Close

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 02-12-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here is a link to the Model Expo announcement. I will now start to post build pictures now that the announcement has gone public.

http://trailsandfields.blogspot.com/...ways-fire.html

Here is a picture of the real 1869 Allerton

Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper-allerton-front-jpg

Ken

Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Michael, I cannot post from my work computer anymore, I type a message title and that is all that will happen and I get a message "reply to short" I can do everything else no problem.

The scale is 1/12th and my good eyesight with no magnification is being pushed to the limit on these acorn nuts.

Thank you both for your compliments.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Finally have them all done, at least for the pump top. I ended up making 30 to get 24 acceptable ones. Turning this small was a bit of a challenge for the old eyeballs.

Here is a picture of some "in progress" nuts with one still on the 5/64" hex rod. The two lower ones were rejects.

This shows a "gaggle" of nuts with the penny for scale; the one on the upper left is a reject just for comparison. The shafts have a slight taper and the holes in the pump box top were reamed for a press fit to hold them in place for soldering.

This shows them soldered in place. The two front ones with the longer stems are just set in place. I will have to make the seat mounting brackets first and these two corner nuts will hold the brackets in place. Also I have to locate a boss for a gauge in the lower right area.

One lesson learned for the next time is to setup and turn all at the same time. I found that doing a few at a time caused variance, but once I had time to do a dozen I got into a mode with no disruptions and they went quickly and consistently.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. keramh's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Marek
    Hello,
    Class work, I wondered at the first picture, what are the many grease nipples.

[B]www.scale16.de.vu[/B]
    the modelkit databank for the scale 1/16
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Acorn nuts not grease nipples, this is the gauge on the left and the valve on the right that I need to locate and make. You can see why they are called acorn nuts and how the modern ones have been simplified for production.

Looks like those you posted are aluminum and were made on an automatic CNC screw machine, wish I had one.

Ken

Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper-dscn5811-jpg

Last edited by xken; 02-21-13 at 08:29 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Continuing on the upper half of the pump box I turned the parts for two hose valves. These are the valves that the firemen attached the hose to enable to fight the fire, one on each side of the pump box. The threads are 1/4-28 to attach the hoses to the valves.

The two turned parts were press fitted together and the small "rabbit hole" in the bottom was to add the solder into and in heating the rest of the assembly with the tip of the iron the solder then flowed down and around the shafts with minimal cleanup on the joints needed. The bottom was then filed flat. The small vertical stem on top will have the open/close handle to be added later. Also the top shoulder needed a slight radius so rather than try to turn that small I just flowed it in with Statbrite solder before the main soldering operation.

This shows the hose valves in place on the box as well as the gauge, and small valve, location posts for a petcock on the side and pipe line on the rear. The two front corner seat attachment points have been added as well.

Here is an over view of the box setting on the frame. The seat attachment points are better to see in this view.

Now back to the handles and petcock. Please pardon the image distortion in using the closeup setting on the camera.

Ken

Last edited by xken; 02-24-13 at 07:49 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Man that is looking really good Ken. When I grow up I want to be able to do this level of work!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David, you can do work just like this, just plan ahead, work slowly and just do it! SF

Here I added the handles to the hose valves, note that I puddled solder on the top of the handle to form a dome on the handle end on the stem. Then shaped them with needle files to match.

Here I slit some stock to add the resting flange for the boiler tube and facilitate the flow of metal when cast. The brass strips were annealed and then very carefully formed on edge to mate to the inner diameter of the ring and soldered in place.

I also started the steam cylinder housing that rests in the frame rails, this is a bottom view. I had to bore a solid brass rod and then slit it to the correct section needed.

Here is a close up of the front pump box pieces parts in place.

Here is an overall view the card stock tube represents the lower half of the boiler tank which will be stainless steel when done. Here you can see the cored out steam cylinder housing.

Now to finish up the steam cylinder housing and then things will get real interesting filling in between the front and rear with all the drive mechanism.
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Spent some time building this steam box that required some tight tolerances due to scale. Here is an overall view of the finished assembly outside the frame. The penny provides a sense of scale.

Here are the parts broken down. All the parts are fabricated hollow to keep the overall weight to a minimum when cast. This shows the outside surfaces of the box. Note the lid had to be made separate to avoid an undercut situation for casting Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper .

This shows the inside of the parts.

Here is the lower half setting in the frame, indexed in place from the bottom side of the frame. This part will be painted black in the finished model being made of cast iron.

This shows the assembly in place in the frame. The card stock tube represents the boiler surface, the two round fittings are where the steam piston arms will attach.

Now to the center area mechanism which will be interesting to sort out.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi Ken, If you can find a copy of Osbourne's Modern Marine Engineering (ancient engineering now) It has a very good section on double acting pumps like this, and will fill in the technical details to arrange your fantastic parts plausibly.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Buck,

I have even a better source, I am working from the real 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper in the local museum. There were literally 100's of locally designed and built machines. There were only 5 of the Allerton's built and even they had personalized features.

Here is a picture of the 1:1 Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper Steam Pumper

Here is just one of many reference pictures I am using. this shows the drive mechanism with the steam box on the right and the water pump box on the left. This central area is what I will be working on next. I have actual dimensions of every component and if I need more I just go to the museum.

Thanks for the book reference!

Ken

Last edited by xken; 03-02-13 at 11:15 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Now moving to the bottom of the pump box I cut and soldered the support blocks for the steam fitting that is attached to the bottom of the right side steam cylinder. A petcock to drain water will be added later to the hole location. This part is a combination of a turning and rod all soldered together. This part has two location pins that index into the cylinder and press fit in place for now. The bolt heads are 00-90 Article: 1/12 Scale 1869 Allerton Steam Pumper size. The two upper ones in the frame are holding the assembly in place for construction purposes.

Here is a left side view. On the right are the drive arms to the pump.

This is a front view. Here you can see the attachment points for the drive arms coming out of the steam cylinders.

Here is a closeup of the pump drive arms. The ends of the rods will have the vertical slides on them. These arms are .125 diameter.

Here is an overall view so far. Next I will work on the two flywheels that will index in the two holes in the sides of the frame.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    The detail is impeccable....Its hard to tell that its 1/12 scale...Beautiful work Ken...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Michael, thank you for your kind words, it is a bit of a challenge at this scale but still larger than my 1/16th scale WWI airplanes.

Here I have moved on to the flywheels and started with a CAD generated paper pattern, drilled hole locations for the insertion of the saw blade and inside radii. Then very carefully sawed out the inner sections to be removed. This sheet is .040" thick and had to cut two of them. The flywheel OD is 1 5/8" diameter.

Here is the cut out part. I use the dividers and blue marker to true up the part diameters with files. The divider scribe lines are very fine and show up very well in the light.

This shows how well the the scribe lines show up in the light. These are the outer layers and the inner lines are reference lines to file to to form the bevel edges.

This shows the various stages of the flywheel parts. The aluminum piece is a fixture I turned to use when truing up the beveled parts.The beveled edges are hand filed then carpet tapped to the aluminium fixture, then chucked in the lathe. Then the inner and outer beveled edges are trued using a file and slow speed on the lathe. The lower left shows a beveled parts just off the lathe.
    The three parts are then soldered together and cleaned up of excess solder.

Here is the soldered flywheel test fitted on the 3/32" drive shaft. The flywheel will need bearing shoulders on each side added to space the flywheel off the frame and links.

Now to finish up the second flywheel and add the shoulders to both.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I am speechless...WOW!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by spinellid82 View Post
    I am speechless...WOW!
    Now thats a "FIRST"
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #31