Close

1. modelhead's Avatar Active Member
    alright.I am used to bending small diameter brass tubing useing the little springy pipe bender that you slide the pipe into and bend.However in the larger scale I do not have those.What is the best and most effective or effeciant way to bend larger brass tubes??I had thought maybe getting some sand bending brass tube and trying that, but no good clue on how to keep the sand bending brass tube in the open tube while bending and leaving enough room for it to flex other then just tape.Right now I have a scale 1 1/2" dropped front tube axle with a slight curve from one side to the other.I would like to make this diamete slightly bigger and go with a more dramatic drop with double bends on both ends.Please help.Thank you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Might try a tubing bender...auto parts store. If it tends to kink,put a piece of heavy gauge wire inside the tubing to keep it from collasping.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    Salt or fine sifted sand bending brass tube the same consistency as salt. We used a lead melting pot to plug the ends of tubing after it was filled then bend it using benders or form it around round aluminum plates (plugs) cut from thicker stock. Craftstores might also have real small corks to jam into the tubing to plug it also.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. modelhead's Avatar Active Member
    after purchasing a really nice torch with flame and air adjustments, tips for soldering and hot bending brass tube air tube for bending, tried to bend a tube.Bent nice with the heat applied.Also works good on the 1/4" channel.This worked out well for bending my rear crossmember where the spring will be mounted!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4