Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Here I go, off on another who really cares adventure. I was helping out a buddy with a 5.7 Hemi (blown headgasket) and little minor blueprinting, you know, matching the ports and the like. Top it all off with a valve job, new seals and gaskets, we have ignition. Here's where my heart was broken.....this new Hemi ain't no Hemi! A hemispherical head is kinda like a ball cut in half with a couple of valves and a spark plug in the dome, its all in the name. We pulled all the plastic ge-gaws, pullotion, computer this and that and still lookin' good. I knew my beloved Hemi was under there somewhere. Finally, off came the head, flipped it over to look at the valves.....WHAT IS THIS? Some figure 8 looking thing with squish areas and angled this and OOOOOHHHHH MY............I have to sit down. So, I've never been one to leave anything alone...I start on my quest....Where do you guys get off calling this thing a Hemi? The short version is this: We can call it a Hemi because we own it (HEMI-ROADRUNNER-GTX etc.) When the engineers redesigned the Hemi to make it more efficient the heads were redesigned. I'M CRUSHED! I think I need a hug.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    AAAAhhhhhh....... Big, big huggie for grandpa... Its ok.....:D :D :D

I hear ya. All this new *?:*)' they put on these motors just to slow down a little hole over Iceland. Who lives in Iceland anyway. The extra UV rays will add some needed color...

Give me my 69 GTX 440 Commando back!!! That was a car. Speed and a wood grain dash. Ah the good old days. Oh ya, whats with sticking a Super Bee decal That Ain't No Hemi!!! on a 1/2 ton pickup :confused: :confused: :confused: Just doesnt seem right :( Daniel
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Gentlemen, what's in a name? Look at the new GTO? enough said. Here in the Midwest they say natural gas prices are going up 70%. Jay Leno said this Global Warming is the new plan to heat houses. I read the Hemi wasn't a Hemi before but wasn't surprised. That's surprising that engine went bad that soon. Grandpa, there's another word out there that is very very bad...TUNER! I work with Tuners, front wheel drive is not muscle. Keith Scoviak. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Now I like tuners. I drive a 3/4 ton Silverado long bed extended cab with a 12" lift and on set of 32's with classic 15" Centerlines. Thats one big truck and hard as heck to park.. Its great how I can pull up right over the back of that wing when a parking space isnt long enough.. Nice of them to be so courteous to us truck drivers.. :D :D :D Daniel
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    My daily driver is a full size 5-speed pickup. Suspension mods, ceramic brakes, captains chairs from a conversion van, the normal stuff. I got rear ended by a tuner at a traffic light a few weeks back, it fit quite nicely under the back of my truck. When the cops showed up I drove the truck off the smashed carbon fiber hood and ground affects. She was charged with careless driving (she told the cop that she saw my tail lights but I stopped too quick and she slid into me.) I'm suprised her cell phone wasn't embedded in her bubble head. The reese hitch plowed a neat path through her radiator, those pretty billet parts and turbo as well as breaking the block loose from the mounts. Damage to my pickup was a twisted step bumper, the tuner was totaled. I'm still waiting to hear from her insurance company! I love my truck. The only drawback is it cost me over $75 to fill it up yesterday, two gas tanks.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Scoviak
    Gentlemen, what's in a name? Look at the new GTO? enough said. Here in the Midwest they say natural gas prices are going up 70%. Jay Leno said this Global Warming is the new plan to heat houses. I read the Hemi wasn't a Hemi before but wasn't surprised. That's surprising that engine went bad that soon. Grandpa, there's another word out there that is very very bad...TUNER! I work with Tuners, front wheel drive is not muscle. Keith Scoviak. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I usually decline working on tuners, I'm just not comfortable hopping up a car with a laptop and drag slicks on the front is down right silly looking. I don't think I really need a wide screen plasma TV in my trunk either.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars
    AAAAhhhhhh....... Big, big huggie for grandpa... Its ok.....:D :D :D

I hear ya. All this new *?:*)' they put on these motors just to slow down a little hole over Iceland. Who lives in Iceland anyway. The extra UV rays will add some needed color...

Give me my 69 GTX 440 Commando back!!! That was a car. Speed and a wood grain dash. Ah the good old days. Oh ya, whats with sticking a Super Bee decal That Ain't No Hemi!!! on a 1/2 ton pickup :confused: :confused: :confused: Just doesnt seem right :( Daniel
    You silly boy, that's not a Super Bee it's a Rumble Bee.
    I had a friend stop by with his new Hemi Charger R/T........Not even close.
    A 4-door 2 ton 14 second plastic, compsite, aluminum, computer controlled whatever. The thing even shuts down some of the cylinders when the extra power? isn't needed. I don't even want to think about what the repair bills on that are going to be.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    At some point I could have liked tuners. After all I hear they are this millenium's hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods. What destroyed it for me was the Fast and Furious movie. Not so much the movie itself but right after the second one came out, my local highway was full of these little cars racing around at 85 in a 45 zone basically pushing folks off the road and sounding like buckets of bees, painted in weird colors, decaled up with lettering I couldn't read, sporting all kinds of fibergalss modern art and wings hanging all over the place. I even saw this one car owned by a friend of my son in law. She lowered the front end and did all kinds of work to it. Then I went and saw the front tires. The tread on the outer aspect of the tire was fine but the inner half was worn flat to the belt. I told her she better get her car's wheels aligned before she goes broke buying new tires. She told me that's the way they were supposed to be because that's what happens when you own a tuner. It gives it better stability. Otherwise she said you'd have to cut into the axle and do this and that and that's not good. Man, was I confused !! I said how the h&^% are you supposed to get any efficient speed when you have so much drag on those things? I never really understood the answer but these things are in no way hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods. They don't sound like hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods, they don't look like hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods and they don't smell like hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods. And then they tell me that these little things can outrace a rod with a REAL hemi with a six pack and a quick change?? I think not. As far as the new hemi is concerned, I went yesterday to get the oil in the PT changed and saw the new Dodge Charger. I asked the sales guy how much horsepower does it have and he said 400. Anyone know if that's true??
    Also, if you look at the car, why does it look like a Mustang? I like Mustangs but not on a Mopar product.

Good grief!! I'm ranting. I need my pills now. See what you started? :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm not in my right mind tonight.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Gentlemen, 3 years ago I was sitting at a turning lane at a stop light waiting for traffic to go by. A woman rear ended our Dakota, only damage was a pushed in rear bumper, her car alot under all that plastic. She said she thought I was going to go and she didn't think it was her fault because she was busy on the cell phone and complained she hit her head on the steering wheel because of no seat belt. In 1996 Nancy was hit at about 35 sitting at a stop sign, to this day she still has neck and back problems. Without straying from the subject our one son Ryan worked nights in a hospital E.R. for 3 years. He told us of shootings, stabbings, trains running over people, the worse cases, people NOT WEARING THEIR SEAT BELTS. The stories were so sobering we won't even leave the driveway without being buckled up. We have come close to being hit several times by cell phone users. HANG UP AND DRIVE! You go Grandpa one cool dude. Keith Scoviak. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I think it's more like 345 HP...with a package of extra junk you don't want you get another 10 or so. Something like that anyway. They are supposed to be coming out with a bigger make believe Hemi, 6.1 or some such thing. I just don't get it I guess. These things cost like 50 grand....I'd rather pay $20,000 for a real honest to goodness 500 cubic inch (forget that 5.7 stuff) crate Hemi and stuff it in a '65 2-door Belvedere and still have gas money left over. A 12 second street car with a serious attitude. No Hemi decals either!
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Don't get me started with those morons with the cell phones. That's a whole other rant for me. I could go on for days about cell phones and drivers. I'm being kind and sparing you all the worst.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    At some point I could have liked tuners. After all I hear they are this millenium's hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods. What destroyed it for me was the Fast and Furious movie. Not so much the movie itself but right after the second one came out, my local highway was full of these little cars racing around at 85 in a 45 zone basically pushing folks off the road and sounding like buckets of bees, painted in weird colors, decaled up with lettering I couldn't read, sporting all kinds of fibergalss modern art and wings hanging all over the place. I even saw this one car owned by a friend of my son in law. She lowered the front end and did all kinds of work to it. Then I went and saw the front tires. The tread on the outer aspect of the tire was fine but the inner half was worn flat to the belt. I told her she better get her car's wheels aligned before she goes broke buying new tires. She told me that's the way they were supposed to be because that's what happens when you own a tuner. It gives it better stability. Otherwise she said you'd have to cut into the axle and do this and that and that's not good. Man, was I confused !! I said how the h&^% are you supposed to get any efficient speed when you have so much drag on those things? I never really understood the answer but these things are in no way hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods. They don't sound like hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods, they don't look like hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods and they don't smell like hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods. And then they tell me that these little things can outrace a rod with a REAL hemi with a six pack and a quick change?? I think not. As far as the new hemi is concerned, I went yesterday to get the oil in the PT changed and saw the new Dodge Charger. I asked the sales guy how much horsepower does it have and he said 400. Anyone know if that's true??
    Also, if you look at the car, why does it look like a Mustang? I like Mustangs but not on a Mopar product.

Good grief!! I'm ranting. I need my pills now. See what you started? :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm not in my right mind tonight.
    Well being that I turned 45 this year and survived a brain operation, I thought I do something nice for myself for once. I broke down and went and bought a brand new '05 Mustang GT convertible with a 5-speed manual trans. I just love this car..:)..I got a good deal on it also, $32, and some change. I for one hate these little buzz bombs you guys are talkin' about. You hear how much these kids are dumpin' into these little death traps??? we're talkin' about $100,000??? Can someone explain to me what the word bbb bling stands for???....:(
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You got me on that one Deuces. I can't stand that bucket of bee's sound.
    Besides, we've spent so much time over the years eliminating all that extra trim and graphics, and these guys spend a fortune putting it all back on. If I wanted something from the Hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! Wheels collection I would have gone to Wal-Mart and saved a whole lot of money. Now hand me over that 1/8 scale socket wrench and let's get building some real machines. :D :D :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    You got me on that one Deuces. I can't stand that bucket of bee's sound.
    Besides, we've spent so much time over the years eliminating all that extra trim and graphics, and these guys spend a fortune putting it all back on. If I wanted something from the Hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! Wheels collection I would have gone to Wal-Mart and saved a whole lot of money. Now hand me over that 1/8 scale socket wrench and let's get building some real machines. :D :D :D
    Ok HFC, is that with the 9/16's socket? ur I mean the .070 in 1/8?? need the torque wrench also??..:) Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I definitely need a new torque wrench. I dropped mine and it's lost somewhere in the carpet with my timing light. I did find my 1/8 scale welding set. You don't know what yelling is until you step on one of those in the dark. :D :D :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #15