Close

Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-14-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This one was built by a fellow by the name of Stan Wychopin - who passed away in 2010 before I even knew he existed...and he lived 30 miles North of me. Small world

I've only got the single photo of the coach and a tiny bit of info. I 'think' some of the family is still in the area and I do intend to chase down a bit more info 'some day'.

The coach, as far as I know is one of a series of 20 made by Mr. Wychopin. One is presently in the Alberta Museum and I'm told one was in the Twin Towers on display...but I don't know if it was there on the 11th or not.

The coaches are constructed in 1:8 scale and (at least partially) of Rosewood and Rosewood veneer but I don't know what else is in there. The metal work is all brass that has been gold plated Just a Stage Coach - for the OOOOOH and AWWWW factor . Each model originally sold for $50,000. The latest sale of one that I can confirm (100%) was a couple of years ago and it went for $57,000. I have no idea where the remainder of the series are locaated.

If I ever do get more info I'll be sure to post it here as work like this really shouldn't go undocumented.

Cheers - Gus

EDIT to add a short writeup from the Royal Alberta Museum
      Inspired by the Abbott–Downing Coach Company circa 1813-1886
      Stan Wychopen of North Battleford, Saskatchewan, constructed the basic frame-and-panel coach body of this model using Brazilian rosewood, maple and ebony. The stagecoach has working windows, doors and brakes. Other fine details are made of leather and gold- plated Just a Stage Coach - for the OOOOOH and AWWWW factor brass. The coach is modeled upon a style of stagecoach manufactured between 1813 and 1886 by the Abbot–Downing Company of Concord, New Hampshire.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Sure .... make me drool profusely and ruin a brand new keyboard

You are absolutely right Gus, work of this caliber needs to be recognized.

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Art, @ it's highest level..............
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Gus,
    Great I was hoping you would post that picture. The great thing about gold is that it does not tarnish. Keep posting more gems like this as you find them.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #4