Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Carlsberg Dray

Builder Last Online: Oct 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-14-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

O.K., the "Getr Done" attitude around here has me enthused. I have a small mountain of wagon plans ... more imagination than skill, and I am currently recovering from serious eye surgery, and blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

I have picked the largest wagon I have plans for ... A Carlsberg Dray. This puppy is about 26" long when done (without the tongue) and it is a fairly simple build (he says ... having no idea). Then there are those pesky barrels ...

I only have one pic of this wagon and can't find anymore anywhere. There used to be pics of a model, but I can't find them either so, I will wing it.

Cheers,

Tom
      View image in gallery

Carlsberg Dray
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I could go there and measure the 46 and take some pic to you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    I agree, Tom looks like your off to a great start............I see already, I shall learn a great deal from this build.
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Rick ... I will likely learn a bunch as well!

Egon, does that mean you live there? At this point, there are a couple of parts for the rear of the wagon that are unclear on the plan.

Certainly if it becomes a problem, I will let you know.

My wife and I are going on holiday to England in the spring and I was even considering a side trip to see the wagon.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I could go there and measure the 46 and take some pic to you.
    Egon, bring back one of the barrels as well!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Errrr ... Ken ..... Shouldn't that be SEVERAL of the barrels

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    I just ran into the first problem with the plans. They say that the rear wheels should be 14 spoke types and yet on the actual wagon in the pic, the rear wheel only has 12 spokes ...... Hmmmmmmm. Now, most all of the other plans I have show a 12 on the front and a 14 on the back, except for a military type that has 16 spokes front and back.

Curious for sure, but I am going to stay with what I see in the pic.

Cheers

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    The blank is now turned to the correct inside and outside diameter. I will leave it overnight to let any built in stress work it's way out, and I will do a final, very thin, finish cut, and then part off the two rear rims.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    There will be a slight pause while I redo what I have done so far.

I have been playing for several hours, trying to enhance the shadow detail in the pics of the wagons. I had the two side by side for a while and then it hit me ... although these two wagons (#46 and #47 ) look identical, they are not!

The #47 wagon does indeed have 12 spoke rear wheels and 12 spoke front wheels ... But, more than that, the #47 has two piece, Sarven style steel hubs that are held together with 8 bolts. It also has a different undercarriage.

The #46 (my model) has 14 spoke rear and 12 spoke front wheels and they have the wood hub (knave).
    It looks like that part of the plan is not wrong after all.

It has been said, and this is a prime example, that many variations of exactly the same wagon can be found, depending on who made it. Gus and Ken's buckboard is another example. I also have two sets of plans for a John Deer grain wagon. One set of plans calls for the metal (Military/Sarven) type hubs and the other calls for the wooden hub. The rest of the wagon is almost identical.

So, I need to make some new segments for the rear wheels, glue them up, and turn them.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnmkr View Post
    Thanks Rick ... I will likely learn a bunch as well!

Egon, does that mean you live there? At this point, there are a couple of parts for the rear of the wagon that are unclear on the plan.

Certainly if it becomes a problem, I will let you know.

My wife and I are going on holiday to England in the spring and I was even considering a side trip to see the wagon.

Cheers,

Tom
    Yes. I live in Copenhagen, neer the airport and not far from Carlsberg.
    I'm not sure the barrels have beer in them, and a little to big to put in the pocket, but I could give it a try.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Egon, I am sure those would be empty barrels ... but we can always dream!!

Since I already had that blank in the lathe, I went ahead and finished the process. I cut off the first rim, faced the blank, and then cut off the second one ...

Then I hand sanded the rims a bit, and here they are ...

I will keep these on the "for later use" pile. If I decide to do a glitzy version of this wagon, I will make the metal hub version, hubs out of brass, all polished up and pretty.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Nice, very very nice clean workmanship..........I see already this is going to be a classy wagon build.
    Rick

PS: I spent 8 years in FRG and I remember seeing on occasion a beer wagon just like the one you have posted, but it was for a German beer, I believe Lowen Brau? If I mis-spelled I am sorry, but I think I am getting the point right.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Rick.

I have seen a north American version of this, but it is smaller and lighter.

Well, real life got in the way for a few days, but I have managed to redo the rear rims, and now have the set done and ready for the next step.

I am going to do the hubs (knaves) next. and think about what wood I will use for the spokes. I have decided to try painting this wagon, so what is under the paint doesn't really matter too much.

Cheers,

Tom

Carlsberg Dray
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Noel Smith's Avatar Active Member
    Interesting posts. The Carlsberg wagon is certainly impressive.
    It has not been mentioned yet, but there are various books and plans by the late John Thompson about building scale model horsedrawn vehicles that were published here in the UK. Still available I believe. The Carlsberg wagon is listed in their plans handbook.
    There is a society named The Guild of Model Wheelwrights in the UK who have a website worth a look also.
    Whilst on the subject of Brewers Drays, does Anhauser Busch supply any plans for model makers of the Budweiser Show Dray?
    I know a plastic kit came out some time ago by AMT Carlsberg Dray that could be copied and made from wood.
    Most of the drays in the UK would have been pulled by 2 heavy horses when actually in commercial use. Those that have been restored get pulled by teams of 4 normally at the country shows circuit in the UK. Rarely by a team of 6.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. 5thwheel's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    William
    Tom,
    You are correct. Most wagons have 14 rear and 12 front. But there are exceptions on some heavy wagons which use 12 & 12. You will usually find heavier spokes on these.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30