Close

Thread: Paints.

1. 5thwheel's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    William
    I have been making fine horse drawn carriages in 1/12th scale. for years I have used lacquer Paints. for its workability and less build up. Lacquer Paints. is out her in Oregon. Although I have been able to get some from Industrial finishes it is very expensive, around $85 a pint. I am not happy with the enamels. What kind of paint to most of you use on your cars?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi William,

I think the enamels won't make you happy and are not really fitting for a horse drawn carriage as well. Depending on the material you use, there are some acrylics Paints. on the market. Are you using an airbrush Paints. or paint it with a brush by hand?? Have heard about some good things with Vallejo and Zero paints, but never tried them, cause I am doing cars with high-gloss finish at 1/8.
    For the horse drawn section, I think that xken can and will reach you a helping hand for this question.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    For the past 35 years, I have been using automotive lacquer Paints. on all of my models. That includes props, prototypes, models etc.
    For my model cars:
    I bought double seal scientific (lab) jars, then got tinters from an automotive paint supply. The 250 ml jars cost a few dollars to fill.
    Only need the three primary colors, white and black. You can make any color from that. I have sprayed three 1/4 scale cars from that lot. Some of the paints are at least 6 years old. The other important thing is flattening agent, because everything is not gloss.
    Then buy a big can of thinners....... not general purpose...not generic...the right one for the paint.

All the mechanical, metallic Paints. , and polished stuff is done with Humbrol or similar enamels. All sprayed, except for the tiny things.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3