Close

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 05-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-sb00-jpg Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-4motorbodyoff-jpg

I built this model as a young lad with my father's help at times and have been intrigued by it ever since and always wanted to scratch build Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale it. Building four engines from scratch just seemed a task that I was not ready to tackle. Recently I have been extremely busy building, designing and developing model ship kits fro M.E. and have been looking for a personal project to keep me from going KNOTS. Anyway I came across a site offering a 1/8 scale Buick Nailhead cast resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale engine and after a little discussion reached a fair deal to purchase four engines knowing that some parts would require significant modifications.

In doing research, I discovered that the Showboat itself underwent changes as it evolved to its final configuration as seen above along with an image of it in its earlier days with no body. Could very well be test runs. I also discovered on the H.A.M.B. site photos posted by the original builder and the replica builder which will be my reference resource. The Revel kit while in its day a good model but has a few major discrepancies the greatest being the oil pan configurations. I have also seen the die-cast model as well which is also creative in some details. Working from photos only and my own research I may also have to get creative with some small details.

The initial build challenges I for see are the alignment of the four engines and the centerline of the 14 exhaust pipes; two point down on the left bank of engines. Hopefully, Mr. Geometry and Mr. Physics will help me along the way.

First will be the clean up, drilling and milling of the cast parts. Since I have not done any extensive work with resin Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale I will now have a new learning experience and this will be a mixed media build. If anyone out there has any information or detailed personal pictures please share I will need all the help I can get on information.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    QUOTE QUOTE #167

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Sorry Ken, I forgot that your working on such a small scale. ()

I just recently bought some 3mm and 2mm rubber polishing points, to do the Spinning / Perlage / Engine Turning . . . what ever. -and it would be possible to polish the Brass, "Swirl" it. Gold brush plate. Gloss coat the area. Reprint the decals without the Gold, and add the body color to the surrounding area. Apply the decal Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale , clear coat Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale that. Then blend in the body color?

I'm jesting of course!

Looking again at your COMPLETE FIRST POST, the photo you posted. -It looks exactly like your model!

Are you thinking of publishing an account of this project? Assuming any magazine survives the world shut down? Really. A very nice bit of work!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #168

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Sorry Ken, I forgot that your working on such a small scale. ()

I just recently bought some 3mm and 2mm rubber polishing points, to do the Spinning / Perlage / Engine Turning . . . what ever. -and it would be possible to polish the Brass, "Swirl" it. Gold brush plate. Gloss coat the area. Reprint the decals without the Gold, and add the body color to the surrounding area. Apply the decal, clear coat that. Then blend in the body color?

I'm jesting of course!

Looking again at your COMPLETE FIRST POST, the photo you posted. -It looks exactly like your model!

Are you thinking of publishing an account of this project? Assuming any magazine survives the world shut down? Really. A very nice bit of work!
    Here's one that someone at Hemmings posted.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...X7kHqrfGEdqmes

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #169

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Struck out with decal Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale supplier, white background out of register to brighten colors on dark red. So everything looks like white step down outline. Even put white background where not need on black elements. Anyone have a supplier that can print white and hold registration on small decals?
    Supplier was kind enough to refund money.

Here is picture, if you look close it just looks like it is out of registration and if white was in registration it would be perfect. Sending money back rather than try fixing.

The Showboat will have to go naked of graphics until I can locate a supplier. If anyone knows one let me know.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-decal-test-jpg

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #170

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    At this scale, it should be possible to get decent decals. While I was at the decals for the Mark II, I had to learn that there are limitations. It seems that the software is what is setting the limits of what can be done or not.
    Most of the time 1:15 scale models have accurate nicer decals!
    QUOTE QUOTE #171

6. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    QUOTE QUOTE #172

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    JoNz just sent email to see if they can do 1/8 scale. Thanks!

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #173

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Jo NZ Thanks for the lead it looks like he will come through even with the gold engine turning. Will keep you posted thanks again!

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #174

9. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Happy to help. He has a pretty good reputation downunder (and a bit to the right).
    QUOTE QUOTE #175

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    As others have said he is the Bees Knees! Here is a proof sheet he sent. Thanks again for his link.
    Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-showboat-graphics-jpg

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #176

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Great!!!

Be sure to mention him to your friends!

Oh! -I guess you just did!
    QUOTE QUOTE #177

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    This is a copy of a wonderful E-Mail that Ivo sent me---- Enjoy!

Ken,
    I can't begin to tell you just how astonished I am with what you've created here. Because I've had some guys build models of my cars over the years and always thought they were miraculous in what they did. Especially with the best done ones I've seen. But they don't hold a candle to you my good man. I say astonished, only because there isn't really a word I can think of to express my amazement of what you've accomplished.

Remember I was there when it was born and it was in labor for a full year. So I can probably appreciate your work more than anyone. We hand crafted every piece with loving care. But not as much as you've done with the surgical care, that was needed for you version --- and all from "nothing" to start with!!! Plus you hit it spot on.................. And with me being the perfectionist to a fault that I am. I hope you can know that I sincerely mean it when I say "spot on"!!!

I though I went to a lot of trouble to come up with little things like the toggle switches. Remember, this was built back to the days when us hot Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale
    rodders were working with axes and hammers to get things done. When I I pried them out of an old WW2 bomber that was abandon here at the Grand Central Air Terminal, in Glendale. But to come up with them from scratch --- give me a brake!!!

I told Bruce he had magic hands, when he built the clone of this car. But you sir have the hands of a wizard, to build all this from nothingness. My hats off to you. And I can truly say you've given me a pretty proud feeling. To know that you would think enough of what's my signature car, to create a "Faberge egg" replica of it like this.
    TV Tommy Ivo

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #178

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Well deserved!
    QUOTE QUOTE #179

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    The decals arrived from Australia and they are just fantastic and easy to apply. I would recommend this supplier to anyone needing engine turning decals and thanks again to Jo NZ for the reference. Not on foil but still a great effect, better than plain color.Not printed on an ALPS printer. Does not recommend spraying clear but use Future wax instead. I will need to buy some.
    This will also be the last Showboat posting here. This has been a fun build and hope some have enjoyed following along.

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views01-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views02-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views03-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views04-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views05-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views06-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views07-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views08-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views08a-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views09-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views10-jpg

Tommy Ivo's Showboat 1/8 Scale-2views11-jpg

Later today I will be picking up the glass display case. Everyone have a great day and building!

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #180

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    QUOTE QUOTE #181