Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-10-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This thread is being posted at Ken's (very kind) urging. It's being done ONLY to illustrate what happens when two builders use the same set of plans to build the same vehicle...or, at least, what CAN happen. Even with the plans and measurements in front of the builder there is great room for interpretation. This is not a bad thing and, in fact, is exactly what happened back in the 'good ol' days' with the builders of the original 1:1 Another Buckboard 's. They might be seperated by as little as the distance from one town to the next and still have significant differences between what 'should' be identical vehicles. As time goes by I'll attempt to attach a few photo's of things that are different between the two models...but only to illustrate how the same process was approached from two angles.

The first difference is that Ken built at 1:12...and mine is at 1:8. At 1:8 my 'little bitties" are WAYYYYY bigger than his...and much easier to handle. If I wanted to find a way to go completely crazy why I'd just build at 1:12

At 1:8 I was able to use street sweeper brush for the tyres as it's almost exactly in scale. It's actually spring steel but anneals quite nicely for soldering (or drilling). Another immediate marked difference is choice of materials as I used brass and American Black Walnut. This immediately took the model out of 'museum quality build'...but I rather like the look of brass and walnut together..so that's the way it got built

More to follow....sometime...............

Cheers - Gus

Another Buckboard-buckboarddone010-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Gus,

Glad to see you posted it looks a great as ever! Now you need to dig back and come up with more of your construction steps. I know there are some of the builders here that would benefit from seeing the wood work.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Absolutely....I for one would love to see more.
    This wood working and brass construction may be old hat to some but for the majority of us it's something that we'd like to attempt but have perhaps felt we were lacking the basic skills or knowledge base.

Personally, I'm on-site just about every day and one of the first stops I make is this section......eagerly soaking up info to get up enough nerve to dive into a project like this.

Thanks guys....
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    Here's a little bit on wheel construction. I do hope Ken posts the process he used for his as a comparison on the methods will be quite educational. I should note that the actual plans were a bit ambiguous. They actually called for 'rock elm' naves (hubs). I just jumped right at that and made my naves out of wood. Wrong! Plain wood naves would simply fall apart after little use unless they hade supporting rings/bands installed. These rings/bands do not appear on the plans (nave blow-up diagram) at all. The plans also called for 'staggered' spokes. (staggered spokes are offset on the nave to provide two rows of spokes on the nave - this provides for a much stronger 'triangle' type construction as the spokes are eventually joined in a single line on the felloes (rim)
    this will allow a wheel to survive considerably longer on rough terrain.

Making the felloes (rims)

I chose to make mine the traditional (in real life) way by steam bending. It turned out that American Black Walnut will do this....many other woods won't and simply de-laminate during the process. Here is the stock being set for steaming. About 20 minutes seemed to work pretty good. Actually, one should make more than needed. Sometimes one will de-lamiate and having extra's allows for the rest of the family not to hear bad language.

A proper size mandrel is needed...in this case a chunk of brass pipe I had.......and some
    screw type hose clamps. The steamed wood is actually wide enough for two felloe sections. You'll see that later. The reason is because a single-width piece of wood is VERY awkward to work with. I pre-set them into the hose clamp..

and then slide them over the mandrel and tighten them.

THEN...the whole works goes back into the pot for another 20 minutes of steaming....because it worked better and gave a better result than if I didn't do a 2nd steaming.

The whole thing is removed from the pot and then allowed to sit for two or three days to dry. Then each double-felloe section is removed from the mandrel and split into two sections to form the two felloes needed to make a complete wheel.

The fellow sections are now placed on a drawing of the wheel to be sized to near-approximate size....without going too small. Too large is OK...too small is going to be a problem....be careful

This is now the point where one decides on how the wheel is to be constructed. I like to build my wheels without glue......so they can be taken apart for repair/adjustment if required. NOTE - some builders use glue - not a problem....there are no 'rules' to this hobby except one...if it 'looks' right then you're good to go.

Some builders drill holes completely through the felloes and the spokes fit inside...some use a 'dowel' method where the end of the spoke has a smaller diameter dowel installed into a drilled hole and this dowel is placed into a corresponding hole in the felloe...some just make sure the ends of the spoke fit tigtly against the inner surface of the felloes and glue in place.

Mine use a 'blind' hole drilled half way through the felloe and the end of the spoke will 'click' into place. Drilling the holes...I mark the position of the hole on the felloe and then use a small vise as guide (clamped to the table) and a depth marker as to not drill too deep. The photo's are a bit terrible but I'm sure you get the idea. They are also for a whole different set of wheels - but they were the only photo's I had of the process

then the spokes are placed into the nave (hub) and ground to exact length...the felloes are snapped into place....and.......voila!!!

This photo is of a different wheel (metal/Sarven type nave) but gives a general idea of the constituent parts and how they can go together. The whole works is held together by the tyre. Just slip it off and the wheel can be taken apart.

Onto the nave and spokes in the near future....

Cheers - Gus

Another Buckboard
    Last edited by GusSMHDV; 11-13-12 at 08:22 PM. Reason: lost some photo's
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Gus,

How can I or someone more knowledge than myself help you post your images? I load mine right from my computer directly into the reply (posting box) using the "from computer" option, go into the browser on my computer and open the file where the images are and select one image and then double click and it is uploaded, then I repeat to select another and repeat up to six images.

They appear in the posting box as you upload in a row next to each other.

Then after the last image on the right looking at the screen, click the cursor on the right of the image (black vertical line; once there click the left arrow once and the cursor will jump to the left of that image; then click enter and the image will move below the others.

Repeat until they are all stacked. Then click the cursor to the right of the top image and hit enter and type and text you wish.

Then repeat for the rest of the images.

Now can someone else describe how to do it from a hosting site using the URL option. We need to see Gus's images they are great.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I usually upload my photos to Photobucket simply because they can be kept in "titled" albums. That way I can easily go there to retrieve a photo if I desire to post it elsewhere.
    As far as posting them here...I copy & paste the [IMG] in my text where I want the photo to be displayed.
    Photobucket provides me with the [IMG], http: codes etc.
    I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, it's simply the method I use.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    I have absolutely no idea what happened here. I do my photo's exactly like Don does and have never had a problem posting them. I rarely keep any photo's on my computer for the same reasons Don stated. Hmmmm...what to do? I was doing some clean-up on photobucket yesterday and moved a bunch of photo's to new albums...I'll bet that I did that after my posting and moving the phto's broke the link. I'll go back and see if I can re-post them.

Edit - very strange Two of the photo's showed up and the others didn't...well, they did when I previewed but they're gone again. I'll try again but something very strange is going on.

Edit again - when I clicked on the red 'X' to delete it to re-insert ....the picture showed up. I'm going to leave this for a while and see if photobucket can catch up to this site...or the other way around....or...I have no idea what I'm trying to do...which is more exactly what is going on.

Another Buckboard
    Last edited by GusSMHDV; 11-13-12 at 11:31 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gus, Photobucket has changed their format, I'm still adjusting to the new set-up myself.....they say it's more efficient etc. but they didn't check with me before the change, LOL.
    Anyway, I'll take a peek at your posts from the admin. panel, perhaps I'll be able to spot the fly in the ointment.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Okay Gus, at the bottom of your post click on "Edit Post".
    You'll see a panel with a tool bar at the top.
    You can click that first little box to toggle back and forth between the codes and an image with the pics.

Based on what I'm seeing.....your codes are mixed between [IMG] & http:s it looks to me as if somewhere along the line there's a glitch in the photobucket message from them to here?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I would suggest that you go back to photobucket & drag the [IMG] code back to your post, edit out the mixed codes & paste the proper one back in.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    On your photobucket page, sort of top, right hand side, there is a line ... small, blue print ... go back to old version. If you hit that button, you can still use the older version ... for now.

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks Tom, was not aware of that.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    You are welcome Don ... just passin on what someone passed to me.

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Okay Gus, at the bottom of your post click on "Edit Post".
    You'll see a panel with a tool bar at the top.
    You can click that first little box to toggle back and forth between the codes and an image with the pics.

Based on what I'm seeing.....your codes are mixed between [IMG] & http:s it looks to me as if somewhere along the line there's a glitch in the photobucket message from them to here?
    Just for interest - I'm on the 'old' system at photobucket. Don - when the first photo's went away I went back into photobucket and posted the correct 'img' code for each photo back to the forum. I find it interesting that 2 of the photo's show up as thumbs and the rest as red X's. There is no doubt that this is a photobucket issue as I have changed nothing in the system and use the same process (and img codes) as I have for several years. I will try going to 'edit' as you suggested and play a bit with that. Otherwise, I'm at a complete loss.

Another Buckboard
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    I'm confused - this time I did exactly the same thing I did the last two times - but it worked this time..at least it has so far. We'll see if everything is still there in a couple of hours

Another Buckboard
    QUOTE QUOTE #15