Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Airbrush Newbie

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Got an airbrush Airbrush Newbie kit but no directions. Tried it out with plain water to see how it works but before I gum it up with paint, need some clues.

What is best paint to use?

Does Tamiya Airbrush Newbie Acrylic Airbrush Newbie color paint need to be deluted before putting thru the gun?

Does Modle Master enamel Airbrush Newbie need to be deluted before putting thru the gun?

Same question for lacquer Airbrush Newbie .

Took me 15 minutes to figure out there was a protective cap on the front of the gun so you can see I need help!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    What type of gun do you have and what are you using as an air pressure source?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Gee Don, Thanks for answering. I didn't catch you answer until today when I wanted to ask another question. Guess the "New Posts" and I mixed something up.

Anyway I bought on eBay the $60 PowerCat oil-less airbrush Airbrush Newbie compressor and its assocaited airbrush Airbrush Newbie . It is the siphone type.

The other question is - How long does it take Testors Contour putty Airbrush Newbie to dry? Seems like it stays tacky forever. First few times I used it I thought the colorless liquid coming out was the putty Airbrush Newbie . Finally used enough to get to the tan material but it stays tacky also. Maybe I need to push further into the tube??
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. htrdrnu's Avatar Active Member
    Hey sydeem, as for the air brush, keep the pressure about 40-45 lbs. You need to have a tank to hold the air while you work at a constant supply with out pulsing, like some of the small "airbrush only" systems. As far as the brush itself, you didn't say whether it was a single action or dual action. You should find a clean surface( an old model kit or a flat piece of styrene Airbrush Newbie plastic) and practice. Test the adjustments to see how the pattern changes and and also test the results you get by varying the pressure. Keep your distance about 10" to 12" depending on pressure. Thin your mixture about so it is about the consistancy of skim milk as you swirl it and it coats the inside of the spray bottle. Let the coats build gradually, and don't try to cover it all in 2 or 3 coats. Keep pacticing untill you are comfortable with the results
    As for a putty Airbrush Newbie , use EURO SOFT catalized skim coat putty Airbrush Newbie from an auto body supply. It uses a hardner so it can dry very quickly, or not depends on the ratio you mix, but when it is dry, it won't shrink, it's very stable and it smooths better than ANY other I have ever used , and I have used them all, including the stuff that came from AMT Airbrush Newbie in the STYLINE KITS.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I could write a book on airbrush Airbrush Newbie techniques...it takes a bit of practice to get the feel for it....I'll gather up some basics and and either post them or mail them to you.....is your brush single or double stage? Answer a few questions for me and I'll get you started...once I know what you are working with I'll be able to tell you what you need for pressure, mediums..how much to thin etc. I don't want to confuse you so we'll go slow and you can pick it up at your own speed. Testors putty Airbrush Newbie (in my opinion) sucks! That juicy clear liquid is telling you that the putty Airbrush Newbie isn't mixed....put the cap on the tube and gently knead it to try to mix it....squeeze out any remaining liquid. The tacky stuff on your model....it would be best to clean it off and start again. I really would recommend that you change to squadron Airbrush Newbie green or white or another brand of filler. I see another member has offered some good advice as well.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. htrdrnu's Avatar Active Member
    Hey sydeem, I screwed up...the actual name of the putty Airbrush Newbie is EVERCOAT GLAZING PUTTY Airbrush Newbie . The reason I recomend this over the others is that there is no solvent to dry. It is a polyester based and very stable. With the others, after making the modifications and finish sanding Airbrush Newbie the filler, it would always shrink a bit more, and even ghost in the final finish. If you have any more questions go Mark Gustavson's Custom Clinic website http://www.customstylingstudio.com/index.html and pass along your questions. He is the one that turned me on to it and I have held seminars at several IPMS Airbrush Newbie meetings showing plane, military and ship builders how well this works.l:
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    htrdrnu....good stuff, thanks.l:
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks for all the help guys. Can't believe the complexity one can put into this modeling game.

Airbrush Airbrush Newbie is dual and the regulator is set now at 15 psi.

I will start experimenting as you suggest. Just didn't want to gum everything up as I did with the Pocher before I found this site.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Well, that was a disaster. Tried the airbrush Airbrush Newbie with black acrylic Airbrush Newbie paint but nothing came out the tip. Got a little interesting when I tried to cleanup, as I didnít know how far to go in dismantling. Wound up taking the gun apart to insure I didnít leave any dried paint inside.

While originally experimenting earlier with water got a damp spot OK on the target. That was why I posed the original question. Now, with black acrylic Airbrush Newbie paint cut in half with water Ė got nothing out.

Air pump puts out 35 psi no load, drops to 15 psi when gun triggered. Feels like plenty of air coming out the gun front. Canít tell how much suction occurs when trigger in paint demand position. In that position I canít feel any suction when holding my finger at the paint jar inlet tube nor if I put my tongue to the tube. Seems like there should be enough suction to feel if it is going to draw paint up a couple of inches.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. htrdrnu's Avatar Active Member
    Hey sydeem, there is acrylic Airbrush Newbie thinner Airbrush Newbie to use when air brushing.. it has some propolene gycole in it to help the paint flo and you should thin it like I said befor, untill it barely coats the inside of the bottle. Paint, no matter which kind, won't spray properly if too thick. Again, keep practicing like you were and it is better to be too thin than too thick as you start out.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Except I may have gunked up the brush now as not even water will come out the end.

I cleaned everything I could get too, took off both caps surrounding the needle and even cleaned off the needle so I don't know where I might have plugged the gun.

By the way, I was mistaken, the pressure drops to 10 psi when paint trigger pulled.

Guess I might have bought too cheap kit.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    On a dual type airbrush Airbrush Newbie does the Finger Lever (or whatever) move the long needle?

Is that what is supposed to open the siphon mechanism?

I note with mine there is no movement of the needle when the lever is moved back. Did I screw something up when cleaning up all the parts?
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    When you apply pressure to the button you should be having air coming out of the nozzle, as you move the lever back the needle should move back as well....that rearward movement of the button controls the amount of paint allowed into the air flow coming from the nozzle...to try to simplify it...push down for air, pull back for paint.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks Don, knowing now that the needle should move I discovered removing the back handel let me get to a knurled nob I could tighten and get the needle to move with the finger lever. Adjusted needle position to seat in nozzel and move with the lever. No output yet but now I get slow bubbles in the paint container when I move finger lever. Sounds like maybe it is pumping air into the container rather than siphoning out.

Might be getting closer to the problem though.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Something is clogged or not adjusted......If you put your finger over the end of the nozzle and push down on the button air should blow through out through the siphon tube and bubble in your liquid, removing your finger it should blow out the nozzle....you don't have the needle adjusted too far do you?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15