Close

1. Privateer's Avatar Active Member
    My holy grail kit is Monograms 1/8 '79 Trans Am,but the rarity and price keep me from obtaining it. The turbo T/A's are cheaper and easier to find. Here's my thought.....how hard would it to be to convert the turbo car to the '79 ? I would think that Monogram only changed the tool for the rims, the hood and the turbo set up. I would think that the chassis ,body,interior, and engine is the same. Any body have both that they could compare? My thinking is to buy an unbuilt turbo kit and find a glue bomb diferences in Mongrams big T/A's '79 for the needed parts.. Any thoughts???
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    If you can, I would definitely buy the cheaper kits and see if you can find a derelict 79 for the right parts. Another alternative would be to figure out which parts need to be replaced and then scratchbuild what you need if you're able to do that. If you need any "how to" advice, just let us know and we'll see if we can get you over the hurdles. Otherwise, the derelict model is the way to go. Hope this helps.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I have seen someone trying to convert one to a 79 or 78, can't remember if it was here in this forum.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You're right, Egon. Hey Privateer, here's the link for that build. Hopefully, this will help you out wth your own conversion.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...-monogram.html
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Banditclone's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Ron
    I have parts from both 79 & 80 1/8 monogram trans am. Also have started custom 77/78 nose & tail. I remember a early 70's nose some one fabbed in a uncompleted build that looked really good. Don't remember user or forum. Love to get a casting diferences in Mongrams big T/A's of it.
    Last edited by Banditclone; 08-11-20 at 08:54 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. JWalshart's Avatar Member
    Name
    John
    There is actually a big difference between the 79TA kit and the 80 Turbo kit. The turbo engine is Pontiacs 301 V8 while the 79 has the Pontiac 400, a much bigger engine size wise. Monogram tooled up new parts for the engine/transmission, shaker hood scoop, hood and the snowflake wheels replacing the turbo wheels, hood and engine parts for the turbo Trans Am, and those parts were not included with the 79 TA. I am getting started into 3D printing and I am working on parts to replicate Firebirds and Trans Ams from 76-81 to start and I may make up a Pontiac 400 engine, as well as a 455 and 350 as well as Rally II rims and s
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Here's a turbo on eBay. I am surprised how few of them there are and how expensive some of them are - way above the corvettes and jaguars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-MONOGRA...oAAOSwANhfWUfP
    QUOTE QUOTE #7