Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 05-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-sb00-jpg Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-4motorbodyoff-jpg

I built this model as a young lad with my father's help at times and have been intrigued by it ever since and always wanted to scratch build Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Building four engines from scratch just seemed a task that I was not ready to tackle. Recently I have been extremely busy building, designing and developing model ship kits fro M.E. and have been looking for a personal project to keep me from going KNOTS. Anyway I came across a site offering a 1/8 scale Buick Nailhead cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine and after a little discussion reached a fair deal to purchase four engines knowing that some parts would require significant modifications.

In doing research, I discovered that the Showboat itself underwent changes as it evolved to its final configuration as seen above along with an image of it in its earlier days with no body. Could very well be test runs. I also discovered on the H.A.M.B. site photos posted by the original builder and the replica builder which will be my reference resource. The Revel kit while in its day a good model but has a few major discrepancies the greatest being the oil pan configurations. I have also seen the die-cast model as well which is also creative in some details. Working from photos only and my own research I may also have to get creative with some small details.

The initial build challenges I for see are the alignment of the four engines and the centerline of the 14 exhaust pipes; two point down on the left bank of engines. Hopefully, Mr. Geometry and Mr. Physics will help me along the way.

First will be the clean up, drilling and milling of the cast parts. Since I have not done any extensive work with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale I will now have a new learning experience and this will be a mixed media build. If anyone out there has any information or detailed personal pictures please share I will need all the help I can get on information.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Just stumbled on his video explaining how it works, if you havn't seen it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Thanks yes there are a few out there. The replica is up for sale tomorrow at the Mecum Action in Kissamee, Florida. Lot # S150.

I made a post earlier but it is not showing up. Some message saying it would be posted after admin review. Not had that one before.

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    The front axle is supported by a frame support on the right side but braces to the quick change unit on the left side.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-02-jpg

The adapter plates are custom made and one modified.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-01-jpg

Raised details added before adding the raised ribs.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-04-jpg

Here is the finished unit ready for the axles to be added.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-09-jpg
    Here are the turned axle parts ready for assembly.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-12-jpg

Using the old school CAD system (cardboard aided design) I fabricated the two support braces that straddle the quick change unit. This is the outboard brace pattern.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-13-jpg
    Here the brass axle brace is soldered in place to the frame.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-14-jpg
    .Inboard brace in place,
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-15-jpg

The steering gear box built and soldered in place.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-16-jpg

The engines is now bolted in place front and rear.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-18-jpg

The 1 ton truck axle parts fabricated; the tricky part was milling a plumb bore for the cup shafts. The cup will be chrome plated Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale with the rest of the parts painted black.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-19-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-20-jpg

The axles shafts are enabled to move in and out for final positioning and will be set with screws counter sunk on the bottom.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-21-jpg

Adapter plates and grease fittings added.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-22-jpg

Here is the grease fitting being turned; they are like the cherry on the top of a sundae.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-22a-jpg

Here is a test fit of the wheel bolted in place.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-23-jpg

Wheels turn freely with no sloppiness, good and tight.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-24-jpg

Linkage will be next.

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Moving on to the linkage I used soft aluminum rod for rough fitting of the linkage rods. The challenge was the bending around the quick change unit. All connections will be bolted for easy dis-assembly for final finishing and chrome plating.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-25-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-26-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-27-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-28-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-front-axle-29-jpg

The steering rod required threaded ends to receive the tie rods for wheel adjustment.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tie-rod-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tie-rod-02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tie-rod-03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-tie-rod-04-jpg

Next came the steering gear box with my initial thoughts of using bevel gears for the direction change. Both parts were bored .20" to the maximum allowable to maintain the size and scale and fit the gears.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-gear-box-01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-gear-box-02-jpg

After having assembled the linkage and steering gear box and looking at pictures from Bruce of the original build I determined that the support arm and steering gear box needed to be moved forward slightly. This relocation on impacted the change of the steering arm and making it shorter.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-gear-box-03-jpg

This shows the relocated arm and steering gear box. I also drilled and tapped the vertical square rod from the steering arm up inside the steering gear box and added a 0-80 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale bolt in top hole and the bolt will now turn the wheels for now.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-gear-box-04-jpg

Next will be the crankshaft dampeners for each bank of engines.

Last edited by xken; 01-12-20 at 08:14 PM.
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Wow! A lot of small details taking a lot of time; I know that!
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger thanks! Yes a great deal of small parts and I know from your work you know what it takes. Keep up the great work you are doing on your projects I enjoy watching your work as well.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Ken! Unfortunately, it seems that the number of people who participate or building is decreasing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Yes, I think you are correct sad but true. But I keep building as a form of pain management for my back with disintegrating discs; the focus on details takes away the pain. Also no deadlines I build at my pleasure and to share knowledge and experiences with others.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sorry to learn that you have such problem. As I'm probably about the same age, I'm building also for my pleasure, nothing more. Fortunately, I don't have pains or, better said, not yet.
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    This shows the relocated arm and steering gear box. I also drilled and tapped the vertical square rod from the steering arm up inside the steering gear box and added a 0-80 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale [​IMG] bolt in top hole and the bolt will now turn the wheels for now.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-steering-gear-box-01-jpg
    I then turned the two crankshaft dampeners and retaining nuts.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-crankshaft-dampner-01-jpg

Here one is in place on the front right bank.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-crankshaft-dampner-02-jpg
    Next I fabricated the gas tank using wood sections glued together and while waiting for glue to set I turned the gas cap with the tank neck as part of the cap.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gast-tank-01-jpg
    Here is the basic tank and then I added the fuel line connections.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gast-tank-02-jpg
    Here is it being test fitted in place, next will be the platform that it sits on.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gast-tank-03-jpg
    Here is the layout patterns using old school CAD and then transferred to brass sheet. I used the back edge of a hobby knife Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale blade to score the fold lines.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gast-tank-04-jpg
    This shows the platform soldered in place.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gast-tank-05-jpg
    Here the tank is in place. Note the fit between the steering gear, crankshaft dampener, frame and axle with the notch for the steering linkage when turned per original. The front engine brace is in place, but I think the rod needs to be a larger diameter so it will get changed. I also need to figure out how to make the screen door spring that retained the gas tank.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-gast-tank-06-jpg
    I then moved onto the rear engine braces which provided opportunities for tricky soldering with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale blocks come into play. Yellow Ochre is used in soldering to prevent soldering certain parts together. Kind of like painting dirt in a joint. In this case the bolt face and threads and flange surface were painted.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-engine-brace-01-jpg
    This is the tricky part of soldering so far. I used a very hot Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale tip with a drop of solder and touched it in place watching for the instantaneous flow around to the back side and withdrew quickly and cooled the joint with water so the resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale block would not melt. This enabled perfect alignment of the brace.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-engine-brace-02-jpg
    Here are both braces in place. The mating flanges will be filed so the perimeters match.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-rear-engine-braces-03-jpg
    Now onto the other frame fittings like the clutch bell crank linkage support bracket.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Some tricky work there, soldering close to the resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine! You mentioned that Yellow Ochre is like painting with dirt - it is. I was taught to go into the garden and mix mud and water as a solder resist. Clay works best, but anything like that as long as it's fine and stays in suspension.
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I can only imagine how bone jarring the ride on the real thing must be. No springs or suspension other than what ever flexibility came from the frame itself and all that torque going to both axles! A "Don't try this at home!" sort of experience and a trip to the dentist afterward to secure all the loosened filling!
    QUOTE QUOTE #73

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Jo NZ the best thing about the Yellow Ochre is that it works on the 00-90 Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale threads and keeps them from being soldered. Working with the bolt in resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale needs to be cooled immediately since the brass retains the heat and could melt away the threads in the resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale .

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #74

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Ok to ask a question?

The Yellow ochre / dirt stuff?

Are you using dry pigment Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale ? Source for your Yellow ochre / dirt stuff?

覧覧覧覧

Your work has always been great, shows very well in your book, but it does seem to have gotten better, tighter, cleaner with this project!
    QUOTE QUOTE #75

15. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I use the dry pigment Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale mixed with water. The 1/2 lb. will last a lifetime here is the link. This is also a great site for some tools as well and other products.

https://www.ottofrei.com/Yellow-Ochre-Powder-1-2-lb-Can?location=1&quantity=1

Last edited by xken; 01-22-20 at 11:00 PM.
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #76