Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I've heard for 30 years modeling is dying out, look at what we have now. The resin That Ain't No Hemi!!! and aftermarket industry is awesome. The detail of the cars now. The paints, tools, and reference materials out there. The model companies reissueing the old kits and promos again. Many with the original type art work on the boxes. Who ever thought we'd see new tooling for an Edsel, a few station wagons, race cars of every type. Look at the Monogram Big Deuce, a flat head, Moon discs, steelies with rings and hub caps, now the Big T kit, a 3 in one. I grew up during the "Golden Years" of modelling, it was new, exciting and then came slot cars and commercial tracks. Model cars and model railroading have survived, they got better both hobbies. The detail is fantastic and in the hands of skilled guys incredible. New modellers have something they can be proud of too. Next time anyone feels the model companies don't listen, go to a real well stocked hobby shop and it will let reality set in. As far as prices go, in 1963 a 1/8th Big Drag was $10.98 list. Wages $3.50 per hour was good. Work 3 hours get a Big Drag. Now average factory wage $25.00 to $30.00 per hour. Work 2 1/2 to 3 hours buy a new Big T kit. Go to Hobby Lobby 1/2 off sale buy 2 of them. If all of us didn't agree on one thing we wouldn't be here. Model building is great. Keith 88proof. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #31

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Proof
    I've heard for 30 years modeling is dying out, look at what we have now. The resin That Ain't No Hemi!!! and aftermarket industry is awesome. The detail of the cars now. The paints, tools, and reference materials out there. The model companies reissueing the old kits and promos again. Many with the original type art work on the boxes. Who ever thought we'd see new tooling for an Edsel, a few station wagons, race cars of every type. Look at the Monogram Big Deuce, a flat head, Moon discs, steelies with rings and hub caps, now the Big T kit, a 3 in one. I grew up during the "Golden Years" of modelling, it was new, exciting and then came slot cars and commercial tracks. Model cars and model railroading have survived, they got better both hobbies. The detail is fantastic and in the hands of skilled guys incredible. New modellers have something they can be proud of too. Next time anyone feels the model companies don't listen, go to a real well stocked hobby shop and it will let reality set in. As far as prices go, in 1963 a 1/8th Big Drag was $10.98 list. Wages $3.50 per hour was good. Work 3 hours get a Big Drag. Now average factory wage $25.00 to $30.00 per hour. Work 2 1/2 to 3 hours buy a new Big T kit. Go to Hobby Lobby 1/2 off sale buy 2 of them. If all of us didn't agree on one thing we wouldn't be here. Model building is great. Keith 88proof. :)
    Oh how I'd love to get my hands on a new big drag kit or some of the other 1/8th scale kits from monogram and lindberg...I must be dreaming...:( Maybe if we rant and rave enough, they'll be nice and start making these kits again in the very near future. They have the tooling stashed away somewhere...just rotting away in some corner of a wharehouse...What a shame.....:( We want more 1/8th scale kits dag nabit!!-------------- Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I have a bad feeling that if they felt the kits weren't too popular, they destroyed the tooling. Either that or they'll release one every 200 years. At least that's what it's going to feel like.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

4. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    From my own tool and die experience and what I know about the cost of tooling you can wrap up $50,000.00 to $100,00.00 to do one car. That is just for the dies. Then you have research and developement, legal stuff to obtaine liscensing, materials to make the models, labor, transportation, advertising, artwork, photography, boxes, more legal stuff, and inventory. If the dies exist that cuts the initial cost of the tooling, but chances are that old die might not fit a new machine and will have to be reworked. Just because you were liscensed 40 years ago doesn't mean it's legal today. These companies have to turn a profit or they go under or make something else. The bottom line is this, how much will we spend, how many do we have to sell to make a profit, how much interest will there be over a period of time. Realistically if it cost $200,000.00 total to put a car into production, the list would be $100.00. They sell it for $50.00 to the distibutor, as an example, now that's 4000 cars to make the $200,000.00. This doesn't cover the materials and labor involved which would take at least 60% as an example. Now you are looking at close to 9000 model kits to break even. Worldwide low numbers, there are 50 states that's about 180 kits per state, so it costs alot and the market is very limited. What age groups can afford on of these 1/8th kits. I'm not raining on any parades, years ago I was set down and had the dollars and cents explained to me and for me to get a new issue there was alot of money being thrown into the equation. These companies do listen, but many times profits win out. Resin That Ain't No Hemi!!! casters can be the bridge for us to get what we want. Keith 88proof. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You're right Keith...my background in advertisng and maketing tells me so.
    But we got this forum, tons of talent and new ideas, Dan to produce the parts and lots of 1/8th builders...so I figure if RM and the rest of 'em can't afford to give us what we want, pee on 'em we'll make our own! ;)
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    This was the reason I wanted to do scratchbuilding. You guys are absolutely right. If we don't do it ourselves, then we'll never get anyone else to do it. I went into a hobby shop today just to look around. I looked at this and that and thought I think I can make this and that. I had no urge to buy any new kits. You can pee on them all you want. I'll join in. :)
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

7. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    This is why I all ready sent Dan and Grandpa some stuff for masters and made Dan a couple all ready. I'm changing some of time spent at home to making masters for Dan. What I seen so far is alot of talent making great one off That Ain't No Hemi!!! cars. You guys aren't intimidated by 1/8th in size. Anyone will cut up and scratch build That Ain't No Hemi!!! 1/25th and do some one off That Ain't No Hemi!!! stuff, but this big stuff is really stepping up to the plate. Take care Keith 88proof. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yep, If you think about it, this forum started cranking up just a few months ago and there are already some fantastic builds in the works. Membership is growing and we are havin' a great time. What more could you ask for?....... Maybe more modeling time. As long as we are here and sharing what we've learned with the young'uns 1/8th will be around for a long time to come. Big thanks to Dan for the use of the playground.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

9. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Speaking of the young ones. Alot of their hard earned or in my case it was begged for money gets dropped on a 1/8th kit. How many of them can afford to buy brass screws. nuts, washers, etc? Paint and plastic strips can do alot and they are reasonable. The metalizer That Ain't No Hemi!!! paints too. I took a set of the stock Flathead Edelbrock heads into work and media blasted them at 80 PSI, now this stuff is like baking soda. It not only removed the chrome but etched every detail deeper so the nuts don't look cast in. I air brushed them with aluminum metalizer That Ain't No Hemi!!! and painted the nuts with some of that Chrome in a Can arosole spray I sprayed in a small cup and brush painted on the nuts. If you use dull clear coat That Ain't No Hemi!!! on the heads before you paint the nuts so they stay shiney you can use an acrylic That Ain't No Hemi!!! paint to paint the recesses in the fins and wipe off the excess before it dries on the fins themselves. Keith 88proof. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'll share that sentiment. The only thing about 1/8 scale that's intimidatiing is the price of some of the kits and the cost of some of the resin That Ain't No Hemi!!! parts. The rest is a cakewalk for us. I joined this gang of irregulars at the end of September. It's only 3 months later and because of you guys I can do a heck of a lot more than I could before. It was also a matter of the great amount of encouragement I got which led me to try some of the techniques I never would have even thought to try. I'll be closing on the new house a week from today and then the moving starts. By the end of the month or the first week in Feb., I should be up and running again, building in between the sessions of getting the house put together. Then the fun begins and I start scratchbuilding in earnest.
    QUOTE QUOTE #40