Close

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast
  1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Among the "Past Masters" and "Pioneers" were several subjects that each man made models of: the Ferrari 250 GT/GTO, the 4.5 Litre Bentleys, the Jaguar D-Type, the Mercedes Benz 300SL/SLR, and of course Bugattis! Lots of Bugattis!

The type 59 seems to be a popular choice. Modeled by Harold Pratley, Henri Baigent, Rex Hays 1/20th scale, Gerald Wingrove 1/15th , Francisco Pulido 1/10th, and of course Manuel Olive Sans 1/20th .

It is an attractive car, and the wheels offer a challenge all their own.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-10-18 at 11:22 AM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #181

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

Manuel Olive Sans
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-10-18 at 01:33 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #182

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Fumio Sakai, is another modeler for who I only have the barest thread to offer. Pretty much just this two page spread from MODEL GRAFIX, a beautiful magazine from Japan, with very high production standards.

The model shows how he creates his body shells. Copper for all the high contour panels, and then brass, pretty much for all the structural and detailed areas. . -another example of his work, a Porsche 356, can be seen on Marshall Bucks, CMA site.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-07-18 at 10:31 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #183

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I'm wondering if the hood was made with one piece of copper, as well as the rear panel...
    QUOTE QUOTE #184

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Roger,

I'll inspect the pictures a little closer. They could have been one piece. Minus the head rest / tail fin.

Check out the CMA website, under scratchbuilts and you'll see the unfinished Porsche 356, also by Mr. Sakai, that could be one piece of copper?

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #185

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sorry Don, what's CMA?
    QUOTE QUOTE #186

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Roger!

I was suggesting, www.cmamodels.com

its the website for a company (one man company?) that will make small series runs of custom made models, accepts commissions of models, represents model makers, and brokers the sale of collectible models.

On his/they're site , under the window for scratchbuilts, you can see the works of several of the men I've listed as past masters. Indeed Mr. Buck, the creator of this site, has had direct contact with all these men, and pens articles for them. The two I posted about Sr. San's, Aston-Martin, and his "Birdcage" Maserati, were both written by Mr. Buck. -and just last night I discovered a page on HIM,(Mr. Buck), in FORZA magazine.

I was suggesting that if you wanted to see another example of Mr. Sakai's work? There is a picture or two of an unfinished Porsche 356 Speedster on that site.

I did look closer at the pictures that I have and it does look as though Mr. Sakai does make joins at the crest of the fenders in the rear panel of the Jaguar, and maybe some "pie-slice" cuts in the wheel arch of the "nose" of the same model? Because of the return / roll-over of the front end, I doubt if he could use a single piece, unless he were to have started off with a very thick sheet of copper? Easier and better to make it in a few, rather than force the metal around like that?

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #187

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I do not think they're would be any advantage to making a body buck of many small sections, in the scales that we are working in?, but I thought someone might find this interesting? -for most modelers this would probably be made of three or maybe five blocks of hard wood?

QUOTE QUOTE #188

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    On the Porsche, there are joints at the top of front fenders. Working with copper or brass is easy but, after a while, the metal is getting hard. By annealing it, it get soft again; however, I noticed that after a while, the magic is no more working. Too many curves are in my opinion not quite realistic with just one sheet of metal. My experience with that is limited as my previous models were done with polyester.
    QUOTE QUOTE #189

10. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Noel
    Hi Don't
    In one of your latest threads where Type 59 Bugatti model builders are mentioned, you named Francisco Pulido's model followed by 1/18 scale with a question mark as I guess that you might not have been sure. His models are in 1/10 scale. The only two that I know of are his Type59 and his Blower Bentley. I don't know what he has completed since or what he is currently working on.
    QUOTE QUOTE #190

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Noel

I wasn't sure? I thought that his first "scratch-built" was to expand on a 1/18th diecast, but the images of him holding his model do suggest a larger scale. I might not be remembering the whole of some dialog correctly, where he went into scratch-building because of disappointment with a 1/18th model?

Posted on Mr. Wingrove's site in his modelers galleries under Francisco Pulido, you'll find an excellent Type 57 chassis, but it has been several years past and I know from Sr. Pulido's own site, that he did get sidetracked with a Volkswagen Beetle restoration!

-I have tried to contact him with no success yet. -Do you have a new address for him?

On the same but different subject- Bugatti models. I have two of the four, (I think) installments of Phil Jensen's Bugatti from Scratch, articles. But there is nothing in them to improve on yours! They are very basic. (my opinion)

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-10-18 at 11:33 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #191

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Another installment of Manuel Olive Sans's

QUOTE QUOTE #192

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    The above model by Manuel Olive Sans was made for the FIAT Museum, and so it ties in with this short visit to the FIAT MODEL MUSEUM.

QUOTE QUOTE #193

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

Perhaps we should have a contest? "What is she really thinking about?"
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-18-18 at 06:50 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #194

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Alistair Brookman was a very active professional model maker from the early 1980s through the '90s, but seems to have retired from modeling at the turn of the century?

Too bad! -for his models are really superb! (I apologize for the poor quality of images that I have to share! -some of them are third generation, photo of a photo, of a magazine photographed back before digital. Sorry!)

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-18-18 at 10:18 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #195