Close

1. This weekend Starbird's 52nd Show in Wichita!! Thats 52 years gang!!! This ones a biggie! First the unveiling of the reserected restored Lil'Coffin! See peek below, Darryl outdid himself bringing one of the greatest rods of all time back to life! In the orig Monogram configureation.This car was changed so many times plus almost was destroyed in a fire no one thought it could be brought back from the dead! And if that aint enough Fritz Schenck's (Spritz by Fritz) amazing clone of Ed Roth's Outlaw! You my know Fritz from his killer bubble top The Roswell Rod. But did you know Fritz was the painter for the Late Indian Larrys Biker Build off bikes. Plus just finished restoring Roth's Druid Princess. And there is a tribute to "The coolest man on earth" Elden Titus. As most of you know E passed in Oct.08 and was a good friend to me and the rest of my pals in the Slammers. His cars will be there plus we might find out who will finish his last creation the Vibrosonic. Stay tuned on that. Anyway I will be there all weekend doing play by play and taking pics. that will be posted on the KC Slammers website! So here's a sneek peek of the freshly restored Coffin Enjoy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-starbirdwalmart001-jpg 
    It's a fine line between stupid and cleaver....
    David St. Hubbins "Spinal Tap"
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. In my haste I spelled Starbird wrong!! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh man, please Rich, can you get lots of detail shots of the Lil Coffin all the way around? That's one of the things I wanted to scratchbuild. I can still use a deuce body and alter it enough to get the right shape. Thanks in advance.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. HFC. I talked to Darryls grandson and they based the entire resto. off of the 1/24 kit!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh wow!!! I've got the kit so I can get decent measurements. It looks exactly like it did back at the NY Worlds Fair in 64. You know what kinds of pics to get so I won't drive you nuts. I'll just say thanks for anything you can throw at us. I may even use this for the Scratchbuilder's fantasy.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Got back from the show last night at about 12 am. Great time!!!! Car count was down from last year but, the cars there were a knock out! Mood at the show was bittersweet because this was the first show in many years without Elden. But there was a killer display put on by Darryl and Gary Mayers with The Voodoo Spyder, Vampyre, Gary's Rad 59 Elamino And one of E's 55 Buicks.Tammy Titus (E's Wife) was there and is doing fine and wants to send her thanks for all the support every one in the model car world has given her. Fritz's Outlaw clone looks like a million bucks under the lights! It is up for the high five award. Fritz will have the Outlaw at the WOW Chicago next week then will be doing KC. Starbird's Tulsa show then the Detroit Autoramma. So if you get a chance to go to any of the shows go say hi to him! But the hit of the show was the Coffin!! Took Darryl 2 years to bring it back and it was worth the wait! The dark Candy Apple red paint on the car is nothing short of amazing and was sprayed by Darryl him self. Says it will run and after his shows he will fire it up and will be driving it at the Leadslead this summer! Pics of the entire show should be up some time today at Home & Information here's a few teasers for you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-coffin-jpg  Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-coffin1-jpg  Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-coffin3-jpg  Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-outlaw1-jpg  Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-outlaw-jpg  Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show-outlaw2-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gorgeous
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Hey Rich...why don't you get one of Dan's tub's and build the coffin car?
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    No way!! I'm going to build it. I think I just wet myself. Instead of making an entire scratchbuilt Coffin, I'm going to enter different assemblies. I'm going to use a deuce kit for the basics like the frame, the body and fenders but I'm going to scratchbuild as much else as possible. The Coffin looks fantastic. The outlaw is incredible. It brought back so many memories of the 60's and my first experience with model hot Starbird's 52nd Witchita Show rods. Rich, I think you've given me the final push out of the stable and back into the workshop. Kowabunga!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Great news Jeff. Can't wait to see you get back to those great tutorials. By the way, don't forget you've got a couple to finish...........
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. The Outlaw clone is unreal! It is one of the handfull of bodys Jimmy C. and Moldy Marvin made off of the orig. buck from the real Outlaw. Took Fritz years to find all the exact parts to build it. Everything is true to the real one!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I think I just wet myself.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Alot of folks are saying Fritz's clone is nicer than the real one!! And buy the way it is for sale! It may be going to a new home after Detriot. With a little wireing it will run! Fritz fired the Caddy mill before he painted and chromed everything. But did not do all the wireing because there is so much chrome on it and we all know what happens then! But all brakes trans,etc. are ready to go. So with a little work......
    QUOTE QUOTE #13