Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    The more I work with it the more I like it. The more I like it the less any other material matters. I am still not good enough to try a lot of things in brass, not to mention that I don't have the proper tools (yet). For many years I have wanted to build something totally from scratch and then I started playing with brass and started losing sleep over the idea. Ken Foran I am not, but I do own his book...go get a copy it is awesome!

A while back I stumbled across a set of blueprints for one of my favorite cars, the Super 7. I downloaded the blueprints and started collecting reference photos. I decided to start building an engine block for lack of anything better to do and then went and bought a bunch of .25 square brass tube. Next thing I know, there is almost a complete chassis in 1:4 scale on my bench. I must have been in a brass-out because I don't remember a thing...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

This will not be a completely brass build, perhaps someday but not today.

Hello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-1-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-2-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-3-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-4-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-5-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-6-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-7-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-chassis-8-jpg

I should have put something in for scale but that thought didn't cross my mind in time. The chassis alone is 10.5 inches wide and 29.625 inches long. I still have to finish the rear portion but I have to do that life thing for a bit so it will have to wait a while.

The proposed drivetrain will be comprised of a few top notch items...if all goes well.

Hello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-01-dscf6006-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-img_0801-jpgHello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-untitled-png
    Last edited by spinellid82; 09-04-13 at 09:19 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David, It looks like you are getting the new skills under control. Remember way back when I told you that brass can be addictive. Like any other skill it takes practice doing it; to perfect it. If you have any questions just let me know.

I look forward to seeing more as you progress down the brassy road.

Keep up the great work!

Semper Fi!

Ken
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Can be addictive my brass Ken...Thanks for the kind words though. Just got off the phone with Albina Pipe Bending, they want $240 to bend me 6 90 degree angles in 3/16 round brass tube. Just before that phone call I talked to Bridgette at my LHS Hello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic. , $2.39 a stick for 3/16 brass rod. Gonna try the rod and a torch before the professional trip!

Hello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David, get yourself a propane torch, heat the area where you want the bend to a cherry red and then quench in water. Clamp in a vise and bend using a hardwood block and hammer. For a real tight bend use the hammer directly against the rod. If you distort the roundness with the hammer file and add solder to reshape. Just like the old lead slinger days. Once you bend the rod you have really work hardened it; so don't try to bend back or it will break. Re-anneal if necessary to adjust if you over bend.

Try a Home Depot or Lowe's for the brass rod; it is a recycled material alloy; good for bending not for machining.

I hope this helps.

Ken
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    Another 1/4 scale build. It's the only scale I work in now. Your model will command attention in a room.

I'm surprised that there is still so much mystery about bending tubing and rod. By now there should be
    a universal guide (on most forums) for bending and working small diameter material.

Which components are you using the 90 deg angles for and what radius do you require?
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I am using the round tube for the lower rear corners and upper rear portion of the frame. It will make no visual difference if it is tube or rod. The tricky part is I need 3/16 round bent to a 90 degree corner with a 1/2 inch radius...I think solid bar will work as long as I am patient.

USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. dpride's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    Some annealed 3/16" brass rod, bent with my fingers around a bolt in the vise.
    The end 90 degree bend was with a plastic hammer in soft jaws in vise.

Hello, my name is David and I am a brassaholic.-bent-brass3-16-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David (USA) there is a great example of what I was trying to say early about annealed rod by David (Australia).

David Great example!

Ken
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    That's even better then I would have expected!

USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Okay, got me some 3/16 brass rod and a fresh propane cylinder...time for some fun! Pictures of success soon to follow.

Just an hour later and I have a 3/16 diameter rod bent into a 1/2 I.D. pigtail!

Now to cut my 90s and solder them to the tube!

Last edited by spinellid82; 09-06-13 at 01:00 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    David, sounds great and hopefully no burnt fingers; looking forward to seeing pictures.

Ken
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Way to adapt and overcome Gunny.....
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    That looks great! And somewhat familiar too...
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Nope, no burned fingers...so far. Soldering the solid rod is a bit trickier then the tube. It takes a lot longer to heat and when being soldered to tube the tube can get kind of soft. Patience patience patience!

USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    [B]HELP! I've lost my links and I can't find bolts! [/B]

Somehow my favorites list got wiped clean...bet Susan will try to blame one of the cats but she used my computer for some reason last night and has been acting kinda odd today.

USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #15