Close

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
  1. YHOR's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jorge
    Por otro lado, el Sr. Peré Tarrago, que se dedica principalmente a construir motocicletas a escala (con un nivel de detalle impresionante), tiene un amigo, el Sr. Jordi Reixach Rodríguez, que también vive en Barcelona. Tienen que ver su trabajo.

https://www.facebook.com/jordi.reixachrodriguez

construye sus modelos a pedido, generalmente a escala 1/6, pero vi modelos de Bus que creo que son escala 1/10. Es muy detallado, es una escala grande. Puede hacer que los asientos se reclinen, pero con el sistema original, las puertas se abren de su manija o pestillo, asientos de cuero, relojes muy similares y un sinfín de cosas que dejan la boca abierta. Por supuesto, cuando me guían por sus fotos, veo que no funciona mucho con respecto a los motores, leí que esto se debía a la solicitud de sus clientes.
    QUOTE QUOTE #256

2. YHOR's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jorge
    And recently I came across an English sculptor who is also dedicated to modeling cars and race bikes. His name is Glen English:

https://www.facebook.com/Glen-English-Racing-models-sculptures-138067532926124/

http://www.glenenglishmodels.co.uk/ajs_7r.htmlIt

has some motorcycles that are WOW, I have seen an AJS 7R, an Mv Agusta 500, a Matchless and a Norton Manx. All at 1/4 scale, but he is a true genius.Very difficult to contact through Facebook or mail. I've been writing to him because I saw on his website that he had a Norton Manx engine for sale in the form of a kit, I intend to buy it, but he does not answer me.

Sorry that I can not upload photos, I would like to, but in the forums that I participated, I only used IMAGEBAM, I do not know if I can use that host in this forum.

Last edited by YHOR; 01-11-19 at 06:50 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #257

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Jorge,

I absolutely agree with you 100% regarding Sr. Pere Tarrago, and I did know of Mr. English and his family of craftsmen. But, I had not gone far enough. So, thank you! for giving me the nudge to look again, and because of that I found this great video!

As an aside, I must mention Adam Savage, who is doing the interviewing, and himself is a professional model maker, following the same path that I had taken, getting into the film industry late, toy prototypes, display models, . . .

I recommend looking into Adam Savages videos!

Now for something that I think we will all like. - an interview of a modeler, in his work shed, conducted by a modeler!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-12-19 at 02:43 AM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #258

4. YHOR's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jorge
    Dear Don.Do you have contact with Mr. English ?.I've been trying for months to get in touch with him to see if he still has the Norton Manx Engine Kit in stock. I would like to have a copy.Obviously I would like a complete model, but for now it's beyond my budget.

On the other hand, I did not know that Adam Savage was a modeler or a builder; as a child he always watched his MythBusters programs
    QUOTE QUOTE #259

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hola Jorge,

No, I have not tried to contact him, but I believe you could try his email, it is listed in his contacts.

www.glenenglishmodels.co.uk/models.html

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-glen-alfa-jpg

He may not be responding to facebook
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-14-19 at 04:21 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #260

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Forever searching for articles regarding early scratch-builds, I found a third article about Don Oreck in the 1966 January issue of CAR LIFE.

This is the same model as before, and indeed a relatively recent picture of it can be found in our forums galleries. (Of it's current faded state)(The model is the property of the Peterson Museum)

In this article, it is stated that the model is 1/8th scale, completely scratch-built. That the chassis is made of Brass. The body is fiber-glass at the nose and tail, just as was the original. That he worked from his own drawings, but was also able to obtain a set of blueprints for the Meyer-Drake Offenhauser engine. A Halibrand wheel was machined out of Plexiglass, plaster molds were made and wax was poured into those, the wax patterns were sent to be cast, lost wax casting PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS , in Aluminum.

Patterns and molds were made of the engine components and cast in Devcon Plastic Aluminum. Sponsor decals are color photographs, printed to scale, and applied after having the paper backing scraped away. -in finishing the model many layers of clear were applied and carefully block sanded to "level out" these "decals" -Mr. Oreck also learned how to silk-screen, so he could reproduce the large number shield on the nose of the racer.

Upholstery is actual leather, made thin, and with a foam rubber backing.

Instrument faces are photographs of the actual dials, printed to scale.

Various parts are Chrome plated PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS , Cad. plated PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS , polished, bead blasted, anodized, . . .

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-img_6756-2-jpg

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-img_6758-2-jpg

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-img_6759-3-jpg

And it took three years to complete.

These following pictures I found here in our forum's archive. Show the model in it's current faded state.

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-the_museum_008-jpg

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-the_museum_011-jpg

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-offy-jpg

(not too bad for 53 years)
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 03-29-19 at 03:18 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #261

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Not as advertised, this article left a lot to be desired. -it was from 1956, and here in the states, model making, automotive model making was not yet seen as deserving adult attention. Model rail-roads, especially live steam was enjoying its best years, model airplanes were going strong and would continue to do so with the advent of radio control. (Both fields survive to today, 2019, but in reduced attendance.) Model cars had their best days in the sixties and into the seventies, but by mid 1980s a decline in model making was being seen across the nation, and in the nineties model manufacturers were either merging or disappearing. Hobby shops, Model shops, were in distress as well.

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-img_6808-2-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #262

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, recently you wrote:

"Roger with the vast desert outback of Swizterland, or Dan and Thierry with that rugged coastline of central France? Markus and Austria's tundra? -or Jo and
    some part of your local alpine vistas?"

It seems that this message was not published in the forum; anyway, I don't understand what you were asking.
    QUOTE QUOTE #263

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

I thought I had deleted that message. I was trying to post a video by Mr. Wingrove where he appears to be in scale with his models, and then approaches the camera, appearing to grow into a giant. (It was April First, 1999.)

On his workshop, its a video called, "But does it work?"

Anyway, I was suggesting that you and the other gentlemen could do like-wise. Make a video with yourselves strategically placed in the background, in focus, and once that image is established, move in toward the camera. -its surprisingly effective!

My jumble of backdrops versus actual locale was an attempt at humor. -I missed "April Fools Day".

But I was not able to upload Mr. Wingrove video, so I canceled the whole thing. or so I thought!

-Don

www.wworkshop.net

Post Script-

Click on the link and this will get you to Mr. Wingrove's home page, stay there and brouse, but my intent was that you would definitely watch his little video- "Does It Work?" -it really is a nice bit of miniature cinema! -plus you get to hear Mr. Wingrove explain a little about the models, -in his workshop, -pre retirement to Spain.

"But Does It Work?"
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-14-19 at 05:09 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #264

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    OK, I understand! Once you write the post, the people are getting a notification by email, with the intended text. If you are deleting the post, the emails cannot be deleted!
    As Christine and me are not very good with videos, forget it!
    QUOTE QUOTE #265

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I am not anxious to upload all that I have for Mr. Wingrove, -it is quite a bit, but I came across this picture of Gerald Wingrove standing aside his personal collection. A display of his work.

I've borrowed this picture fron AutoMobilia, but they too, have borrowed it from another source.

I like this picture, and it is a nice way to remember a man I wish I had had the chance to befriend. He did inspire me and many!

PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS-wingrovecollectiongeraldwingrove_orig-jpg

Rest in Peace.
    QUOTE QUOTE #266

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for the picture, Don.
    QUOTE QUOTE #267

13. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    What a fine bunch of craftsmen listed here and what work they did . I knew of a few of them but ..Now I understand !! I once asked Gerald how he got to know all his technics and he responded : Same way you did !! Hahaha. I simply wasnt aware of these old Boys and what models they build. Nice thread. Thanks a lot for this one :)
    I was told to read it a year ago but first now I read it .. Im in heaven
    QUOTE QUOTE #268