Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 03-27-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am still waiting for the Allerton decals to arrive. However I got the go ahead from Model Expo for the next project a 1890 Ladder Wagon. I photographed and measured the existing wagon at the Wayne County Historical Society and then drew it up in CAD. This is my first experience of having a full size CAD drawing of a subject to build. I have sent the CAD file for the laser cut wood for the frame and wheels. In the meantime I made my own frame rail by wet forming 1/8" x 1/4" basswood stock.

Here is what the real one looks like.

Here is the frame rail laying on the CAD drawing.

Once the frame was constructed I decided to build the most complex components on the wagon, the fifth wheel assembly. Here is the fifth wheel with the front axle and frame attachment in place.

Here is a closeup of a technique I use in soldering in close quarters. The two short braces were formed and filed for a tight fit and clipped in place with small alligator clips 1890 Ladder Wagon . Then I removed the nut that was close to the joint and added Yellow Ochre that protects an area from being soldered. In this case I am protecting the threads and the area at the bottom with the hole. This way I can solder the braces in place for a correct fit. This was also done on the backside as well.

This shows the fifth wheel in place as well as the frame braces. Again the main brace is one piece with the center hole to attach to the fifth wheel and the "V" section formed and soldered in place.

Next I will work on the forward hitch which fits into the two parallel arms on the fifth wheel.

Ken

1890 Ladder Wagon
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the effort in documenting every step in detail.
    Great work as always, and enjoying every single bit of it.
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. sacmankc135's Avatar Member
    Name
    Louis
    I wouldn't mind a set of those drawings. Looks great.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    sacmankc,

Unfortunately I am under contract with Model Expo so I cannot share; however a set of the drawings will come with the kit when introduced in the fall.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    A package of goodies arrived yesterday from Model Expo and one of the items was scale rope. I had trying to wrap the rope onto the reel dry and it just had too much spring in it. So I started wetting it with water, I mean really soaking it and it felt a little slimmy; there must be some kind starch in the processing of the rope itself. Anyway once soaked thoroughly it wound one much easier although at times I wish I had a third hand 1890 Ladder Wagon . Keep in mind I had to do some math to calculate the length needed which ended up at 74 inches. The ends were feed through the hand holds and then glued to the reel. Then the wrapping started to end in the right position and have the reel stops work at the correct position.

Here is a view of the rope in place.

Also in the package were the laser cut Basswood parts for the frame and ladders.

Here is the frame glued together and I will be using this frame to write the instructions. The parts were dead on and I could press fit the cross members into the assembled wagon. The main frame will be painted red.

Here are the ladder parts sanded and ready to stain. These will have a wood stain finish rather than be painted red like the frame. My research shows most of the ladders were treated with a marine varnish which makes sense given the water environment they were used in. Look at all the holes.

Now off to stain the ladder parts.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. belugawhaleman's Avatar Member
    Name
    paul
    Amazing work!
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    While waiting for 1/8" dowels to come I have dry fitted the ladder together using 1/8" brass tube. Here is the stained and clear coated ladder sections in place with the two side rails glued to the bottom section to form a slide for the top ladder. My hope is to have a functioning ladder when done. The rope pulley will seat against the top rung shown here.

Here is the center section and shows the track formed by the side rails glued in place.

Here is the rear center section section that shows the track a little better. The two side pieces resting on the wood cross members will be a shorter ladder to reach a second story without using the large ladder.

Next I will make the balance of the parts for the ladders both wood and metal. I wood dowels from the DYI suppliers are really 7/64" an just enough variance to not work.

Also I am using water based stain and clear coat 1890 Ladder Wagon for the wood pieces for glue adhesion purposes. Solvent based stains will breakdown over time. I also stain all the parts and clear coat 1890 Ladder Wagon before assembling with glue; if you use CA it seals the wood and then when you stain you end up with light spots that are unstained.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Nice Work Ken, is this a horsedrawn wagon to ? any connection to the steamwagon apart from the years.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Egon,

This wagon was pulled by men, hence no driver seat. The rope was let out for the number of men pulling and then the reel was locked in position. The men would be in the middle of the rope loop and grab the rope with each hand. Once at the site the rope was reeled up and then the hand grips in the front that the rope passes through were used to maneuver once at the fire. Somewhat of a clever design.

This would have been tough on hills I think.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Last edited by xken; 05-11-14 at 10:10 PM.
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I have been busy building ladders and ladder parts. Here is a "in progress" extended 39" ladder. Next besides a little more fussing I need to make the pulley that winds up the rope and extends the ladder. This is as high as it will go. I am still trying to sort out how the rope is rigged to release the stops. Right now the top pulley works smooth as the ladder extends.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    WOW
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    We now have a functioning ladder extended by using the crank handle. Here is the crank handle in place. The short rope limits the travel of the ladder stops so they engage the rung.

Here is a view showing th rope rigging parts and how the ropes are attached. The top rope goes up and through the top pulley then loops back to the crank mechanism. There will be a second rope that releases the stops to let the ladder down.

Here is a close up of the lift arms. The rings are like a universal joint for these lifting arms.

Here is a step back view of the lifting arm. The ladder would be removed from the wagon and laid on the ground. Then four or five men would man each arm and lift the ladder into position and the arms would form a tripod if necessary. These guys were strong to lift after pulling the wagon to the site.

Now back to finishing up more ladder parts, and the lifting system works perfect.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here I have stained the lifting arms and wanted to follow up on the previous post. Here are two views of how the lifting arms worked. Of course there are many various positions for the arms but this shows them with the ladder fully extended.

Here is a different view. If you look close you can see the rope wraped around neatly of the crank mechanism. Perhaps if there are any firemen reading they can provide the offical name for these arms.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I have been busy making small items and still have to make many more square bolts and nuts as masters for casting 1890 Ladder Wagon . Here is an example of the "Hook" from the term Hook and Ladder Wagon. First I sawed the perimeter of the hook shape then I used a blue marker on both sides to use as reference as I hand filed the cutting edge on both sides. This helps in using reflective light to get an accurate cut edge. Then I sawed a notch to receive the hook in the end of a round bar and turned the shank to the correct size and taper.

Here are the two parts soldered together and using Staybrite solder filed for the final shaping. A hole was drilled in the end of the wood dowel to recive the hook.

Here are the cleats that are at the bottom of the main ladder that dug into the ground to keep the ladder from slipping. Here is where my new four jaw lathe chuck was used to turn square stock to make nuts and bolts. Many of these will be soldered in place on the masters for casting 1890 Ladder Wagon like these are. Each bolt is indexed into a hole using a turned shaft that sticks through the part and is soldered on the backside and then the excess shaft is cut off.

Here are the two models side by side for comparision. As you can see the ladder wagon is a great companion for the Allerton Steam Pumper. Look under the main ladder and you can see the second one floor ladder. The main frame will be painted red which is unpainted in this picture.

Here is another view looking down. The length of the ladder wagon as it sits here is 26.5 inches long.

Now to finish up a bunch of square nuts and bolts as masters for casting 1890 Ladder Wagon . I will then photograph many details for reference while writing the assembly instructions until I get back the cast parts for the production proof. Then dissassemble and clean up any parts that need it and send off for casting 1890 Ladder Wagon . I am still amazed that men pulled this wagon to the scene of the fire back then.

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    That was back when men were tough and fire knew better then to mess with them...that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Just finished up making the simulated square bolts on my new 4 jaw chuck. Here are some of the bolts both square and round headed. The nuts will be photoetched 1890 Ladder Wagon .

Here is a view of the froward half showing the rope pulley and ladders in place.

Here is the rear half of the wagon showing the lift arms in the clips.

Here is another front view.

Now to disassemble, clean up the brass parts and ship them for casting 1890 Ladder Wagon .

1890 Ladder Wagon
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #31