Close

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
  1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-20-18 at 05:53 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #166

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    QUOTE QUOTE #167

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

QUOTE QUOTE #168

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    QUOTE QUOTE #169

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

The preceeding posted photographs were found in the Vintage Sports Car, article and photos by E.L. Roy, and the Classic Auto Restorer, article and photos by Dean Batchelor, and of course in the Automobile Quarterly, article by Bruce Feldman

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-18-18 at 09:07 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #170

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Well? That is about it! From here on I will update any of the threads with new found information, new articles surfacing, or auction results.

A few modelers that I would like to include, Alistair Brookman of Austrailia, Fumio Sakae of Japan, Lou Chenot of Carl Junction, MO. USA, maybe Don Edmunds, (another American)! also Martin Heukeshoven, a true model/artist! and a few others; are all alive and well! and might not like being considered a "Past Master" (I am going to try contacting them) -we'll see.

Check out, www.martin-heukeshoven.de

Martin Otto Lambert Heukeshoven
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-11-18 at 02:51 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #171

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Amazing models! Thanks for your search and showing them.
    QUOTE QUOTE #172

8. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Noel
    I had not heard of Ed Roy or indeed any of the other talented artisans you mentioned with the exception of Louis Chenot. His large scale Duesenberg SJ is an incredible fully engineered model with an engine that actually can run. Amazing skill! I believe that his Dusie may be on display in the International Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad, California. Don, thanks for sharing yet more information about even more incredible model makers.
    You mentioned the Olive Sans Foundation website. I have visited it on and off over the last few years and it appears to be just the same each time. I get the impression that the foundation wants to keep his name alive, but I guess that the trustees may not be model makers themselves and it has been allowed to drift a bit. Perhaps if they got someone like Francisco Pulido on board, who cleaned up a number of Olive Sans' models for them, as he is a young man who may be able to help them develop their site a bit.
    A question for Roger Zimmerman. I believe that you live in Switzerland. A number of International Plastic Modellers Society members who belong to IPMS PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS Switzerland regularly travel over to the IPMS PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS UK Scale Modelworld show in the UK each November. Have you ever been to it? The two day event is the largest scale model show in the world.
    QUOTE QUOTE #173

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugatti Fan View Post
    A question for Roger Zimmerman. I believe that you live in Switzerland. A number of International Plastic Modellers Society members who belong to IPMS PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS Switzerland regularly travel over to the IPMS PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS UK Scale Modelworld show in the UK each November. Have you ever been to it? The two day event is the largest scale model show in the world.
    You are right Noel, I'm living in Switzerland. About 10 years ago, I went to a modeler group; as my interest were totally different that the one from the other people, I did not continue to visit them. I ignore if some people were members from that IPMS PAST MASTERS and PIONEERS ; I'm not even aware of the existence of that society.
    QUOTE QUOTE #174

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    . . . Well this is where I prove how passionate I am about models!

My day job can keep a guy busy for long stretches of time, 12-14 hour days non-stop for a few weeks, or a few months, and then nothing to do for a while!

This happened to me back in 2011, August 2011 to be specific. August 28th! to nail it! -So?- I remembered this advertised event, happening up state where I could see this marvelous model of a 1/6th scale working Duesenberg, and meet its creator. -And?- I thought I'd pop up there in my little pick-up truck.
    (I've done this kind of drive in the past a few times.)

This engine weighs eleven pounds! -and it is accurate in all functions! The vertical louvers on the radiator shell open and close to a thermostat!

This last picture is obviously of an interim stage of building, and I chose to include it to give encouragement to those who are trying to hammer out a fender. -the first steps are not promising, but perseverance pays off!

Below is the center spread from, The Model Engine Builder.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-13-18 at 03:04 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #175

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Seven hours later, I arrive at the hall, and I do indeed meet Mr. Chenot and his very kind, patient and pretty wife, June.

Though I had left early in the morning, I did not arrive until after lunch, and I missed the last running of his Duesenberg! -not to be repeated as it was becoming obvious to him that the wear on his masterpiece was progressing faster than expected. -AND?- And though Mr. Chenot IS a gentleman, and very generous with advise and simple decent encouragements, I did not get to talk with him. It came about that he had over worked himself, and had lost his voice!

He appreciated my travels, and shared his notebooks with me, though it was through his wife, June, that I did most,(all), of my communicating!

I do not regret the effort at all! -it was truly a pleasure to meet them and to see his magnificent model!

The model is in the physical component of the craftsmanship museum, (brick and mortar), and online of course! I have visited both!

www.CraftsmanshipMuseum.com/Chenot.htm

Please check out the above link, and while your there? definitely click on the videos of this model engine under power! -I could not add to what they have already created, at The Craftsmanship Museum!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-13-18 at 03:03 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #176

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Some more names to add to my list are, David Hayward, and Dr. Hubert Hadethauer, (both worked in wood+), Marc Antonietti, also of Antonietti-Bossat, the American Don Emmons, not to be confused with the other American, Don Edmunds, Bob Hine, and Jim Ison, who also authored a few modeling articles, and produced some very useful scale drawings, and from our forum, I've learned of Leroy W. Cook! - a very fine modeler of open wheel racers. -(thank you!)

-and I'm thinking of a new line of outstanding but active modelers, or semi-active, maybe retired?

-again, in no particular order: Duncan McLaren, Alistair Brookman, Sean McKenna, Laurent Pierson, Fumio Sakai, Francisco Pulido, Dr. Misko Jelesijevic, Patrice de Conto, Phil Jensen, Janos Rakoczi, Tom Kirn, and Pierre Scerri. All of these men create almost exclusively models cars, if your interested in motorcycles, look into Pere Tarrago, of Spain.

http://www.motoscalatarrago.com/[U]

[/U]
    -I am hesitant to include some of the model making factories? Pocher used to offer their models assembled, and Marc Antonietti had a business making Bugattis, which was sold, sort-of, to Sean McKenna? -and a few others, SAPOR Modelltechnik makes some beautiful 1/8th scale models, Martin Schroeder, assembled a team of modelers to create absolutely breathtaking 1937 Type C Auto Unions, and the relatively new, (a few years?) AMALGAM who are THE "state of the art" bespoke and short run custom model house! And MINI-DELTA, who are reorganized now for the third time with a new interest in large scale models, 1/12th, 1/10th, 1/8th, and 1/6th! - a long way from their 1/43rd roots!(these latest efforts are the result of the influence of Patrice de Conto). And, Laurent Pierson's PSM studio! (of course!) as well as ACORN Precision Reproductions! . . . -and are FULGAREX, models -or- toys?

Everybody please feel free to add to my list.

-Don

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 07-18-18 at 01:59 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #177

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Revisiting Manuel Olive Sans, I found an article from 1965, that brought to my attention a few interesting points.

On the cover of this issue, a mistake of scale, this is not the 1/12th scale model of 1980, but a 1/20th "curbside" model of 1965. This build was used by Sr. Sans to illustrate some modeling ideas in the latest installment of his series of magazine articles on "Advanced Techniques". In addition to admitting that some projects did not warrant his usual thoroughness, he also discloses that the body of this model is made of Tin-plate. -not earth shattering news, except I had assumed he did not use tin-plate, and he also made use of Photo-engraving to help create the hub-cap badges! -That's photo-etching in 1965! And also not mentioned, (since it hadn't happened yet) is the fact that he would/will return to this subject matter, with a more typical treatment, in 1980.

Re-stating the Tin-plate body, it would be interesting to know when he made the switch to brass and copper? -And, also to ask Mr. Buck, and Sr. Pulido, if either had ever put a magnet up to any of these models?
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-07-18 at 09:04 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #178

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    As I stated above, Sr. Sans had a series of magazine articles in ROD & CUSTOM magazine. "ADVANCED MODELING TIPS"
    Five that I know of. -

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-01-18 at 02:56 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #179

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

These articles are from Nov. 1964, Feb. 1965, March 1965, April 1965, and June 1965, so there may be articles that I have missed.
    QUOTE QUOTE #180