Close

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: "T Time at SMC"

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    HERE'S WILLYS41 POST FROM THE OLD THREAD..........IT'S BEEN MOVED HERE TO MAKE EVERYTHING EASIER TO LOCATE AND KEEP IT ALL IN ONE PLACE, THANKS WILLYS41
    05-22-2006, 03:38 PM
    Willys41
    Member Join Date: Oct 2005

Model build up (See Rat Rodders fasten your seat belt) post #15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well as I was sitting here thinking ( I love the smell of old rubber burning) maybe the idea I started in the Rat Rodders fasten your seat belt POST #15and post #31 and beyond should be a thread by itself for more visiblity. So here it is again for all to chime in on. Lets get it going.

OK now that Don has said it so well, this might be a good time to open up my idea that I was thinking about back in post #15.

Let all pick a kit to build be it the T or the Deuce. We can vote from which one and once the kit is decided on we can have a build and see what different car show up. I suggest we set some guide lines so that the build will fit into every body's skill level. Like the parts must only be from the kit (no scratch building) or may be only parts availble from this site or maybe Edeuce for wheels and tires and engine parts. Channeling and sectioning may be allowed. Lets not get into ever nut and bolt add just build a cool model of your liking.

The idea is to see what everyone would built from the same basic starting point. We could set a time limit on the build 6 months or even a year, we can all decide as a group. At the we could all submit photo's of the build and see what we have done.

The idea is to keep it open to all in the site at all building levels and most of all have fun. What does every one think about this. Help by adding your ideas or comments or maybe its just not a good idea.

I will be gone 5-23 till 5-31 but I hope I can get on line at some point.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll post some rules (hate that word) here for everyone involved to refer back to. The point is, this is meant to be fun for the first time buider as well as you shall we say "seasoned" ol' timers. If there are any objections or confusion to the rules simply ask...no problem.

1. Must be 1/8th scale "T" kit (R/M, Lindberg etc. New or Old)

2. No Scratchbuilt bodies or major components.

3. Any engine, trans, tires, suspenpension is acceptable as long as they are kit parts (any kit) and available commercially. If you put a Jag engine in a T or open up the doors you will more than likely have to make some sort of motor mounts and hinges, let's allow a little rule bending for stuff like that...O.K?

4. Parts can be modified as long as you start with kit parts...try not to abuse this too much, If you want to put two kit bodies together to make a tub and stretch the kit frame, fine. Please don't bury a kit body under 35 lbs. of bondo. The new big T has a pickup bed, turtle deck and round tank as options for the rear...all acceptable. There are some strange variations that Lindy has used in the past as well...they are all kit pieces and fair game.

5. Aftermarket parts O.K. Resin "T Time at SMC" or metal. If you want a blower and it's availble.....go for it.

6. You don't have to buy parts through this site exculsively, use any vendor you wish...although you might check with Dan first to see if he has what you are looking for and save a few bucks.

7. No Time Limit....No Contest...No Prizes (let's just see what we can come up with and share some ideas and tips)

8. Post photos whenever possible...that's what keeps it fun.

9. Most importantly....have fun!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So how many of you guys are going to particate....I'm in.:D
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Me Too!

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Doc I have an old t bucket kit which has been built and stripped it's complete I gave it to my brother inlaw a long time back now , he's not doing anything with it so I'll give it to you ok so email me with your P A. Cheers mate ;)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Let's get this members "T" build going...there is no time limit so jump in anywhere...........I'll start by telling you what I have in mind. I'll include a build list of the parts I used and where to get 'em, any modification of parts will be posted as well. Dan...jump in here and let us know if you have any parts ready that would be useful in this project.;)

My "T" will be Blown Hemi powered.

ENGINE
    Pontiac block (R/M Big Deuce Kit)
    Resin "T Time at SMC" heads and valve covers
    Resin "T Time at SMC" blower
    Pulleys, waterpump, altenator, starter, bellhousing and 4-speed (R/M '65 Vette parts)
    I'm going to use an automatic trans if Dan has them ready.
    Resin "T Time at SMC" distributor
    Engine detail kit (Dan)

BODY
    R/M Big T
    Opening doors
    Heavily Modified bed

FRAME
    R/M Big T
    Stretched and boxed

SUSPENSION
    Cast metal Suicide front axle, coil overs rear, radius rods (Dan)

TIRES
    Wires and skinnys up front (Early R/M T kit) Insane wide rear tires (R/M trike kit w/5 spoke mag wheels

THEME*
    Whacko '70s style trailer queen show car (somebody had to do one!):eek:

*SUBJECT TO IN PROGRESS CHANGES
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. I'd like to participate, but I'm supposed to do a "Scratchbuilding How-To" for next month and was going to make a hood top out of brass as one portion of the demo. Of course, it was my latest T project that I was planning to use... but if I can find a Revell "T Time at SMC" Trike Corvair powerplant, I might be able to salvage an old builtup that I have, and make something really intersting...

Dave
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sounds "very" interesting Dave...no deadline on this to deal with either.:D
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Did a mock-up to kinda get a feel for this build but I'm not really happy with it.....so it's back to the think tank.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    O.K. since there's no time limit, this is what I'm going to try to do with my T build. It won't be exactly like it, i.e. it'll have a different engine, probably the Olds Rocket and a different type of grill. Heaven only knows when it will get done. Since it's not a contest and since it's just to see what kind of T's we can come up with, some parts may have to be scratchbuilt. Rather than have an exact box stock "T Time at SMC" situation, would anyone mind if we did it in our own particular building style? That way, each build will sort of be like a signature. Over time, we'll get to recognize each other's styles. Here goes.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff...back up a bit on the posts...not 'posed to be any scratchbuilding.:p
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Yeah, Don I know. I was basically looking for the bend in the rules. I wasn't talking about doing a whole assembly like a body or a chassis but little details here and there. No problem though, I got loads of stuff I have to do before I even get to the T. Ya gotta admit though, it's a great looking T in the pictures.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yeah, looks like about a '27 on Deuce rails.:)
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Yep...the '27 has great lines. My favorite body style...especially when it's got a roof on it. :D

I'm in too. I've gotta do some catchin' up on other projects before I start, but it'll be the one that I did the sneak peek of a while back. I'll just hold off on the brass stuff until the next build. That was my original intent anyway, so it'll put me back on track.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...read.php?t=496

Glu
    [FONT=Arial]Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.[/FONT]
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    That green T is the Barris Bros (Credited to George built by Sam as usual) 1962 AMBR winning T "The Twister T", yeah its a 27 on 32 rails. One of the first of the 'wild' show cars from back then.
    Kinda cool I think, but then again not much Barris stuff isnt!!
    Doc.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by modelmaker
    Doc I have an old t bucket kit which has been built and stripped it's complete I gave it to my brother inlaw a long time back now , he's not doing anything with it so I'll give it to you ok so email me with your P A. Cheers mate ;)
    O.K. Doc you're in (Thanks Modelmaker, guys like you are what make this such a great site) more stuff coming from me, Dan and Jeff. I'll be going back through this thread and delete the posts that don't pertain to the "T" build today.

So what you got in mind for your build Doc?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Quote Originally Posted by docwatson1938
    That green T is the Barris Bros (Credited to George built by Sam as usual) 1962 AMBR winning T "The Twister T
    Doc.
    I thought that was what it was...but I wasn't sure. I don't think I've ever seen color pics of it. Cool!!!

Sean...that's damn cool of ya!

Glu
    [FONT=Arial]Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.[/FONT]
    QUOTE QUOTE #15