Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Answer received from the local library that this book cannot be found in any of European libraries. They said that it might be possible to find from some library in USA, but because the book is so expensive, they hardly loan it overseas. So the case was stopped.
    QUOTE QUOTE #16

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Checking on my side of the Atlantic too. Not yet heard back from my query. If I can get it I’ll see if I can scan pertinent items.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    You might try contacting:

info@scaefferlong.com

They are reputed to be restorers with a special insight into Mercers
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkGTZ View Post
    Checking on my side of the Atlantic too. Not yet heard back from my query. If I can get it I’ll see if I can scan pertinent items.
    I've gotten no word on my request here in the states. It says request sent. Since I am going through my university's library it may be in part because some schools are not in session until next week although libraries usually stay open through most of the holiday break with reduced hours for those doing research. I'll update when I hear more.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

5. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    You might try contacting:

info@scaefferlong.com

They are reputed to be restorers with a special insight into Mercers
    Thanks, I try to contact them. Thumbs up!
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

6. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Sorry, I was trying to contact them by email, but there was an error, this email address couldn't be found. Could it be a misspelling or something like that?
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Sorry! that should have an "h" in it.

www.schaefferlong.com

info@schafferlong.com
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-17-21 at 02:12 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

8. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Thanks, I try again.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Good news! The book came through Inter Library Loan and I picked it up yesterday. I was expecting it to be a giant coffee table book for the asking price to buy it, but it's really not that big or that thick (about 200 pages), which brings me to the not so good news. There is little in the way of blueprints or detailed technical drawings. It has lots of pictures and some nice tables with specification information, and though I haven't gotten deep into it, the narrative of the history looks to be interesting. There is a pretty expensive bibliography which might point you to more information. Even Jay Leno's car is in the book, which brings me to something that has already been suggested, and that is once we get beyond all this, a visit to a museum with your camera and tape measure might help get you details not found in the book.

I could send you some scans of the tables and bibliography via PM if you'd like.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

10. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Thank you JunkGTZ for your trouble! Yes, I would very much like to receive some scans of the book. You might send them by PM or into my email address whatever is more convenient for you. My address is: matti.piilola@gmail.com

By the way, in which museum I could find Jay Leno's car?
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

11. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by Matias View Post
    Thank you JunkGTZ for your trouble! Yes, I would very much like to receive some scans of the book. You might send them by PM or into my email address whatever is more convenient for you. My address is: matti.piilola@gmail.com

By the way, in which museum I could find Jay Leno's car?
    It's in his personal museum in Los Angeles. They have a full restoration shop there and it wouldn't be a surprise if they have lots of photos of any restoration they might have done on his car, though I am guessing his was already in good shape when he purchased it.

Here is a video of it. He really doesn't give much backstory on how he acquired the car or what he's done to it, but perhaps you might find out by emailing him.

I'll scan some of the tables this weekend and email them to you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26