Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carlsberg Dray

Builder Last Online: Oct 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-14-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

O.K., the "Getr Done" attitude around here has me enthused. I have a small mountain of wagon plans ... more imagination than skill, and I am currently recovering from serious eye surgery, and blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

I have picked the largest wagon I have plans for ... A Carlsberg Dray. This puppy is about 26" long when done (without the tongue) and it is a fairly simple build (he says ... having no idea). Then there are those pesky barrels ...

I only have one pic of this wagon and can't find anymore anywhere. There used to be pics of a model, but I can't find them either so, I will wing it.

Cheers,

Tom
      View image in gallery
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    YEEEHAWWW...and away we go. Right on Tom

Cheers - Gus
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Now this is going to be entertaining........just how many beer barrels is that monster hauling?
    Think I'd upgrade to a 4 or 6 Clydesdale team to improve the 1/4 mile times.....man, that's quite a project.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Hey Gus ... you just knew I was going to try something!

Don, the wagon was usually pulled by four horses ... 6 for a parade or show. Keep in mind that these horses typically weigh between 1600 and 2000 pounds each and are easily 7 to 8 feet tall at the back. For a show, the groomers have to stand on a 3 foot high bench just to get to their heads.

As far as the barrels go, it looks like there are 40 some odd. I'd be a lot happier trying to empty them than building them

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    Last edited by wagnmkr; 11-14-12 at 01:23 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    If you need help with the emptying chores rattle my cage, be more than happy to help ya out.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Search google.dk (carlsbergs hestevogn)
    Attached Images Attached Images Carlsberg Dray-mj5299-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Egon. I found a nice pic but the emphasis was on the horses. There used to be some pics of an actual model build on another wagon forum, but they are gone now.
    On the upside, if there is nothing to compare it to, then mine has to be right

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Oh Boy, looking forward to this, hope you take us from step 1 on................I have looked @ plans for wagons, but I am just starting and will build kits for now, oh yea, I am blind in one eye, can not see out of the other, left ear is deaf, wifey says right ear is selective........
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Rick.

Yup, this will be from step one all right. I got the metal for the axles today and I will start machining them tomorrow I hope. (Wifey whispered in my good ear something about the to do list).

Don, when I get to emptying those barrels, there might be a spare glass or two. Each barrel has it's own serial number on it ... and I have the list of numbers ...so ... if any go missing ....

Cheers,
    Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Tom, take a tour around Carlsbergs old buildings with google maps streetveiw, they rides on a bicycles into the stables, can't see if they got that vagon in there, but I think so.
    Attached Images Attached Images Carlsberg Dray-carlsberg-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Egon, I will give that a go.

I did more searching yesterday and found a couple of more pics. The wagon in my plans carries the number #46 and the wagon in the pics I found is #47 and virtually the same wagon so they helped.

The plans state that some of the detail WAS NOT MEASURED, so on a bunch of it I will be on my own anyway.

In reality, this will not be a 100% scale model of this wagon, just a fair representation of what the wagon was like. That will be fine with me.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    A couple of more pics of the wagon ...

I just realized that the wagon in the bottom pic is #46 ... same as my plans!

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    Last edited by wagnmkr; 11-16-12 at 11:11 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    And so we begin.

As with most things in life, there are many ways to achieve an end. This is my way of doing it for this type of wheel.

Wagon wheel rims are broken down into parts, called fellies. Each fellie usually has two spokes attached to it ... 12 spoke wheels have 6 fellies, 14 spoke wheels have 7 fellies.

This wagon has 12 spokes on both front and back wheels.

First I cut the segments for the rim and dry fit them to make sure that the angles are correct and that there are no gaps.

Then, I apply glue and put the rings in a metal clamp and leave overnight ...

Next day I take off the clamp.

I will run 80 grit sand Carlsberg Dray paper over one side to get rid off any lumps of glue, and then I will mount this on a wood faceplate, ready to mount on the lathe

I usually make these blanks thick enough (1" to 1 1/2" thick) to get two rims out of each blank.

I use a wood face plate that mounts on a metal faceplate for the lathe. I turn a flat so that the blank can self center on the faceplate ...

I apply a liberal amount of glue, clamp the blank to the faceplate, and I will leave that overnight to fully cure Carlsberg Dray . I will likely turn them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    Last edited by wagnmkr; 11-16-12 at 02:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Tom,
    Looks like you are off to a great start. Is that oak that you are using?

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Ken,

Yes, that is kiln dried red oak. I chose that for two reasons ... the segments were already cut ( results of one of those "measure twice ... cut once moments" from a previous set) and this could end up as a glitzy, oak and brass affair. I will wait and see how many mistakes there are to hide with thick paint!

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #15