Close

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 02-12-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here is a link to the Model Expo announcement. I will now start to post build pictures now that the announcement has gone public.

http://trailsandfields.blogspot.com/...ways-fire.html

Here is a picture of the real 1869 Allerton

Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper-allerton-front-jpg

Ken

Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. keramh's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Marek
    Hi Ken,

have received your book on Monday and I'm thrilled.
    Now here is the building report.
    This is real inspiration to me.

[B]www.scale16.de.vu[/B]
    the modelkit databank for the scale 1/16
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Marek, I hope you find the book enjoyable and useful.

Just a quick update, finished up the second flywheel and then moved on the the center support brace and bearing for crankshaft between the two flywheels. Here is the start of the brace which is press fit between the walls of the front pump box and rear steam box. From here on out parts will be getting smaller and smaller with tolerances even tighter. This is what makes the building experience enjoyable the challenges and problem solving.

Now to finish up the brace before moving on to the linkage.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. keramh's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Marek
    Hello,

yes, thank you, I'm starting to translate it fully, even as I have with other books as well The Car Modeller 1 & 2 of G.Wingrove did.

[B]www.scale16.de.vu[/B]
    the modelkit databank for the scale 1/16
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Simply fantastic Ken!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is a series on building the drive links for the crankshaft. First I calculated the center to center dimension and drilled a 3/32" hole at each location. Then using the hole as reference cut and filed the link to size around the holes. To make the three additional ones I CA'ed the first to the bar stock and scribed the perimeter and drilled the holes using the first set of holes as a guide.

Once all the holes were drilled and rough shaped I then slipped all four onto 3/32" rods and then finish filed all to identical shape.

This shows them dry fitted to the slide frame with the slide in place. The slide still needs to be cross filed half round to fit the top spacer tubes on the frame.

This shows the slide frame in place dry fitted to the pump arm with the links in position on the rod representing the crankshaft location. Also the center brace and bearing cap are press fit in place as well.

Here is a close up of the finished slide in place on the track of the slide frame, this was made from 1/8" square bar seen in place as a spacer in the first picture above. Eventually the slides will be soldered in place to the crankshaft for ease of assembly in the correct locations. The right side will be centered top to bottom on the slide frame and the left at the top of the frame.

Now to the rest of the assembly and crankshaft. The challenge is to be able to balance the casting Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper requirements with those of ease of assembly. Thinking ahead this drive system is like building a boat in a bottle.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    What you are doing Ken is both beautiful and bewildering. The cranftsmanship is top drawer but looking at those pics I can not imagine how that would work. I can not see how that vertical element is going to go around the crank without hitting. God I love vehicles from pre 1970...as long as they wear a Bowtie.

Okay Okay...I've owned others and I still have a Ford truck. Don't go beating up on me just beacuse you are a Mopar guy or Mustang lover. I am sorry though.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David,

The next few pictures will make it much clearer.The piece you are thinking it will hit will be cut away on the crank. Here is how it works, the arm pushes out from the steam cylinder while the other is returning; the slides go up and down inside the frame glides pushing or pulling the frame in a horizontal position. The same principle as the drive wheel on a train except this action is horizontal and the flywheels aid getting through top dead center.

This running at full speed had to be one hell of a scary thing to be around.

Here is a picture of the real deal, get a beer and study it.

Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper-dscn5704-jpg

Ken

Last edited by xken; 03-15-13 at 10:07 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David,
    Here is a further along in progress picture of the drive system. The rear arms to the steam cylinders still need to be added. The part you were thinking of is gone and you can see how the crankshaft works.

Here is a close up. This shows the center bearing beam support and oilier for lubricating the bearing. I have to make more oilers for the top of the slide frame and flywheel bearings as seen in the picture of the real system.

Here is a parts layout so far showing the various components. More still have to be made.

Back to work, today I have to help the wife at a craft show.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here the steam cylinder drive arms have been added and the flywheel bearings have been turned down for external linkage.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Okay, I get it now and I agree that is a LOT of mass turning with no real protection! I would imagine that it didn't do to many rpms but even at say 80-100 rpm I would like to see it...from afar!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I am still speechless and Mike.......
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I have all the drive system sorted out and fitted for now so for a change of pace I shifted to the tiny stuff.

Here are the oilers that are in the top links of the frame that lubricate the bronze slides. I have to make two more that will index into the top of the main frame rails to lubricate the flywheel bearings.

These are the start of the steam cylinder metering valves mounted in the cross-over pipe. Another valve and round handle will need to be added facing to the rear in the center of the ball shape on each. Then the center area will be added to the cross-over pipe. It helps having good eyesight working this small. The two risers for the cross-over pipe were turned by starting with 1/4" hex bar.

Here is a little farther away overall look that also shows the oilers in place.

Now to continue on finishing up the tiny metering valves bits and pieces in duplicate.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Tiny stuff? This build is stunning to say the least Ken..You are indeed a master craftsman...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Michael, thank you for your kind words. Here are the second set of valves added to the first. Next will be a horizontal box affair between the two vertical valves.

The horizontal valve bodies were turned starting with 1/16" hex bar, post on one end to insert into the ball and a 1/32" hole drilled on the other end to receive the flared knob with a stem on it; all then soldered together. The stems were "tinned" first with solder then press fit into the holes, fluxed and then the iron added to the part (the ball shape and top of the knob) to flow the solder with no solder on the clean tip of the iron. A form of sweat soldering.

Now to move on.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Did Mike say stunning? I am not totally sure but I think those phazers were set to kill. WOW!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #46