Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    When you get right down to it tuners aren't much larger than these 1/8th scale cars.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #16

2. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Option list for a Tuner car. Carbon-fiber hood and fenders you don't paint, that way you can show it off. TV sets in the car and trunk, large speakers and stereo sysyems. Neon under the chassis. A large "fart can" muffler. Nitrous Oxide, graphics, loud paint, wheel patterns that are, well "different". Wings? With a trunk load of stereo equipment, a TV, and Nitrous how could anything short of a Caterpillar 20 ton crane raise that rear end. Now rules of the road, you are the only person using both lanes except the guy you're racing. Watch TV, talk on your cell phone, and eat at the same time. Skip any of the formentioned if you have your girl in the car. You will be too busy dazzeling her with you and your car. Gas is cheap, drop the hammer at every light. Nitrous is good for an engine, use it all the time to keep the carbon out. Remember, us older guys don't know what real horsepower and style is. One ride in some of these old 427's, Hemi's, Boss 429's etc. and you'll be plastered back into the seat so hard you'll be peeing your pants crying for your mommy. Keith 88proof. :) And the few bad apples that think they are real bad and tough, join the military and go to war, let's see you walk the walk.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

3. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Proof
    Option list for a Tuner car. Carbon-fiber hood and fenders you don't paint, that way you can show it off. TV sets in the car and trunk, large speakers and stereo sysyems. Neon under the chassis. A large "fart can" muffler. Nitrous Oxide, graphics, loud paint, wheel patterns that are, well "different". Wings? With a trunk load of stereo equipment, a TV, and Nitrous how could anything short of a Caterpillar 20 ton crane raise that rear end. Now rules of the road, you are the only person using both lanes except the guy you're racing. Watch TV, talk on your cell phone, and eat at the same time. Skip any of the formentioned if you have your girl in the car. You will be too busy dazzeling her with you and your car. Gas is cheap, drop the hammer at every light. Nitrous is good for an engine, use it all the time to keep the carbon out. Remember, us older guys don't know what real horsepower and style is. One ride in some of these old 427's, Hemi's, Boss 429's etc. and you'll be plastered back into the seat so hard you'll be peeing your pants crying for your mommy. Keith 88proof. :) And the few bad apples that think they are real bad and tough, join the military and go to war, let's see you walk the walk.
    Amen to that!!!!! Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Good one Keith. I couldn't have said it better myself. Since when did stereos, cell phones, TV equipment and neon lights become high performance equipment?? Back in 79, a friend of mine let me drive his modified 65 vette with a 350 small block with 2 4 barrels , a 60 pound racing clutch and some real performance equipment. I was getting onto the highway in first, then I shifted into second and he yelled out, slow down, you're going 80 mph. IN SECOND GEAR!!!! And I still had two more gears to go. When I stomped the gas pedal, I wound up in the back seat!! Don't tell me a tuner could out race that.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Don't kid yourselves guys, some of those tinker toys are quick. They make gobs of power when you put 'em on the bottle and they are light. My issue with them is the [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]es that drive 'em! They say they are the hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods of the future.......be kind, they only say that because most of them have never redlined a blown elephant.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I guess I'm just too old school. Just an old Dinosaur. Just think, though. In 65 millions years, I'll be oil and maybe get refined and power a 426 hemi. I'm looking forward to that. :D
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

7. BrailleScaleDon's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett
    Don't kid yourselves guys, some of those tinker toys are quick. They make gobs of power when you put 'em on the bottle and they are light. My issue with them is the [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]es that drive 'em! They say they are the hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods of the future.......be kind, they only say that because most of them have never redlined a blown elephant.
    I just bought a '74 260 Z to drive on sunny days and such. I wanted a '65 Mustang fastback, but I couldn't have bought a rust-bucket Mustang for what I paid for a drivable Z car. Its funny - even the Z-car crowd hates tuners...

Back in the late 70's when I was a gear-head high-schooler driving a 383 Road Runner, a lot of the "Classic Detroit Muscle Cars" cruising the street we're more show than go too - there were a lot of 2 barrel 307 Chevelle's that couldn't squeek a tire if the drivers life depeneded on it, but they still had air shocks, Cragar wheels, white letter tires and a glass-pack muffler - guess it worked fine for impressing the cheerleaders... Personally, with all the emissions crap the tuner guys have to deal with I give 'em credit for making the effort just to turn wrenches on their cars - and at least some of 'em are fast-as-stink.

Don Schmitz
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Glad to hear you got to experience a roadrunner. I bought one when they first came out. Hang on to your shorts guys....Brand new a base roadrunner had a sticker price of $2,800 and change. It came standard with a 4-speed the auto was an option. I ordered the Hemi which was an $800 option and came with No warranty! No power steering! No power brakes! No radio...Nothing that would draw power from the engine. It was the worst handling, most miserable car to stop or keep tuned I ever owned. Stock it turned 13 sec. after I tweeked it....solid 11's on the street. Would I do it again? YOU BET!
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

9. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Call me American, free speech and all. Maybe it's not the cars, it's some of the people driving them. This last fall a man lost his wife, child, and mother in law while on their way home because of 2 of these cars drag racing. The one passenger was killed too. The guys are in prison now, since the Fast and the Furious came out I've heard many times over that drag racing and car crashes went up. Three years ago a young guy was drag racing and lost it killing himself on State Street, the busiest street in Rockford. The other car was never found, several witnesses said they had to be going over 80 at least. I'm Old School I know it, I still live it and what's great at 48 years old there's guys in their 20's interested in the rat rods and hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rods too. Keith 88proof. :rolleyes:
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    We used to talk at length about this subject at SA. We talked about which state had the worst drivers, the most dangerous intersections and some of the creepy accidents that happened. Tonight this thread brought back a memory during the early 70's where I saw the result of drag racing that even today keeps me in control of my car. I was playing a gig on a Saturday night when during a break we heard a loud thud form outside. We were in a VFW hall which was right on a perfect 1/4 + mile straight and flat 6 lane highway. We ran outside and saw a car with its entire front end wrapped around a busted telephone pole still help up by its wires. The wreck was so bad, you couldn't even tell what make the car was. You just knew it was a muscle car by the size of its engine which flew out of the car and landed 60 feet down the highway. The passenger, a 20 year old female flew right through the front window and landed about 100 feet from the car in a state of shock with 2 broken legs and God knows what kind of head and internal injuries she had. The driver was still in the car which decelerated from 120 mph to 0 mph in about 1 foot. He never even knew what happened. He was so badly twisted in the car, you couldn't tell how he was laying. We found out later from witnesses that he was dragging, got up to about 120 mph, hit a puddle, hydroplaned and the rest was history. If that wasn't bad enough, I witnessed the same thing happen in Charleston on a busy straight 4 laner where two Navy troops died. Dragging can be fun on a regular racing strip but it's definitely not worth doing it on the street. Hope I didn't mess up anyone's holiday.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett
    Glad to hear you got to experience a roadrunner. I bought one when they first came out. Hang on to your shorts guys....Brand new a base roadrunner had a sticker price of $2,800 and change. It came standard with a 4-speed the auto was an option. I ordered the Hemi which was an $800 option and came with No warranty! No power steering! No power brakes! No radio...Nothing that would draw power from the engine. It was the worst handling, most miserable car to stop or keep tuned I ever owned. Stock it turned 13 sec. after I tweeked it....solid 11's on the street. Would I do it again? YOU BET!
    haha.....You Rock! Don......:D Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

12. BrailleScaleDon's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Proof
    Call me American, free speech and all. Maybe it's not the cars, it's some of the people driving them.
    Put a teenager behind the wheel and you'll get stupidity and tragedy, whether they're driving a 32' coupe, a big-block pony-car or a nitro'd and turbo-charged Supra. I don't condone street racing like in the Fast-n-Furious excuse for a movie, but movies like "Vanishing Point" and "Crazy Larry, Dirty Mary" and "American Grafitti" (all of which I still love to watch) were probably a similar bad influence on my generation - when I was 17 and driving the Road Runner I did some stupid things - and some of the things my "friends" did went beyond that (I didn't have any qualms about risking my own life but tried not to endanger anyone else's - others were all too willing to cross that line). Somewhere along the way those of us that didn't kill ourselves started thinking with our big-heads and realized we weren't immortal.

Too often we put the youngsters down just because they're doing things differently (and often better) than we did. No one is manufactuing Hemi's anymore - these guys are working with what they've got to go fast. When I graduated colledge, I sold the Road Runner for $600 bucks (still hurts to think about it) and bought a new '83 GT Mustang - in the 80s there was pretty much nothing you could do to hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! -rod that Mustang without blowing the next emissions test; back then I was sure hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! -rodding was dead. I give the Tuner foks credit - they found a way to take cheap grocery getters and with their own hands and minimum wage salaries build some serious performance - to me that is what "hot rodding" has always been about.

Don Schmitz
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Don, you make a very good point. I can definitely understand some of the speed equipment because that is hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rodding. The goofy non functional wings, under the car lights and some of the very expensive, almost unaffordable (especially on a minimum wage salary) non speed equipment is what makes them objectionable to me. I love the sound of a powerhouse engine like a flathead, a big Harley or a hemi but that bucket of bees flatulence sound does make my skin crawl. I also hate to see the quasi lowering techniques that cause the front tires to wear so heavily on the inner aspect of the tire like I described in another post. That adds a lot of drag just for the speedy looks and can also be hard on the car as well as being dangerous. ( I think)
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

14. BrailleScaleDon's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    The goofy non functional wings, under the car lights and some of the very expensive, almost unaffordable (especially on a minimum wage salary) non speed equipment is what makes them objectionable to me. I love the sound of a powerhouse engine like a flathead, a big Harley or a hemi but that bucket of bees flatulence sound does make my skin crawl. I also hate to see the quasi lowering techniques that cause the front tires to wear so heavily on the inner aspect of the tire like I described in another post.
    Yeah, they look goofy to me too. Of course the side-pipes and non-functional hood-scoops didn't do much for the performance of the muscle-cars I used to see cruising main street either - and the jacked-up rear-ends (thanks to over-inflated air shocks) probably weren't too safe. -Atleast [I]some[/I] of the tuner-guys are learning what actually makes you go fast - and hopefully steering them into something more constructive than selling hamburgers for a living...

To pull this back to modeling, I've seen (mostly young) guys that build model tuners, and low riders, and other "non-traditional" subjects get the cold shoulder at model contests too - sometimes from the same guys that talk about how the hobby is dying out. If the hobby is going to last it has to change and they're the future - just so I don't have to listen their music ;)
    Of course I've got a life-time supply of muscle car, hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! -rod and vintage road racer kits in the closet...

Don Schmitz
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I know what you mean, Don. We've discussed it over at SA and most of us came up with the conclusion that you don't have to like the subject but you have to respect the right of those modelers who do. Judges can't discriminate because their own styles and preferences are different. As long as the build is a quality build, i.e. cleanly done, mold lines That Ain't No Hemi!!! removed, good clean finish, accurate for the scale ( unless it's on the order of a Muscle Machine or Ed Roth type subject) , no glue strings or finger prints, clean windshield unless weathered, details paid attention to and nice presentation, even if you build a plaid hemi powered lawn mower, it should get the same consideration as any other model on the table. That to me is what modeling is about. True, I don't like tuners, but I also don't build NASCAR, formula racers, trucks, many muscle cars, Old European cars or Indy racers. I'm a hot That Ain't No Hemi!!! rod and custom builder. It's what I like to see. You'll notice even on SA I've never criticized anyone's subject unless it's totally sociopathic or totally inappropriate by everyone's standards. If a guy wants to own a tuner, that's fine. I wouldn't buy it from him but I wouldn't call the cops or give him grief if it was parked next to mine on the street. My opinions of things are for my own actions and I might voice them. but they're not to be forced on anyone else. I'm glad we can talk about these things without conflict. What a great group.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30