Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-10-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This thread is being posted at Ken's (very kind) urging. It's being done ONLY to illustrate what happens when two builders use the same set of plans to build the same vehicle...or, at least, what CAN happen. Even with the plans and measurements in front of the builder there is great room for interpretation. This is not a bad thing and, in fact, is exactly what happened back in the 'good ol' days' with the builders of the original 1:1 Another Buckboard 's. They might be seperated by as little as the distance from one town to the next and still have significant differences between what 'should' be identical vehicles. As time goes by I'll attempt to attach a few photo's of things that are different between the two models...but only to illustrate how the same process was approached from two angles.

The first difference is that Ken built at 1:12...and mine is at 1:8. At 1:8 my 'little bitties" are WAYYYYY bigger than his...and much easier to handle. If I wanted to find a way to go completely crazy why I'd just build at 1:12

At 1:8 I was able to use street sweeper brush for the tyres as it's almost exactly in scale. It's actually spring steel but anneals quite nicely for soldering (or drilling). Another immediate marked difference is choice of materials as I used brass and American Black Walnut. This immediately took the model out of 'museum quality build'...but I rather like the look of brass and walnut together..so that's the way it got built

More to follow....sometime...............

Cheers - Gus

Another Buckboard-buckboarddone010-jpg

Another Buckboard
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    OK - the pictures lasted about an hour...then they .........went away. I have no idea what is happening. As for going in and eidting out mixed codes.........................Don, I'm lucky to be able to turn this machine on and get to a site. 'Edit codes'.........................

I am going to send a message to photobucket...maybe they can throw some light one this.

Cheers - Gus

Edit to add---the two photo's that HAD lasted overnight are also now.....gone. I do have an emaill off to PB to see if they can get to the bottom of this.

Another Buckboard
    Last edited by GusSMHDV; 11-13-12 at 03:04 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Gus, I am sorry to see you are having problems with Photobucket, I gave up on them a few years back for the same problems you are having now.

Hopefully you will get better support from them than I did. Keep at it we need your images.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by xken View Post
    Gus, I am sorry to see you are having problems with Photobucket, I gave up on them a few years back for the same problems you are having now.

Hopefully you will get better support from them than I did. Keep at it we need your images.

Ken
    Thanks Ken - this is really annoying. I'm now awaiting a reply from PB on my "this isn't working" email to see what can be done. Has anybody ever tried moving photo's 'en bulk' from PB to another hosting service????

EDIT - OK - now trying again. PB got back to me (sort of) with an "auto-reply" that wanted me to get the latest Java and delete 'history'...and on...and on...and on...

An hour later I've got this done. Now the little pop-ups are no longer red 'X's..they are something else.?????

I'm going to try and insert the original photo's again and see what happens.

Later - Gus

Another Buckboard
    Last edited by GusSMHDV; 11-13-12 at 08:13 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gus, the only other thing I can think of is to ask what you are using for an OS.
    I know there have been some compatibility issues in the past.
    At any rate, hang in there, one way or another we'll get rid of the gremlins & get you back posting.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Gus, the only other thing I can think of is to ask what you are using for an OS.
    I know there have been some compatibility issues in the past.
    At any rate, hang in there, one way or another we'll get rid of the gremlins & get you back posting.
    Thanks Don - this is really frustrating to have the problem show up when I'm doing everything exactly the same as always. I now see that with my last bit of work the photo's are now back up...here's hoping they stay there.

Cheers - Gus

Another Buckboard
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    They are all still there this morning and looking good as well.

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Gus,

[B]CONGRATULATIONS! [/B]It looks like you cracked the code. Great sequence on building the wheels keep them coming. This technique could also be used for steering wheels as well.

Keep up the great work!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Happy days are here again...........
    You "car only" guys should keep checking in on these horse drawn builds......many of the techniques being shown on these pages are easily adaptable to automotive coaches, woodies etc.

I was a little skeptical when Ken first approached me with his proposal for a horse drawn vehicle section in Scale Motorcars........
    well, he was right. The only regret I have is that it wasn't done sooner.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    On with the wheels

[B][U][I]TRY CLICKING ON THE RED X'S FOLKS. FOR SOME REASON THE THUMB WON'T SHOW UP BUT IT SEEMS THAT YOU CAN GET TO THE PHOTO. I HAVE ANOTHER MESSAGE OFF TO PB TO ASK WHAT IS GOING ON.[/I][/U][/B]

The nave (hub) in this case was set up on my milling machine with a rotary table and a 1/16" bit. thus it was easy to make the pockets for the base of the spokes to sit in. You can use a piece of dowel - or cut your own dowel and use that. Or....make the nave out of metal should the plans call for it.

I know...you're now saying that you don't have a milling machine or a rotary table. Don't need one. Many, many people build scratch wagons with an absolute minimum of tools. Some don't have lathes, or milling machines. It's a matter of thinking about what you want to accomplish and then devise a method for doing it...with what you've got. This nave could just as easily have had a small piece of paper wrapped around it with the locations for the spokes pre-marked...and then small holes (instead of oblong pockets) drilled. The end of the spoke could have the same size hole drilled - then a piece of toothpick ...or wire pushed in...and then that is placed in the nave. Remember - what I have described is only one way of making a wheel...it certainly isn't the "start and end all" of wheel making.

Back to the wheel.

This will give you the idea (and size) of the nave. This buggy type wheel is about as small as you'll get...unless you start to build in the 1:12 scale...that only highly insane people do (sorry Ken - couldn't resist)

This is also the point where I sneak in this: You were right Ken. Your Buckboard spokes are correct and mine aren't. The ARE, in fact, square at the top. I was going off the complete drawn wheel...and didn't know until yesterday that there was a blow-up of the spoke. I must of looked right at it a hundred times on the plans and never saw it.

So....the spoke is square for a short distance at the top and then tapers into an oblong (or sort of egg) shape. And yes...each spoke is made seperately and usually by hand. they can be filed into shape...or some folks use a bench belt sander...or set up each spoke blank in a lathe...or build a duplicator. What ever way you like to do it is correct.

Note here that any hole created in the nave must be at the same angle as the 'dish' on the wheel...and that corresponds to the identical angle that is built into the axle spindle.

Here is what the wheel should look like with the 'dish'

Then, when the wheels are installed on the angled axle spindles it forces the spokes BELOW the axle the to sit at 90 degrees to the ground...and gives the wheels a 'splayed out' look at the top.

This one gives an idea of the angle that the spoke leaves the nave.

And the end result when the completed wheels are installed on the vehicle. And...the model really doesn't look that bad...the flash just seems to magnify...everything...and I DID try to lighten the photo. Photobucket said it was lighter after the edit. Apparently PB forgot............

Different wagon - different wheels - but the idea is the same.

And thus concludes this brief (and all over the place...and incomplete) description of building a buggy wheel. When I do another of this type of build I will document everything as it takes place and in order. That will be much clearer.

Cheeers - Gus

Another Buckboard
    Last edited by GusSMHDV; 11-15-12 at 10:42 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Uhhhh ... Gus ..... Methinks PB might have lost some more of your pics ....

Cheers, Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Wow, enjoyed what you have posted.....much to learn........keep'em coming Gus......
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Gus,

I think I have the same geometry set shown in the background that I got in high school. Today's kids have no idea what they are or how to use them. I use my dividers a great deal for getting measurements where the calipers will not fit on model parts.

Old school tools still work!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. GusSMHDV's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gus
    Absolutely right Ken Mine's an old K&E that I've now had for.......(oh, wow...never thought of this before) wayyyyyyyy over 40 years...and it's still complete

I do enjoy using it now and then for stuff I want to play with and 'get at right now' but I actually do have an AutoDesk/AutoCad I use for most things now (just so everyone doesn't think I'm an old 'fuddy'.......)

Another Buckboard
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    AutoDesk/AutoCad I use for most things now (just so everyone doesn't think I'm an old 'fuddy'.......)
    This old fuddy is teaching himself CorelCAD and I will be 66 in February. You are ahead of me.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Ken, don't feel bad ... I am the same age as you ... most of time I can't find my socks, but I am also trying to learn cad.

Gus, did you do those slots in the knaves on your mill?

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #31