Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-04-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here we go everybody. Old Don has given us our own page so we can stay current on this project without being interrupted by other threads. So please, lets keep this on track.

We have two builds happening. First is a 6th scale 54 Chev that Don has started to work on. This build will be a lead sled style. The original plan was to do it curbside but I get the feeling that it might go further than that. More later.The second build is a 6th scale 60's era Willy's gasser pick up. This will be a full on, detailed to the max build right down to behind the dash wireing and caps on the valve stems. For housekeeping purposes, when you are posting on either car, please start your post with "CHEV" or "WILLYS". That will help those working on and following the builds keep track of things. Also, could we PLEEEEEEZZZZZZ try to use first names!!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    CHEV
    OK guys, lets start with the CHEV. Don's original thought was to build this curbside style.Mario and Garey have both offered to build a motor and some suspension stuff so if you two are "in" go for it. Work the details out between yourselves and give us a chassis. motor and running gear. Don will give you the wheelbase etc. If not, we stay curbside. When the body gets to me, I'll finish the prep. We'll talk later about colour, primer SMC Members Build or shine.

WILLYS
    The body is on the way to Don and he'll tweak it.
    Jeff, are you in for the motor?
    Mario, can you do cad drawings of a period perfect gasser chassis?
    Garey, sounds like you're in for wheels and tires.

Like Don said, there's no rush on these projects so lets take our time and do it right, while haveing fun doing it. To start with, I'd like to see us get on track with who's doing what, and then we'll start building.

Thanks to all who will be participating. You're a great bunch!

SMC Members Build
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    WILLYS I've got the engine on this one. I'll get started on the measurements and the blueprints and will start to cut out some plastic. If you want, I can also put a T-10 tranny on it. I'll probably be asking some of the experts about which version it should be.

CHEV--If this is a sled, I've got the perfect interior for it. It'll be just like doing the real thing.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thanks Garey, you're in for those parts. As for personal E's, I think most of us have our E's attached to the members list. If not, post them here.

SMC Members Build
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I'll put mine back up in my profile page.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Rick is going to see to it that these projects stay on track so let me get everybody on the same page.....these cars are going to represent the Scalemotorcars forum and that to me is very important. I intend to use them as a showcase for what we are capable of.

Let's start with the Chevy.......
    I intended it to be a curbside.....and have used it on the forum as a how to project. It's not meant to be a period car.....more a retro rod lead sled with modern updates, so any engine etc. is fine....that's up to you guys. It's been sectioned 4", the hood pancaked-stretched and it's converted to a fastback. I'm going to chop the top a bit more and fab some skirts. If you want a continental kit and spot lights, go for it. If you want a Blvd. cruiser or full custom show car with air and bags thats cool too. You want to build a chassis and suspension, please feel free to do so. NO BLOWER, RAT ROD OR WAGON WHEELS WITH O-RING TIRES PLEASE!!!

The Willys PU....60's gasser.
    Key words here are period perfect......if it wasn't available in the early to mid sixties it doesn't belong on this car! I'm not looking for a primered backyard budget build, more along the lines of Stone-Woods-Cook or Big John Mazmanian. Blown 392 and all business. We'll get some SMC decals made for the doors etc. Detailed to the max.

A few things to keep in mind......pack these cars very carefully and insure them when shipping with tracking numbers....I sent Mario a carefully repacked Deuce kit and the postage was 43 bucks so be aware.

Ownership of the cars....every member involved in the builds (one car or in some cases both) has equal ownership in one or both of them regardless of whether it was just some parts or hours of work.

The cars will not be sold or given away (after they get a chance to strut their stuff) unless that's what the participants decide to do with them and that will be by vote from all the members involved.

Okay with everybody?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    No problem from my end.
    WILLYS - Don, what I'll do before I get too far into the engine is to send you some pictures of my GMP die cast engine to make sure it's completely period perfect. If you would let me know what's not accurate, I'll be able to do any modification.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    When I get the Chev body, I'll build a good shipping crate for it. Might be a bit more expensive for shipping, but in the long run it will stay safe. I'll do the same for the Willys if it gets up this way.

I'm happy with the way Don wants to do the Willys so there shouldn't be any questions there. As soon as Garey and Mario have a chat, we'll know whether the Chev will be curbside or full on ride.

Rick

SMC Members Build
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Don't forget, the Willys has to be period perfect i.e. early 60's
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Garey.......no problem if you guys want to do an all out chassis for the Chev but like Jeff reminded us, the Willys chassis is period perfect 60's gasser.

Rick

SMC Members Build
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff, you got a handle on it my friend, the Willys is going to be a real challenge for you players....it's much more difficult to build a period correct model than it is to go Pro-Street with the Willys. Don't misunderstand me....Garey would have to put a tremendous amount of time and effort into building a chassis and suspension for an IRS-IFS Willys in 1/6th and it would be a show stopper for sure......but talk to one of our Pebble Beach guys about what they go through to build "correct" Alfa or Bug. The devil is in the detail.

The Chevy on the other hand is "No Holds Barred" if you guys want it to be a blown street car...perhaps twin turbos? If you want to modify the body more than I have that's great.....turn it into a Barris Style Custom, add quad canted headlights.....be creative with the Chevy, test your skills and do your homework with the Willys.

I'm not the only old fart on this site, some of you other members were around when when the Willys would make your hair stand on end when they staged and dropped the hammer...I'm hoping that even if you aren't directly involved in the build you will offer your suggestions and comments, they will be greatly appreciated. You guys that are just starting out in big scale modeling, don't feel left out, follow along and perhaps gain a few new skills to add to what you already have. There should be something of interest for everyone between these two cars.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Bob, David, you want to get involved in this build?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Your right! I installed a Lakewood in my '69 Z just in case I got a little with it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Willys41's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Hello all,

I know Don has been looking for one of the 1/6 Willys, I want to yell out load CHECK THIS OUT! ! !

Amazon.com: Eztec Radio Control 1:6 '41 Willys with 9.6V Rechargeable Battery and Charger: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B6N54R08L.@@AMEPARAM@@41B6N54R08L

I have been wanting to talk with Don as he ask me last week but he had things going on and I do also (my wife has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and she is being operated on this Wednesday).

Now I see the 1/6 build going on and wish there was some way I could take part but I don't believe my time and or my skills are what you need for this build.

So I did just buy one of the car list above and may give the build a shot with one of the 1/6 blown motors. Best of luck with your 41 Willys project it sounds really cool and with the talent you guys all have how can it fail. I am looking forward to seeing what you do that will help me with my Project Willys Pick-Up or Gasser Coupe.

David
    An Artist dips his brush into his soul before every stroke.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sorry to hear that David. You have our best wishes and prayers for her speedy recovery.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15