bell housing. Each was square with the flanges and mating bolt holes. After several marking cutting and twisting I finally was able to get mating angles on all three tube sections and then soldered them in place while attached to the rear end and bell housing. Excess solder was then cleaned away. I tested the clearance with a driveshaft tube and it worked. Next came the reinforcing beam which I think was also used for lifting into place, I painted it black for ease of aligning the beam parts. I then located the attachment bracket for the gas pedal. After finishing and painting it was refitted into position.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-torque-tube-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-torque-tube-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-torque-tube-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-torque-tube-04-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-torque-tube-05-jpg

The gas pedal was fabricated along with the torque tube and first was to fit the pivot point on the underside of the pedal. I then fabricated the bracket connecting it to the torque tube then added the pedal. Once in place I added the connecting rod to the bell crank.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gas-pedal-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gas-pedal-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gas-pedal-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gas-pedal-04-jpg

I then moved on to the throttle linkage adding the two support brackets carrying the throttle shaft, then the end link connecting the rod from the bell crank, and then the center links that will attach to the two engine banks.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-throttle-linkage-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-throttle-linkage-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-throttle-linkage-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-throttle-linkage-04-jpg

Next I will move on to the rear disc brakes now that I have 1/4" brass to saw the carrier from.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #88

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Beautiful work Ken!

And an education too! - I had to think about the why of the torque tube design as your pictures were slowly downloading to my phone, eventually they all did, but it gave me time to consider the why’s of design. Thank you.

At my day job, one of my responsibilities is to set up and stock the build specific cabinets in our build studios, and recently I had to organize all the hardware, coming across some ot-eighty shoulder “bolts”. It’s hard to think of something so tiny as a bolt! Size is relative.

Thank you for all that you share!
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-22-20 at 01:24 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #89

14. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    As beautiful as the model is, I'm really appreciating the shop hints along the way.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #90

15. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I was able to get the rear brakes addressed over the weekend despite a few honey-do interruptions. Having excellent reference pictures from Bruce I was able to make short work of them. Especially having a piece of 1/4" stock for the outer carriers. Here is a sequence and the pictures are pretty self explanatory. I may go back and make the outer carrier part out of aluminum, but will see down the road.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-04-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-05-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-06-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-07-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-08-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-09-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-10-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-11-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-12-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-brake-13-jpg

Next I will add the parachute release handle and then revise the clutch shield.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #91