Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 03-25-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Gentlemen,
      I'll start with a little history of this build.
      I have a friend who lives about an hour away. There are basically 2 ways to get to his place, one by mostly interstate and the other by state routes. I usually opt for the Interstate just for time. On one of my trips I wasn't in a big hurry so I took the alternate route. At a little crossroads town, Homerville, Ohio, they have converted the old school to a community center. At one corner of the property is a concrete pad with an old Galion road grader sitting there.
      As I past by I thought "that would make a very neat addition to my 1" Case steam traction engine." "I'll have to come back and do some measuring."
      Well that year passed and another and every time I would go that way I would think of building a model of that machine.
      Finally in the spring of 2109 I committed to measuring and taking pictures.
      I have done this kind of thing before, measuring, sketching and gathering information and have found that when I return home and start turning all that data into CAD drawings I seem to be short about 500 dimensions. In all I made 4 trips to the grader before I actually had enough info to complete the original layouts.
      From the layouts I start the very long process of creating working drawings. Each drawing is on the standard Imperial 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. When drawing a machine as a buildable model parts need to be modified for any number of reasons, strength, screw sizes, material availability, and gear design.
      I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 hours in the complete set of drawings.
      The scale is 1/12 or 1" to the foot. It will be made mostly from brass. I will cut all the gears and in a lot of cases make the special shaped pieces, angles, channels and bars, to build this machine.
      Before I get into the model part of it I'm attaching a link to a video I took of the grader.
      gbritnell

1913? Galion horse drawn road grader
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    With these gear boxes complete the brackets were made to mount them to the frame The brackets are multi-part assemblies made from machined pieces and parts fabricated from sheet brass. The frame rails are at 1.5 degrees from the centerline so the mounting plates had to be machined to keep the brackets parallel with the center. Most of the components were riveted together on the full sized machine but due to the issues of trying to peen the opposite end of the rivet I have opted to make small bolts with a rivet head. Where they pass through the frame they will have square nuts added to secure them.
    The front brackets that the shafts pass through were machined from solid.

Attached Images Attached Images 1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2496-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2497-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2498-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2499-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    The front axle support is made from a casting 1913? Galion horse drawn road grader and pieces of channel. Being as there are no castings used on this build the parts have to be machined or fabricated to try and replicate the casting 1913? Galion horse drawn road grader . The support has a circular shape that rides on the bottom front of the frame. The circular part has a round tubular projection for a short tongue which will terminate at a gear box. Another piece which is a post also has a tube attached to it. This is for the main tongue which will go to (originally a team of horses) but later some type of machine, tractor or steam engine.

Attached Images Attached Images 1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2510-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2511-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2512-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2513-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2514-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    In the description of this machine it is referred to as a tilt wheel grader. What this means is that being as the wheels are flat steel rims with no center bead when they would move material, dirt or gravel, with the blade at an angle it would tend to push the machine sideways so to counteract the side force the wheel could be tilted to dig into the ground. Much like using the edge when skiing. The front axle assembly consists of the triangular support legs and the axle assemblies. There are the main lower angle pieces and the upper angle pieces. The trunnions that the wheels mount to are pivoted at the bottom angles and the upper angles rock back and forth to tilt the wheels. This action will be controlled with a gear box and it's linkage.

Attached Images Attached Images 1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2515-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2516-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2517-jpg  1913? Galion horse drawn road grader-img_2518-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Scratch
    Very nice work! Very clean and well photographed too!

I assume that it will eventually be painted? Too bad the prototype wasn't made of finely finished Brass! That too would be something to see!

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Gentlemen,
    The grader is finished. It was a totally different project than what I am used to building (engines, weapons etc.) Working with sheet metal is different than just machining a part to size on the lathe or mill. With a lot of the parts I would cut a piece of metal to length, bend it then see how it came out to the required dimensions. I built a small metal brake years ago and it makes pretty consistent bends.

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Scratch
    Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!

Fascinating!

Thank you for sharing!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination