Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brain Phartz

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-14-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Starting with a pile of parts....if you're wondering about the steam roller rears, they are from my bud M.F.
      Let's have some fun and toss the rules out the window.

Brain Phartz

Build Photos

Brain Phartz-brainphartz003-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The Madd Fabricator sent me a resin Brain Phartz casting Brain Phartz for this character.........
    Look kinda' familiar? It's the wild mad man portrayed in his Avatar!

Brain Phartz
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    That's fun stuff, right there. The crazier, the better.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Did MF do that guy? Great work....
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    MF here. Sorry to say but that is not my handywork. It was sculpted by a friend of mine, using my avatar drawing as a pattern.
    The original size was made to be a shift knob and is 5 and 1/2 " tall. The smaller version, which is what I sent to Don, is approximately 1/2 size of the original. It was created by simply filling the original RTV Brain Phartz mold with a product called
    " Hydroshrink", letting the mold sit for about 30 minutes, and then demolding the item. After that, all you do is allow the item to sit for about 10-14 days , and as the item dries out ( cures), it shrinks in size. You really have no control over how much it shrinks, as you absolutely have to wait until the item has cured before you can handle it.Pretty much all of the detail is preserved. After the item is cured, you then make a new RTV Brain Phartz mold of the shrunken item. Neat stuff.
    Hope that satifies everyone's " need to know".
    CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    Last edited by MADD FABRICATOR; 02-09-11 at 03:29 PM.
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Oh my, looks like I'm getting close to what I want this grille to look like.
    I just knew it was hiding in that clay & putty Brain Phartz somewhere. Still have a little touch up to do around the nose & eye openings but I'll soon be able to add the hood/cloak and call it done.

The body however is a whole different ball game. It a 2 piece deal (yuk) and I plan on some radical ? mods. I want to raise the rear of the roof but not the front...I also plan to pie section the body to build in an exaggerated "rake". I have to open up some huge wheel wells for the tubs and I want to taper the rear of the body.....guess I'd better drag out my "irons" as I'm going to be doing some plastic welding.

Brain Phartz
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 02-14-11 at 02:01 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    In between fume sessions, curing Brain Phartz time, screw-ups and sticky fingers working on the Cuda body molds & TDR Brain Phartz stuff....leaves me with very little building time.
    Anyway, nuff whinin', on with the build.

I did an eyeball mock-up using one of those metal 1/6th engine kits......
    Being I'm after a "look" rather than accuracy to scale it seemed reasonable...NOPE...looked too big.

Tried a 1/8th TDR Brain Phartz 426.....BUMMER.....the old orbs said just a little too small.

As we all know there aren't a abundance of parts available between 1/8th & 1/6th.
    The engine parts below were cobbled up from sliced and diced 1/6th scale metal and plastic parts.

The kit 1/6th carb is on the left........a 1/8th TDR Brain Phartz carb on the right.

this pic shows the cut down 1/6th in the middle (primer).

Same deal with the cylinder head.

Valve cover.....

This one is for size comparision and the engine block.....1/6th, 1/7th? and TDR Brain Phartz 1/8th.

Brain Phartz
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 02-17-11 at 11:49 AM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Nice job on the downsizing
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You really nailed that grill. That Sculpy is good stuff. You may get a MOTM nomination for this.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Lets see if we can fix some the uglies this Lindy body came with........
    Here's the 2 piece body glued together out of the box.

I opened up the wheel well to accommodate the big rubber and started tapering the back of of the body so that it wouldn't look quite as clunky.

Just a little more trimming should give it the "look" I'm after.

Brain Phartz
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Cut & paste.....

Brain Phartz
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I don't like to use any more filler than I have to....shrinkage, ghost lines and so on over time can spoil an otherwise great paint job. Glued butt joints are weak and prone to crack with any sort of handling even when backed up with sheet plastic glued on the back side. Fillers Brain Phartz are usually softer or harder than the surrounding material and don't sand Brain Phartz /finish at the same rate........more problems.
    Sooooo...I "plastic weld" the joints, fill & build up areas with the same plastic that the body is made of. NO glue or filler!
    What I'll wind up with is a body that's one piece and all plastic.
    Here's a couple of pics showing the spot welds to hold sections in position and I'll post more photos using scrap plastic from the kit as filler.
    I'll also show how I fuse fine copper or brass mesh to the inside of the body to add even more strength to the shell.
    Be warned...melting plastic stinks and the fumes are probably bad for you. It's also very easy to warp or ruin a body if you don't take your time and apply too much heat in one area...not for everybody, but it allows me to do things would be darn near impossible simply gluing Brain Phartz chunks together.

Brain Phartz
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I started "welding" with scrap black plastic but it was difficult to see & and photograph, so I switched to white.
    Here's a shot of the inside before any clean-up.

The left side has been rough sanded, the right has not...

I'll melt a little more plastic into voids and then sand Brain Phartz again...

I sprayed a light coat of red primer Brain Phartz /sealer over the gray for photo clarity and to use as a guide coat when I start the final sanding Brain Phartz .

Even though the rear of the roof has been raised nearly 1/4" no filler or adhesive was used, it's all plastic and can be handled, sanded, drilled or whatever right after welding. No need to wait for adhesives to set-up or dry before working on it.

Brain Phartz
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #28