Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bugatti T35B

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    That was my reason for asking.

I’ve emailed a few queries to Bugatti Page, and the Bugatti Trust, but too soon to expect an answer.

I poured through the online catalog of Crosthwaite & Gardiner, but they don’t list rivets.

I don’t know of any “Bugs” close by that might allow me a up close look, so I have to interpret
    the images available to me, and scour my library.

I remember the color call out in some modeling magazine or kit?

And in one of my books, I’m pretty certain that those panels are described as being assembled with revits
    QUOTE QUOTE #46

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Still looking for sited reference.

And looking deeper discovered that Copper Aluminium alloys are very strong and highly corrosion resistant.

Perhaps embraced by Bugatti as exotic, decorative and useful? - the man like his contemporary Voisin seemed to enjoy the unconventional.
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Well?

All the books say Copper and Aluminium is to be avoided though if no electrolytes are present then it “might” be ok?

Bugatti page confirms Copper not Bronze.

Probably not an issue for modelers, I was just wondering.
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

4. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Electrolytes includes water, unless you can demineralise, deionise and debacterialise it
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Yes your right, I know of these issues, but none the less? - I’m told that these rivets are Copper, and in all the photos they do look like Copper.

So? Why aren’t they corroding and falling out?

On a forum about just the issue of aluminum interactions with other metals it was suggested that Tin plating could provide a suitable barrier,
    and over the years of cleaning and wiping down, have been polished off exposing the Copper surface on the only exposed area?

I am more convinced that Ettore chose Copper because of its not being the conventional!

?
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-03-20 at 03:28 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I didn’t know about the effect of bacteria, but that doesn’t surprise me. Life is conductive
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

7. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    My memory came from high voltage work. We had to cool a 60kV transmitter and used water, de-everythinged as above, with the addition of a 5 micron filter. Water quality was tested with a mho meter. Surprisingly it worked, but de oxygenating it gave rise to another problem - anaerobic bacteria...
    QUOTE QUOTE #52

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    The microscopic world is everywhere and yet goes unnoticed, for the most part.

Consulting the Galvanic Compatibility Chart, and applying either a Nickel or a Tin plating to the Copper should be enough to prevent corrosion. -a good tight, dry fit and maybe something to seal the surface and “Bobs your Uncle!”
    QUOTE QUOTE #53

9. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Bugatti would have assumed that the car was kept in a heated garage, so corrosion should not become a problem.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #54

10. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Having come across this thread recently, there is a fairly newish book about the Bugatti 35B. It is by a UK publisher named Pen and Sword Books. Most of the book covers the real thing and towards the end there is a section about some of the model kits of this car.
    QUOTE QUOTE #55

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Bugatti Fan, Yes I have seen that book, thank you! I think the Haynes book is hard to better, but I have to admit to having both.

I was hoping you could give the definitive answer regarding the Mystery of the Copper Rivets?

Why rivets and why Copper?
    QUOTE QUOTE #56

12. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    My copy of the book arrived today, and the first thing I looked for was the dash panel rivets. Here's a plausible Bugatti clue - they look like harness rivets. Copper rivets with a very thin, shallow angle countersunk type head to present a flush surface to the horse. They come with a copper washer which allows joining two layers of leather, the new made head retains the washer. I suppose the washer would be unnecessary for joining metal, but the big shallow head would be good for holding sheet metal. You can buy the real things at a feed store, I used them to mount some motorcycle bags.
    Last edited by Nortley; 02-10-20 at 09:01 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #57

13. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Another picture - page 86, that's a pair of harness rivets attaching the hood strap to the fitting. Horse side away from view.
    QUOTE QUOTE #58

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    They are Copper.

I very good source sent me some close up pictures of a dashboard and also showing some of the inner structure between the dashboard and the firewall.

Visible were washers on the back side of the rivets, and at some point a few Copper rivets had been replaced with what looks like Aluminum?

Bugatti T35B-bugatti-type-35-23668-jpg
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 03-30-20 at 01:08 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #59

15. Pocherboy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Edward
    Not sure if you still need some reference materials, as this thread is from two years ago, but I have a T35B chassis from Fontenelle that I acquired from Gary Kohs of Fine Art Models before he passed away.

I just cant figure out how to attach photos to this postBugatti T35B-securedownload-jpg Bugatti T35B-img_2128-jpgBugatti T35B-fullsizerender-5-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #60