Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 4.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-08-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I will show the build process for the Western Mountain Buckboard
      .Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1497-jpgArticle: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1498-jpgArticle: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1501_edited-1-jpg

The Western Mountain Buckboard is a historic and distinctly American vehicle and makes a splendid model. The buckboard originated in the mountainous areas of the north eastern states and the design moved west with pioneers and evolved into a pleasure and utility vehicle. The original versions were nothing more than a seat bolted to a long spring board attached to two axles. Over time, more refinements were added for pleasure and enjoyment. This model is an example of that evolution with the addition of the front spring and the rear Shuler Spring. The rear Shuler Spring combines the features of the helical coil and torsion spring enabling the vehicle to withstand the rigors of rough terrain due to its flexibility of design. This three point suspension concept was later adopted by the Model T automobile.

Article: Re: Western Buckboard build
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Good looking wagon Ken.

I have a question about the soldering stuff if I may.

You mentioned in the Model T thread that you use a plug in iron of about 120 watts I believe. Does it need to be the one with the big, heavy tip (like an old, put in the fire type) or can it be one of the newer, trigger types ?

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Tom,
    I would use the big iron, the reason being the amount of heat needed when soldering various thicknesses of stock or rod. Think of the tip as a heat sink that holds the heat and as soon as you touch metal the heat flows out to heat the metal and melt the solder and thus cools itself. As soon as you with draw it reheats. With smaller thinner Article: Re: Western Buckboard build stock you can use lower wattage irons. I purchased mine at a stained glass supply house. For solder I use Staybrite (and their flux) which has a silver content and stronger than 50/50 which I use for fill work or lower temperature joints.

The trigger types are targeted more for the electronics trade for circuit board work. However, if it works for you by all means use it.

The big iron does take getting use to but once mastered even some of the tiniest joints can be soldered with it. Practice is the key.

Jump in anytime you have questions.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Michael, Thanks I like that one!

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. wagnmkr's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks Ken, I will look around for a big iron.

Cheers,

Tom
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here I am bringing the seat spring and brackets together on a flat surface to maintain alignment. Note that the platform bracket bolts have to be inserted first due to their length before the spring is added.

Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-05sm-jpg

The balance of the cast parts were added to the platform while the seat spring assemblies glue set.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1355-jpg
    Here I am using a small laser cut square that will be supplied in the kit to true up the seat spring assemblies. Once the glue set on both the seat platform was added.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1380-jpg
    Here the seat has been added to the platform, I had to use this photo for reference.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1384small-jpg

Ken

Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1353-jpg 
    Last edited by xken; 11-14-12 at 07:29 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Ken, question? Your above photos depict what I can expect from the kit from ME.............if so, man, I will be one of the 1st to purchase this puppy. By the way, hope you do not mind, the best compliment I can pay is to say, the photo of the completed buggy is now my screen saver.
    Stage Coach and Conestoga will be delivered tomorrow from ME...........
    I also sprung f/the Wright Flyer.........too good a deal to pass up on.
    I live in NC and since Model Expo is in Hollywood, Fl....I have my orders sometimes in as little as 2 days.......now thats service.

So, Ken, is it possible to know when one might be able to purchase the kit from ME of your work of love.............

I also have learned from reading your threads...........Oh yea, I also follow the Model T as well.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Ricky, I live in Florida and have had many dealings Model Expo......good folks & great service.
    Highly recommended!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I have to agree with Don..I get all my ship stuff from ME and have never been disappointed in the least...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Ken, question? Your above photos depict what I can expect from the kit from ME.............if so, man, I will be one of the 1st to purchase this puppy.
    Rick,
    Yes this is exactly what you will get. As part of the "proof of build process" first I build the completed prototype from scratch, then duplicate the parts in a CAD .dwg file for laser cutting wood parts, gasket parts and a part file for Photo etching. While I am doing the CAD drawings the brass masters are sent off to be duplicated. All the pieces parts are then returned and I build a second wagon using the pre-production parts to make sure everything works and while assembling the second I document and write the assembly instructions. The pictures above are photos representative of those in the instructions. The gray cast parts are what will be in the kit.

All the above is completed and the last thing I am doing now on CAD is the plan layouts, which I am learning and doing at the same time. I have the 2D drawing down pat now and am drawing all the cast parts. Next will be the isometric drawings, all the plan drawings are "D" size 34" x 22". These layout plan drawings are the last step needed to release the production kit.

I am sure they would like to have them ASAP but I still have a full time job that interferes with the fun stuff.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    The foot rest added with bolts through the apron brackets. The black line on the bolt was the cut line.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1354-jpg
    This picture show the whip holder in place and a close up of the spring bar attachment.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1356-jpg
    Here the head block was attached to the upper half of the fifth wheel.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1366-jpg
    This shows the front spring being glued in place to the spring bar with the clips as well as the head block with the fifth wheel half in place.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1371-jpg
    This shows the wood axle caps being glued to the metal axles.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-17-jpg
    Here the front axle with axle clips was added to the lower half of the fifth wheel.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-18-jpg

Again this is showing the metal cast parts made from brass masters and the wood parts are laser cut parts.

Ken

Last edited by xken; 11-16-12 at 02:00 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    I just love the photos...............a build guide in it'self!
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Rick,

Glad you enjoy the photos, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. One of the reasons I used so many pictures in my Book.

This shows the front axle added to the spring assembly. The two are aligned with the flat fifth wheel surfaces indexed on the king bolt.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1375-jpg
    This shows the assembly in the proper orientation the clip brackets and nuts will be added.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1379_edited-1-jpg
    This shows the addition of the rear axle to the Schuler spring which functions both as a torsion and coil spring for use on rough mountainous terrain.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-19-jpg
    This is a close up of the the fifth wheel halves with the indexing of the reach arms. Having built the Model T I realized that this three point suspension was the precursor of the T's suspension providing the T with great off road capability. While seeming simple appearing, it is quite an impressive bit of engineering.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-20-jpg
    Here is an overall view looking at the rear axle showing the reach arms with their strengthening braces that stabilized and aligned the rear axle.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-21-jpg

This shows the addition of the apron hand rail, also can be seen the foot rail in place and the whip holder in the lower right side of the apron.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-photo-22-jpg

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    This has too be one of the most complete kits w/hardware/metal parts, I have seen..........noticed the square nuts, are they apart of the kit as well.......one of the things about the other offerings from ME, you make the square nuts attached to cut pins, but in your photos you show threaded bolts w/square nuts........please say this is what will be in the kit......and is there a source for these little fellas, I would gladly replace all I could in the kits I have if available.
    I can not wait to see ME add this to the list for sale.
    And as always, outstanding craftsmanship......................
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Rick,

Yes the round headed bolts and square nuts are provided in the kit. Here are pictures of the cast parts showing the cast bolts. The second is the photo etched sheet with the nuts.

These were made specifically for this kit, it would be up to ME to supply them as a separate item.
    Here is a picture showing the cast bolts, these bolts are 00-90 Article: Re: Western Buckboard build with the thread good enough to thread brass nuts on. The lengths vary from 3/4" down to 3/16" length.
    Some of the smaller square nuts are provided in 1/32" laser cut gasket material due to the size and thickness needed.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-cast-04-jpg

This shows the PE sheet with the square nuts and axle clip brackets and reach arms at the top. These nuts are slip on rather than threaded and intended to be glued in place for easy assembly.
    Article: Re: Western Buckboard build-dscn1441_edited-1-jpg

Ken

Last edited by xken; 11-19-12 at 06:21 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Not at all my cup of tea to build...but then again I said that not to long ago in regards to a Heller Citroen a guy named Dominique is building and now I am butt deep in that build also!

This promises to be a very well executed kit Ken. The attention to detail is outstanding!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #31