Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 03-27-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am still waiting for the Allerton decals to arrive. However I got the go ahead from Model Expo for the next project a 1890 Ladder Wagon. I photographed and measured the existing wagon at the Wayne County Historical Society and then drew it up in CAD. This is my first experience of having a full size CAD drawing of a subject to build. I have sent the CAD file for the laser cut wood for the frame and wheels. In the meantime I made my own frame rail by wet forming 1/8" x 1/4" basswood stock.

Here is what the real one looks like.

Here is the frame rail laying on the CAD drawing.

Once the frame was constructed I decided to build the most complex components on the wagon, the fifth wheel assembly. Here is the fifth wheel with the front axle and frame attachment in place.

Here is a closeup of a technique I use in soldering in close quarters. The two short braces were formed and filed for a tight fit and clipped in place with small alligator clips 1890 Ladder Wagon . Then I removed the nut that was close to the joint and added Yellow Ochre that protects an area from being soldered. In this case I am protecting the threads and the area at the bottom with the hole. This way I can solder the braces in place for a correct fit. This was also done on the backside as well.

This shows the fifth wheel in place as well as the frame braces. Again the main brace is one piece with the center hole to attach to the fifth wheel and the "V" section formed and soldered in place.

Next I will work on the forward hitch which fits into the two parallel arms on the fifth wheel.

Ken

1890 Ladder Wagon
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. KURTVD19's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Kurt
    Ken:
    Sorry I have missed the progress on this project. This site is not easy to use and I just stumbled across "recent" photos on the home page and finally found this project. It looks great. Love the photos of the ladder deployed against the wall - brings back memories of the 45' one I used to have to wrestle with - thankfully only in practice like I told you previously - never had to use it at a fire as that rig went into reserve within a year of my joining the dept.

This will make a great model - can't wait to show this to the other reetired guys at our next breakfast.

Take care,
    Kurt
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Kurt,
    Thanks and yes it is going to be a great kit to compliment the Allerton. The ladder was fun to build and especially to get it to work.
    I am sure some builders will have fun with it. Just plugging away on the final drawings and few little details.

Ken

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Last edited by xken; 06-11-14 at 09:26 AM.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Finally back on line after a move to Morro Bay, California. We packed up after our house sold in Wooster, Ohio and headed west for a five day leisurly drive across this great land including a visit to the Grand Canyon. That is one big hole in the ground! Arrived in Morro Bay to find that our new house was flipped in 10 days by our wonderful daughter and son-in-law. Popcorn ceiling scrapped flat and painted, new bamboo wood flooring throughout living room, dinning room and kitchen. All bedrooms with new carpeting and the garage studio floor expoy painted and last but not least a small stack of bills. The moving was not without pitfalls; the moving company Atlas split our household goods into two loads with 2/3's arriving on time; however the rest with all my shop, computer monitor and dinning table etc...has yet to arrive and we are told perhaps this Saturday. I have rigged one of my TV's to be my computer monitor to finally get online.

We bought the house here sight unseen through our daughter and Skype; she walked through the house with her laptop. Well the house has more than exceeded our expectations with a beautiful pastoral scene out our bedroom window with five layers of rolling hills off in the distance. We were greeted at our back fence by two stallions that walk/run the pasture. In front of the house we have a panoramic view of house tops (we are at the top of a hill) top off with an ocean view that we are told we will be able to see whales sounding.

Anyway once my shop arrives and is back in working order I will be back to the ladder wagon. For those that wish my new email it is kenforan@charter.net

Ken

1890 Ladder Wagon
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. KURTVD19's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Kurt
    Ken:
    The new place sounds great. Looks like you got more than you anticipated - the view must be terrific.
    I finally got the chance to use the Yellow Ochre when soldering up a sailboat's mast/boom gooseneck. I was altering an old AJ Fisher piece and the fit for the boom pin was sloppy and the piece needed to be reinforced. Before reading your book and finding out about the use of the Yellow Ochre as an anti-flux I would have had to drill out the hole for the boom pin but by coating the boom pin with the Yellow Ochre I was able to use the pin to size the hole - the solder flowed everyplace it needed to go to reinforce the part and when it cooled I just pulled the pin out and had a nice fit. What a time saver.
    Hope the shop arrives soon and you get back in operation - I have missed updates on the ladder wagon.
    Kurt
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Kurt,
    Glad to hear about your success with the use of yellow ochre, it is a great process that seems to have been kept secret or just lost with the lack of new silversmiths in the education arena. My wife shared this with me and she has a BFA. degree in Sivlersmithing and taught it for ten years.
    The balance of our stuff arrived Saturday morning so we spent the entire day trying to fit 10 lbs of stuff into a 3lb. bag. The workdesks and benches are in place and equipment plugged in and working. Now the next couple of days will be like Christmas opening boxes to find out what is inside.

Yes the views are spectacular, Friday afternoon the whales put on a great show out front. With binoculars we watched from our living room their sounding and jumping; one even rolled in the water with a fin straight up in the air as if waving.

Now back to sorting out the goods.

Ken

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Last edited by xken; 07-20-14 at 11:50 AM.
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    1890 Ladder Wagon-ladder-wagon-view-final-jpg

I have been busy completeing the plan drawings for the Ladder Wagon in between house renovation projects. I am also learning the new area here in Morro Bay, California and have finally located a hobby shop in Atascadero about 20 miles away. Mostly targeting RC planes and cars; but has supplies, tools and a great paint selection. Rumor has it that the ALLerton may be released in October.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. KURTVD19's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Kurt
    Ken:
    Good to see you back to work on the ladder wagon - probably a nice break from the renovations and getting settled in.
    Kurt
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Kurt, you are correct on that; breaks for the eyes are needed drawing in CAD and zooming in and out constantly. It looks like the next project is going to be a horse drawn hearse.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    The cast parts have finally arrived. Here are bags of assorted parts. At a glance they look great even though some of the bracing pieces are bent up which is caused by removal from the mold they are easily straighened out as needed.
    Now to start the "proof of Production" model using all production parts from the kit.

1890 Ladder Wagon-lw-bags-jpg

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Great to see you back Ken. Looking forward to the build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Daniel, great to be back after a cross the country move, new computer setups and setting the new studio with proper lighting and and electrical outlets.
    Here is an image of the front axle and fifth wheel assembly. The red frame is wood along with the axle brace; the cast metal parts are painted satin black.

1890 Ladder Wagon-dscn3234_edited-1-jpg

Here it is up on wheels for the first time with all the cast parts fitting perfectly.

1890 Ladder Wagon-dscn3240_edited-1-jpg

A side view of the front half. Now back to finishing parts and writing the assembly instructions.

1890 Ladder Wagon-dscn3243_edited-1-jpg

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. KURTVD19's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Kurt
    Ken:
    NICE! This looks like it will be another super kit. The cast parts appear to have held up good compared to the masters. Makes a very nice model so far. I hope the ladder comes out as well - all the laser cutting char can be an issue.
    Kurt
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Kurt,
    Yes the parts are holding up; however there are some of the normal issues with this type of casting 1890 Ladder Wagon process, minor voids, offset parting lines and some surface texture and thin parts being bent. All are easily corrected with files and sanding 1890 Ladder Wagon sticks. Here is a good example of the quality of most of the parts. These are 0-80 1890 Ladder Wagon threads on the pulley yoke.
    1890 Ladder Wagon-cast-pulley-jpg

I am still plugging away on the assembly instructions and have also to do an individual parts drawing. Already starting to think about the next project.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. KURTVD19's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Kurt
    Ken:
    Very good quality of casting 1890 Ladder Wagon when the threads are reproduced so well. What's the next project?
    Kurt
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Kurt, he is a sneak preview, I still have to do the ropes for the man pull and ladder. Then finish all the instructions and one parts drawing.

1890 Ladder Wagon-dscn3330_edited-1-jpg

1890 Ladder Wagon-dscn3331_edited-1-jpg

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #46