Close

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
Accepted Payment Types

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 05-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-sb00-jpg Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-4motorbodyoff-jpg

I built this model as a young lad with my father's help at times and have been intrigued by it ever since and always wanted to scratch build Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Building four engines from scratch just seemed a task that I was not ready to tackle. Recently I have been extremely busy building, designing and developing model ship kits fro M.E. and have been looking for a personal project to keep me from going KNOTS. Anyway I came across a site offering a 1/8 scale Buick Nailhead cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine and after a little discussion reached a fair deal to purchase four engines knowing that some parts would require significant modifications.

In doing research, I discovered that the Showboat itself underwent changes as it evolved to its final configuration as seen above along with an image of it in its earlier days with no body. Could very well be test runs. I also discovered on the H.A.M.B. site photos posted by the original builder and the replica builder which will be my reference resource. The Revel kit while in its day a good model but has a few major discrepancies the greatest being the oil pan configurations. I have also seen the die-cast model as well which is also creative in some details. Working from photos only and my own research I may also have to get creative with some small details.

The initial build challenges I for see are the alignment of the four engines and the centerline of the 14 exhaust pipes; two point down on the left bank of engines. Hopefully, Mr. Geometry and Mr. Physics will help me along the way.

First will be the clean up, drilling and milling of the cast parts. Since I have not done any extensive work with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale I will now have a new learning experience and this will be a mixed media build. If anyone out there has any information or detailed personal pictures please share I will need all the help I can get on information.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice! I understand your concern about chrome plating; however, I still prefer to let my parts be chromed by a plating company; I'm not at ease with chemicals.
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger, thanks for stopping by and I really enjoy watching your build and how you solve problems.
    As for the chroming materials there are two types of chroming materials- "hard chrome" and "copy chrome" the hard chrome is the one with the hazardous off gases and materials used by commercial platers; while the copy chrome was developed by Caswell targeting the hobbyists and DIY car restorers. I have used Caswell Plating systems for years now and there is no off gassing or smell with the Copper, Nickel and Copy Chrome. The advantage for me is saving time, I can build a small part, fitted to the build to check it then remove and plate it right away. No building a tree Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
    of parts and sending them off and hoping the plater does not lose them or having to wait for their return. I live in California a state that really goes overboard on hazardous materials.
    Anyway keep up the great work you are doing!

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #48