Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 03-27-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am still waiting for the Allerton decals to arrive. However I got the go ahead from Model Expo for the next project a 1890 Ladder Wagon. I photographed and measured the existing wagon at the Wayne County Historical Society and then drew it up in CAD. This is my first experience of having a full size CAD drawing of a subject to build. I have sent the CAD file for the laser cut wood for the frame and wheels. In the meantime I made my own frame rail by wet forming 1/8" x 1/4" basswood stock.

Here is what the real one looks like.

Here is the frame rail laying on the CAD drawing.

Once the frame was constructed I decided to build the most complex components on the wagon, the fifth wheel assembly. Here is the fifth wheel with the front axle and frame attachment in place.

Here is a closeup of a technique I use in soldering in close quarters. The two short braces were formed and filed for a tight fit and clipped in place with small alligator clips 1890 Ladder Wagon . Then I removed the nut that was close to the joint and added Yellow Ochre that protects an area from being soldered. In this case I am protecting the threads and the area at the bottom with the hole. This way I can solder the braces in place for a correct fit. This was also done on the backside as well.

This shows the fifth wheel in place as well as the frame braces. Again the main brace is one piece with the center hole to attach to the fifth wheel and the "V" section formed and soldered in place.

Next I will work on the forward hitch which fits into the two parallel arms on the fifth wheel.

Ken

1890 Ladder Wagon
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. josebrito's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jose
    Hi Ken, what the scale of the hearse,?It is a big challenge, much work of sculpture to fazer.Jose
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Jose, it will be 1/12 scale with the ornamentation being simplified with laser cutting to keep the kit cost effective.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Finally in production and available to purchase! Here is a link to it:

http://modelexpo-online.com/MODEL-EX...T-_p_1402.html

1890 Ladder Wagon
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #64